This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Magpie22

spitfire V C wing

Filing off the "chimney" from an existing wing in wartime - you'd have to have committed some heinous crime to be given that task. I really don't see any point in bothering. You'd be better employed polishing the beast. Graham Boak Sorry Graham, but I'm not so sure about that- the cannon port plate (don't know Supermarine's name for it) is under the leading edge skin on the 'c' wing, so changing it would be at least as major a job as filing off the unwanted chimney. I don't know what the mod process was, but I don't fancy the job either! Gingerbob Fine by me Bob, that shows that changing it in service is even less likely. Graham Boak Hi Graham and Bob, Removing the outer cannon 'Chimney' was unlikely, and apparently a hell of a lot of work, but it was done. I believe that in the UK, "Spitfire Mod 955" covered the "flushing off No.2 cannon projection". I have no info as to whether this work was ever officially done in the UK or not, but it appears that a few MK.IX A/C were modified, when and where I know not. (e.g. MH324, Mk. IX of No. 451 Sqn). However, the mod found its way to Australia where it was incorporated in the RAAF's "Spitfire Order No.3", " Flushing off of No.2 cannon projection and fitment of single cannon blister", of late 1943. This purpose of the modification was to reduce aerodynamic drag. These mods were done on a small number of Spitfire VCs. There is a well known, in-flight, shot of A58-175, (JG796), UP-Z, of No. 79 Squadron, after it had received the mod. (This shot has often been misidentified as a Mk VB). The RAAF quickly came to the same conclusion that you have, i.e. it was a waste of time and resources. In March 1944, the RAAF Technical Section stated, "It has been found that the first part of the modification absorbs more man hours than anticipated and unduly delays erection of aircraft. The finished result is, in appearance, no better than the original streamlined cannon projection covering, and could safely be assumed not to warrant introduction for the labour involved in fitment". The next month, a revised Spitfire Order No.3 was issued. This called only "for the replacement of the double cannon blister panels with the single cannon blister panel of reduced aerodynamic drag in order to improve maximum performance of the aircraft". The mod was only to be done to aircraft that had not received Air Ministry Modification No.782 before delivery to Australia. The new gun doors were manufactured in Australia. Units erecting Spitfire VIII A/C were advised not to remove the No. 2 cannon projections, and the section relating to the single cannon blister did not apply as all MK. VIII A/C were already so fitted. As to the savings that might be gained by modifying the aircraft, the RAAF issued the following estimates. 7 mph gain with multi ejector exhausts in lieu of fish tail triple ejector exhausts. 3 mph gain with new type streamline mirror. 5-6 mph gain with mirror removed, or mounted internally. 2-4 mph gain with removal of outer cannon projection and fitment of single cannon cannon blister panels. 8 mph by smoothing leading edge of wing by stopping, rubbing down, re-painting, and polishing. 3 mph by polishing and waxing rest of the aircraft. So, as graham and Bob concluded, the removal of the outer cannon projection was an utter waste of time and resources. However, there was an Air Min Spitfire Mod covering the work, and someone, not clued up on aerodynamics, may have thought that it was worth the effort, particularly if he could order someone else to have it done to his A/C. Peter
  3. Mick4350

The world just got more ridiculous!

Yes my mistake, that should be 25 Square Kilometres.
  4. BIG X

RAF Emergency Set

Will you be using the driver figures? Their heads are a 'little dodgy' on mine - so I lopped them off and replaced them with PSC British infantry heads. They are both now driving jeeps - which is a bit random I know - but they were the only guys I could find that fitted. I'm looking forward to more on this
  5. Terry1954

Fokker E.iii 1/144 (I'm sick)

This is stunning work indeed. I occasionally do 1/144, mostly airliners, but am drawn to such miniature things! Terry
  6. I cannot see any "glitches" here ... this is a lovely model you should be proud of!
  7. Marklo

DH16 Interior details

This is why I may settle for the DH4a in civilian markings, rather then go the whole hog and make a DH16.
  8. The Tomohawk Kid

An interesting piece of hyperbole

Given its a much cheaper rebox of the Squadron kit thats been around for a little while now, I don't think there is much at stake for Revell. jsut a slow news day methinks. Thomo.
  9. Tony, As long ads you can verify it conforms to rule 12 as set out by Giorgio: "12) Subjects serving in foreign units associated with British armed services are eligible if they are immediately recognisable as part of the foreign unit through their markings. Examples are the various foreign Squadrons serving in WW2 RAF. Those carrying foreign markings will be allows, those carrying British markings will not." Then I don't see any reason why not. What do you have in mind?
  10. John D.C. Masters

Type 97 Chi-Ha medium tank

I remember using the heated end of a screwdriver to melt the rubber 'pins'... I think these Airfix kits, regardless of scale or type, are wonderful. They can be built OOB or embellished as much as one wants. This is good designing.
  11. New boxing - ref. 10315 - Kawasaki Ki-61-Id Hien/"Tony" - silver plated Source: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1147696-tamiya-10315-kawasaki-ki-61-id-hien-tony V.P.
  12. BIG X

Another Short's Stirling.

Really nice looking job Steve - I think you made an excellent decision to go 100% NATO black first - the dark earth overcoat hasn't suffered it looks spot on
  13. perdu

Compucolour/DBI Paints: the full range

I haven't thought much about it but being 'from' back in the day when these were current paints I'd add a small dab of thinner to help eke it out for brushing, on the basis of "when it's gone its gone and you'll wish it wasn't" and add decent amounts of thinners if you intend spraying with it I wish I could pop round to my LMS and collect new supplies as and when...
  14. thanks Roman! There are always glitches, almost no model really turns out as intended. But we can live with it
  15. 3DStewart

Why is life unkind for some people

It's difficult to answer this without going into philosophical and religious beliefs, which I think are against house rules. Scratched corneas will heal and I hope that life will restore the happiness to your fiancée that she's currently missing.
  16. John D.C. Masters

Chill out with a 504...

Thank you...I will! And I'm looking to get back into the fray Sunday evening...
  17. GREG DESTEC

Mitsubishi A6M2b 'Zero'

Very nice, tastefully weathered. Well done
  18. BIG X

Chill out with a 504...

Brilliant job John - enjoy your break - I love the gallery pictures
  19. stevehnz

1:72 Hawker Persian Fury

Now that is some pretty smart modelling, this is looking ever so interesting. Steve.
  20. John D.C. Masters

Chill out with a 504...

Thank you Cliff. The backdrop I picked up fro the Big Yellow Store and I use it for quite a few little scenes. It seems pretty generic. It works.
  21. BIG X

Tim's Avenger

Bagsy I get the rear turret gunners position - daga daga daga daga - There goes another Jap... This looks like it could be a lot of fun.
  22. More Thud-workings? I'll follow along, taking notes on the way...
  23. 3DStewart

An interesting piece of hyperbole

"A spokeswoman emphasized that Revell explicitly distances itself from any kind of glorification of wars and the Nazi period." If this was true they wouldn't produce any German WWII subjects. I wonder if the real reason for it's withdrawal is poor sales?
  24. Lawzer

Tim's Avenger

Proper old school!!
  25. Steve86

Hello from Derbyshire

Hi Todd, welcome along enjoy painting your figures!
  1. Load more activity