Jump to content

Mike N

Members
  • Posts

    755
  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    UK

Recent Profile Visitors

2,580 profile views

Mike N's Achievements

Obsessed Member

Obsessed Member (4/9)

1k

Reputation

  1. Plunging right in, the first thing to do has got to be to sort out the wing position. Along the lines @BritJet illustrated, I marked the cutting lines for the surgery. The lateral cuts were done by razor saw and the longitudinal one was scored using a scriber until thin enough to snap out. Here's a shot part way through that process: After swapping the pieces around and gluing them back in, here's a comparison with the unaltered fuselage half: A lot of tidying up to do but it'll be worth it. Mike
  2. Hi Steve, I agree that's the best way to go about this. The main fuselage looks to be of constant section up to the wing leading edge, just the keel that starts to reduce, but that's not so difficult to sort out. Love the cut and shut imagery, let's hope the plastic version isn't much harder! Mike
  3. Here’s my entry for this GB: the AZ Model Bell X-2 in 1/72. AZ offer a separate boxing for each of the two aircraft produced, although I believe they only differ in the decals. I bought the one for 46-675. This was the first one to fly, initially as a glider, as the engine was slated for 46-674. In the event, an engine was first installed in -675, but during a captive carry flight over Lake Ontario to test airborne procedures, an explosion occurred: X-2 pilot Skip Ziegler and B-50 mothership crewmember Frank Wolko were both lost without trace. The X-2 disintegrated with the debris falling into the lake below, but the B-50 managed to limp back to base and was written off. The other X-2 went on to be the first aircraft to fly at Mach 3, but was lost on the same flight as the aircraft became uncontrollable after turning for home. Although pilot Mel Apt jettisoned the escape capsule, he could not extricate himself in time before it struck the ground and was killed. On to the kit. Here's what you get for your money: My plan is to depict the aircraft as was very early in its life, essentially option 1 in the kit. I have a couple of references that are useful. The Osprey book, while being very readable, unfortunately has no drawings or even dimensional data. The Jay Miller book does have some data and a drawing, but there are some discrepancies with other sources. I did find another drawing on the internet, but I don’t know how good that is either. A lack of references and surviving aircraft makes accurate modelling somewhat difficult! One thing that is immediately apparent is that AZ have got the wing positioned too far forward. Scaling from as many drawings and photos as possible, I reckon the wing leading edge should be about 10mm further aft than on the kit. It’s enough to throw off the look of the model, so I’ll be trying to rectify that. There are also, no doubt, other anomalies, perhaps not surprising given the lack of references and changes made during the programme: for example the landing skids evolved during testing. I will have to rely on photos of my chosen aircraft at a given moment in time to try to get it as right as possible! Thanks for looking, Mike
  4. Superb finish as usual, even better for all the modifications and NMF!
  5. Nice work. I love the simplicity of the Sea Hawks lines, very pleasing.
  6. A very nice finish there. I saw VP-FAZ at Duxford last year and immediately wanted to model it. So far I've been struggling to get the red to my satisfaction... I was at Duxford again yesterday and this time VP-FBL was there. Great stuff Mike
  7. Thank you! There were some lovely models submitted and all were interesting to see come to fruition. Thanks again to the GB admins. Until next time, Mike
  8. Any sign of the cupola yet? I was hoping you'd carry the Conqueror baton over the finish line as mine has stumbled Regardless, I hope you'll share some more pictures of the (almost) completed article, it was looking really good! Mike
  9. That's a lovely finish, especially the subtle weathering Mike
  10. Unfortunately I am not going to finish this in time, even with the extension already granted. I am not too far off but don't want to rush it as I'm enjoying the new techniques I'm learning from stepping out of my comfort zone and into the world of armour modelling. Here is where I've got to. The main components are painted in the overall colour, with a couple of gloss coats, and decals on: I used Xtracolor's X814 Deep Bronze Green, which is matt from the tin. At first I was worried I would have to re-paint it as it was not the colour I saw in reference photos, but as those show a semi-gloss finish (on in-service vehicles at least, some museum ones are dead flat and faded) I decided to persevere and laid on a coat of Alclad Klear Kote Gloss - the resulting colour was much better (to my eyes anyway). I'll probably tone down the shine a little before adding some light weathering. The difference in tone between the colour airbrushed 'out of the tin' under the hull and the glossed front can be seen in this photo, and it's even starker in reality. Painting the tracks left me scratching my head for a while, but after a bit of research I went with an airbrushed base coat of dark grey. This was followed with a dirt wash, as per the photo below. Next up will be some metallic drybrushing of the guide horns, the areas where the wheels run and the outer surfaces, I'll aim to get it finished in the coming weeks and post it in RFI. Thanks to @Adam Poultney and @Enzo Matrix for facilitating the GB, it's been a blast! There are some superb builds in the gallery and I'll look forward to participating in another one in the near future. Mike
  11. Very nice and smart, great stuff! Mike
  12. Stunning stuff, really eye-catching!
×
×
  • Create New...