Jump to content

TheRealMrEd

Members
  • Content Count

    778
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

3,019 Excellent

2 Followers

About TheRealMrEd

  • Rank
    Obsessed Member
  • Birthday 04/06/1944

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Marietta, Georgia USA
  • Interests
    1/72 US military aircraft and small scale r/c aircraft.

Recent Profile Visitors

1,844 profile views
  1. Oops, hit the wrong button again, before I was finished.... dementia setting in? Anyway, to finish the update, "A" below shows the front edge of the elevators, which need rounding, and "B" shows the rear edge of the horizontal stabilizers, which need to have a concave surface, for which I used a tiny needle file: As a matter of fact, I have done this mod before, using only a sharp #11 blade, but it is much easier and less messy to use proper tools. Above right, the horizontal stabilizers have been glued to the fuselage, leaving the elevators to
  2. Another brief update... Below the nose addition to the fuselage was puttied, as well as other small areas of the fuselage. These were sanded, and then the wings added. It took a little weight on the fuse with the wings supported from beneath, to get a realistic amount of dihedral on the wings. It also required a small amount of putty on the front of the wings, as well as the wing-to-fuse join in the front: Above right, the lower nose-to-wing join required some putty, but, truth be told, I could have done a more careful job if fitting the nose, which woul
  3. I believe their was a small problem with the chin intake, but a search on line should reveal some discussion about it. I forget the details, since I last built one around 1973... Ed
  4. I believe the deep keel mod became standard on the P-47-C-2 Ed
  5. Biggest problem with the LF kits that I've messed with are very faint printing of instructions, and poor instructions where you can read them. I'm used to the simple "blow-up" illustrations for resin models (this is half plastic and partly resin), but in this case some useful guidance on how to position the instrument panel and the PE part containing the rudder pedals would have been nice -- they didn't seem to fit the space provided, so I had to fake it! Fortunately, you can't see a lot in the cockpit when it's closed up, anyway. Ed
  6. Yup, hit the wrong button before I finished writing the update! Sorry about that! Ed
  7. Hello folks! After finally completing my XP-47B prototype build, I finally got a chance to resume work on the XP-42. In jumping back and forth between the two models, I probably skipped a couple of pictures, but that's the way it goes... Shown below, some work on the cockpit area: Here, a little assembly has been done, with some items painted and a wash applied. When dry, the excess will be scrubbed off, leaving the details enhanced a little. The PE seatbelts have been painted and glued into place; they will be bent down into more natural pos
  8. Thanks for the kind comments, everyone! In the end, it was an interesting build, and a rather challenging one as well. Wasn't sure I could pull it off, but faint heart n'er won, etc., etc. Ed
  9. Well, I've managed to finish my 1/72 conversion of the XP-47B Prototype, using the Academy P-47D razorback kit. For those interested, the build thread is here: XP-47B Build And some pictures: Above pic is a good example of why all decals need to be top-coated with some kind of clear, when laid over bare metals finishes; three of the prop logos have fallen off, after only about a week, because I didn't get around to doing that. Now I gotta find more, and add them again! And last, just a compar
  10. Hello again. Well, as often happens, real life once again interfered with modeling, so I'm sure a missed a few pictures here and there. In any event, here's what I have now. First up, here's how I install those pesky antenna wires: Above, a hole is drilled into the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer ("A") and then a piece of Invisible Thread (available at sewing shops) is glued in, using CA. At "B" above, the kit's antenna was shortened and shaped in accordance with photos of the XP-47B. Then a tiny hole was drilled into the bottom of th
  11. TheRealMrEd

    F-35b

    None of the American "B"s are being used off fields or dirt runways, like the the Harriers sometimes were. They fly off from and land on aircraft carrier decks or hard-pack runways, which are still walked for FOD removal on a reqular basis, at least on the carriers. Can't speak for other nations using the bird... Ed
  12. Some might find this link useful, as it covers pretty much everything.... Laven's F-100C Ed
  13. Thanks Brigbeale, You've got to do a bubble-top to get the D, M, N or versions anyway, so you might as well get on with it! Back with just a brief update, due to a rather stupid mistake on my part! After toning down the shine a bit with some Alclad II Klear Kote Light Sheen AC111, I noticed finally that I'd forgotten to fill the hole for the location of the original antenna, which needs to be shortened and moved forward for the XP-47B: and the other side: I glued in a scrap piece of stretched sprue, and after that's tr
×
×
  • Create New...