This stream auto-updates
Something along those lines. Although you can buy fine pumice gel and various other ‘texture’ gels that may suit the scale better. That’ll be the way I’d try to do it. A fine hair comb or even a hacksaw blade? Mart
Hi Shaun, I was more concerned about the plaster used for the tree. I really hope you don't have cracking in the future because that foliage is looking great so far. I'm not sure how much more you're planning to add, but try to leave some spaces here and there so you can see into the centre of the tree in places, and even straight through to the other side. The last tree I made would have been a lot better, and quicker and cheaper to make, if I hadn't gotten carried away and filled in all the gaps! Rearguards, Badder
- Last week
MickE replied to Gimme Shelter's topic in Ready For Inspection - DioramasLooks brilliant, very dramatic and I think it looks better than before.
Ozzy replied to Gimme Shelter's topic in Ready For Inspection - DioramasFantastic build,
Wet and dry paper is by far the best solution for British flight decks picking the grade depending upon the scale. I think I used 320 grade for my 1/32 Sea Venom and I'm currently finishing a couple of 400 grade decks for a 1/48 Firefly and 1/48 Seahawk. Probably 600 grade would do 1/72 but I don't do that scale anymore so have never tried it! However, as you rightly observe, USN flight decks are far, far coarser than Royal Navy and they do have those stripes. I think the first time I landed on-board a US carrier (NIMITZ herself IIRC) I was slightly shocked by how grainy it is but then when you're manoeuvring 18 ton aircraft on a wet, slippery deck, you need all the help you can get (she was full of F14s when I was there). The wet and dry paper technique is far too uniform for a US carrier deck. Personally I think I would go for a reasonably fine sand sprinkled over the board that is already covered in wet PVA. Whilst it's still wet you could try combing it into rough lines and then with an old household paintbrush scrub lightly from left to right at 90 degrees to the combing to break up the uniformity. Shake off the excess and spray the whole thing with dilute PVA. It may work, it may not.
Up on her own wheels today. Much like the F.2 Blue Circle radar, she needs some nose weight. Not long now until decals. Need some more work on the canopy and external antenna & probes. The preshading seems to have come out ok, could still do with a wash over to bring out the panel joints.
Thank you for the replies! I do like the ideas, although I think what I'm going for is more of a 'groove' type of effect which seems to be how the deck appears on the Nimitz class, at least. I think you can sort of get an idea of it in the image below. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic in thinking that effect is even possible to achieve, especially for someone as inexperienced as myself! But willing to give it a go nonetheless!
Hi guys! So I'm planning on creating my own deck scene for a 1/32 Super Hornet I've finished, and my current plan is to create the rough texture using a (thinned, I guess?) putty and a 0.5 zimmerit tool along with Flightpath's tie-down set. My question is whether anyone has advice or preferences as to a particular putty to use for this? I was thinking of Tamiya Polyester Putty and thinning it with Mr Color Thinner? Would the putty go down well over wood?
Thank you @Badder and @Major_Error for your very kind comments and the advice.In the meantime I have reinforced the plaster base with cold glue so I do not think that it will crack anytime soon I hope............. Well I have been up to no good in the meantime and here is what I have come up with in the meantime.I know it does not look like much but I am a first timer after all......LOL As always comments and advice is welcomed. Regards: Shaun
After getting the light grey on the underside of the body yesterday I had a go at the grey on the sides. Then got carried away, glued on the tail and sprayed the rest. The tail horizontals are just pushed on, and the nose is still loose. The cockpit needs more work now it is uncovered. The reverse thrust things are still not there & neither is the undercarriage and the canopy is not at all painted. but it’s progress I think
Most OnlineNewest Member
Who's Online 92 Members, 2 Anonymous, 241 Guests (See full list)
- Derek A
- Duncan B
- Swamp Donkey
- Greg B
- Paul E
- Steve Coombs
- Roman Schilhart
- David A Collins
- Jon Bryon
- Heather Kay
- Olivier de St Raph
- Michael M
- Ryan Hothersall
- Max Headroom
- Roger Newsome
- Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies
- Classic 315