Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

2,278 Excellent

About johnlambert

  • Rank
    Very Obsessed Member
  • Birthday 07/04/1976

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
  • Interests
    Mostly cars and trains, some aircraft and sci-fi.

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. You could even try something like Tacky Wax, which holds surprisingly well but not permanently and is less bulky than Blutac, although it might leave more of a residue on the paint.
  2. One more pic, The decals on the dashboard have been sealed in (I hope) with a coat of matt varnish that I'm telling myself gives the dashboard a leather-like sheen.
  3. Quite a lot more done on the Maserati. Quick mock up with the wheels. One of the rims wanted to sit more proud of the tyre. On inspection this appeared to be moulded slightly deeper than the others so has been filed down on its inner edge. As I think I mentioned, you don't get any interior side panels, so I decided to bodge something together. There were two types of dashboard and door card used on Maserati Indys and the type that is right for the model has a trapezoidal arm rest/door pull, a leather pocket at the front of the door and a panel of diagonal
  4. I picked up a few things this week. I asked my local model shop to put the Jaguar kit aside for me before the lockdown and when I saw the Fiat kit I thought it would go nicely with my Tamiya 1960s 500s. I also picked up a few bits for my N gauge model railway.
  5. All the old-school Airfix kits I've seen have pretty good under sides. Even the E-type has quite a nice reproduction of the Jaguar IRS. It's a pity the bit on top, which you spend most of your time looking at, isn't better done in some cases (not the Maserati, it must be said).
  6. There were so many good sightings today, I just wish I could have got photos of some of them: Porsche 928 Austin Healey 3000 in red Two TVR Cerberas And an Aerial Atom
  7. I was surprised how well they went on. It was helpful that the decal sheet was printed so that the dials were in the same order as they go on the dashboard. I also think they're printed by Cartograph, which people seem to regard as a good thing (certainly if this example is anything to go by).
  8. A little more progress. All the under-gubbins is in place. Anyone tacking this kit, be aware that the anti-tramp bar on the back axle and the exhaust system are slightly tricky to fit. so are the rear dampers, it all fits together but there are lots of bits to line up before assembly. I'm glad I glued the springs to the axle before installing them. Tyres sprayed with Tamiya NATO black. Getting the interior together. The seats sit at an odd angle but I've decided to go for the carpet. Some pictures I've seen suggest that Indys have quit
  9. I've done something similar with sheets of A4 but bigger sheets definitely give a better result.
  10. What a beauty, those underbody shots look like a real car that's rolled onto its side. The outside pictures look like it's ready for a nice road trip.
  11. That is an absolute gem. The paint finish is superb and the details really bring it to life.
  12. Another beautiful model, it looks like a car that's been driven, you can practically hear the tick of cooling metal.
  13. More work on the underside of the Maserati. Assembling the rear suspension. It was dry assembled with Blutac and then the springs, axle and prop-shaft were glued with Humbrol Liquid Poly. Axle and some other underside parts painted with Vallejo steel. Quick look at the dashboard, it needs decals adding for the dials and some of the switches need picking out.
  14. About thirty years ago (where has the time gone?) I read a magazine article where they drove a W154; it was the end of a series where they had driven various great racing cars, including the Porsche 917 and the W154's indirect descendant the W196. The conclusion was that the drivers of the 1930s were probably the bravest of them all. When you consider that the W154 pilot was seated in front of a big fuel tank and under another fuel tank (in the scuttle), driving at speeds approaching 200mph on skinny tyres with no aerodynamic aids; you can see their point.
  15. Just a quick update. Engine and rear seats glued in place, chrome added to the ashtrays and I found some brown felt in Hobbycraft so I thought I'd see how that looked as boot carpet. I think it's turned out quite well, so I might use it on the floor between the seats.
  • Create New...