This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Yes - definitely. And the A-4 is really nice kit too so can't go wrong with that box. - - - - - - - - - - - - Alright, here's what I have planned - atleast for the initial strike. I don't want to get greedy, but if I have time left in the end, there might be more... Sitting on top of the pile is my Airfix MiG-17 and on the right some reference material. Highly recommended btw, great read! Close-up of the MiG-17 (or Shenyang J-5 to be precise). I have not built too many vietnam war era planes yet - but enough to it become obvious that the little Shengyang is getting outnumbered and is in dire need of reinforcements! So we're gonna fix that now!
  3. Hopefully he cargo jets will have a good life span ahead of them, tbh I've never taken to the 380, think it's pretty ugly. Do miss the 340's though. I've been watching a few airport spotting videos recently trying to improve my recognition skills on the twin jets - failing miserably so far, can just about pick out a 777......!! Keith
  4. Perfect, just perfect!!! I love it!!! It may be a liiitle bit dirtier, but it is OK this way.
  5. @JohnT, its a PR thing. The taxpayers have funded some new equipment and this is a way of showing that its in service and delivering. It’s also “soft power” messaging. When it comes to “fleets”, well that seems to be one of the more recent buzzwords in the never ending game of buzzword bingo; everything is a fleet now. As for a “squadron” it’s is more than just a number of aircraft, it’s about the people as well, so Poseidon will have (at least) 2 squadrons, so when 201 reform in a couple of years, fleet does start to become more appropriate (although the traditionalist in me says that’s a “wing” (RAF) not a fleet (RN))
  6. I've been waiting until now to reveal my third entry in this group build so I can once again say "on this day (14th August) 80 years ago". Not to mention I didn't have the kit yet and wasn't sure how long it would take, with international post as it is right now. Fortunately it came today in the post. I've chosen this aircraft as it's a fitting tribute to the ground crews who helped keep the fighters of Fighter Command flying, as you'll see. Also the battle described below took place more or less over where I used to live in the New Forest region of Hampshire. This combat appears to have been particularly confused due to many factors including heavy cloud and pilots' aircraft recognition skills (or lack thereof, noting that of course this wouldn't be easy in combat conditions looking through an armoured windscreen!). Not to mention that the references I've used contradict each other at times. But this is my interpretation of it, based on pilots' reports, Operations Record Books, and various references including the Battle of Britain Combat Archive (Parry), Battle over Britain (Francis K. Mason) and the Battle of Britain: Then & Now. In fact Parry's book contains photos taken from the Ju88s on the raid, as a war photographer made up part of the crew on one of the aircraft. In the late afternoon of 14th August 1940, large numbers of aircraft were plotted approaching the West Country. On this day heavy clouds hampered the Luftwaffe's ability to mount large coordinated raids; instead up to 100 aircraft set out in small groups to attack a number of airfields. Among the various formations were three Junkers 88s of Lehrgeschwader 1, flown by Hauptman Kern, Oberleutnant Soderman and Oberleutnant Heinrici. Two Spitfires of 609 Squadron based at Middle Wallop were airborne and were vectored towards the raid. These were Flying Officer John Dundas (Yellow 1, in R6961 "PR-P") and Sergeant Alan Feary (Yellow 2, in L1065 "PR-E"). The pilots spotted one of the Ju88s flying in the opposite direction and wheeled around. Dundas engaged one of these aircraft, misidentifying it as a Messerschmitt 110, and fired a four second burst at it but he quickly lost it in cloud. At this point the bombers dived through cloud to deliver their bomb loads on Middle Wallop airfield. Kern's bombs exploded near No. 4 and No. 5 hangar and Soderman's landed harmlessly on the north-eastern edge of the airfield. Heinrici's bombs however scored a direct hit on No.5 Hangar, demolishing it and killing Cpl R. W. Smith, LAC H. Thorley and LAC K. Wilson, who were crushed by the hangar doors as they struggled bravely to close them to protect the Spitfires and Blenheims inside. Cpl F. H. Appleby was also injured by the blast. The photo below shows the extent of the damage. Feary dived through the cloud hoping to intercept the bombers as they emerged, and at 8,000 feet he spotted Heinrici's aircraft finishing its bomb run. Feary gave chase and fired ten seconds of ammunition into the hapless bomber, which dived and crashed near North Charford. Plt Off David Crook, who was flying one of seven Spitfires scrambled urgently as the attackers departed, spotted the downed Junkers and "had never seen an aeroplane so thoroughly wrecked; it was an awful mess". Two of the four-man crew were killed. This was the first of three patrols Feary flew in L1065 that afternoon. On his second flight he spotted four more Ju88s and attacked with no apparent result. On his third he intercepted yet another bomber bombing the airfield but this escaped in cloud. Feary flew throughout the Battle of Britain as the only NCO pilot on 609 Squadron, and was credited with shooting down five aircraft, with one probable, one unconfirmed shared, and four damaged. He was sadly killed in combat on 7th October 1940 when he was bounced by Bf109s; he baled out of his stricken Spitfire N3238 but fell with his parachute partly opened near Warmwell. L1065 was one of 609 Sqn's veteran aircraft. Delivered to 609 Sqn on 6 September 1939, it flew with the squadron throughout the Battle of Britain. Its first kill was a Do17 credited to Plt Off R. F. G. Miller on 13 July 1940. Sgt Feary also used it to damage a Bf110 and destroy a Ju87 on 13 August 1940. On 7 November, L1065 was passed to 7 O.T.U. and was used by several other OTUs throughout the next few years before becoming an "instructional airframe" in 1947. The below photo shows L1065, probably at Northolt in June 1940. This build will be dedicated to Alan Feary (Derby's "forgotten ace") and the ground crews of Fighter Command, many of whom were killed or wounded in their efforts to keep Fighter Command flying. The kit I'm looks a gem: I may add resin extras such as exhausts if availability and time taken in the post allow. Although I'm keen to get cracking on this, don't expect too much progress on this just yet, I'll make a start once there's more room on my workbench! Matt
  7. @S-boat 55, this is a fabulous kit, I have the 'Markgraf' sister-ship in my stash and it looks wonderful. The deck issue is a known problem, but solvable by all accounts. The parts are very impressive, and I will be watching your progress. All the best, Ray
  8. Neat work Stuart. I like the paint and weathering. Nice one. John.
  9. Beautiful Catalina. My 1/72 now sits on a stand due to undercarriage collapse too. The cat just needs too much weight to get it to sit on the nosewheel and plastic and glue isn't up to the job, especialy with the wide track.
  10. This is an early J type Wal and the type I am building. I also want to try to imitate the dents and profile on the sides of the hull. Many pictures can be found on the site of the Nimh-beeldbank.defensie.
  11. these two are very good sites, but you do sort of have to go down the "Rabbit hole" to find what you need, but there are some great hard to find photos and info in both. http://wings-aviation.ch This one is mostly new stuff, but there are pages inside that go back past the Vietnam era even. Plus lots of great photos from then and deployment details. http://www.seaforces.org
  12. Minor update.... The underside and pontoon have now been painted up, and I think the Light Sand colour is spot on! Needs a little tidying up, but generally, quite happy with the result. so far. The mount was also painted up in its base coat too. I'm still in 2 minds about the strips though. the extension would only need to be a few mm's each side to balance it out though? Now the base colours are all done, its down to the fin detailing and a little panel line washes. Not too much, just a subtle amount of weathering.
  13. 'Morning Darryl. Thanks for the comments. Yes, the RB barrels are a vast improvement. The only problem is painting. Even when sprayed, the inner barrel (as opposed to the cooling jacket), remains brass and shows through. To get around this, I've started brushing them with inks as this penetrates better. John.
  14. Oh dear! I on the other hand must enforce a strict 1.5m viewing limit on all of my models!
  15. Very interesting additional story. BTW - it is interesting that the Polish check-board insignia has a correct, I mean pre-war orientation, with red on left upper corner,not the "French style" rotated by 90 degree... On this photo the dark spot left from tail night suggest, that fire took place right here. On the other hand the walls are to white as for place after big fire... Regards J-W
  16. A first class build, magnificently presented. A real feast for the eyes. Tony.
  17. I have applied a coat of Humbrol Gloss clear and applied the kit decals except the roundels, which I have replaced with Hannants roundels, as the kit decals were printed off-centre and the red's were very bright. I trimmed around the code letters to get rid of the clear carrier film between the letters, as I was not sure if it would silver too much. I might try a panel wash before applying a matt coat, I'll see.
  18. Everyone knows the famous A-1 Skyraider but less so it’s multi-seat cousin. Designed for the Navy as an advanced anti-submarine aircraft she was lengthened by close to 2’ and widened by 9” to allow for side-by-side seating, with a rear compartment special equipment and 1 or 2 operators. All this space in the back also allowed for some interesting adaptions, a VIP transport, 4 stretchers could be loaded or up to 12 people!!! Not so squeezy!! It was in the role with the Airforce as a support aircraft for aircrew recover that the A-1E “Sandy” and her single seat “Spad” cousin really excelled. Though an extremely hazardous job, they could stay with the rescue choppers, long time over target, take heaps of damage, and carried a bucket load of things that go bang! This is one of those aircraft I knew I had to build from the first time I saw it, think it may have been the old matchbox model from way back in the early 80’s! Unfortunately, that’s the newest version of this model in any scale! The rest are all 1/72nd and versions based on the original 197?’s Monogram model. Then by chance I happened to read about the Fisher Model conversion kit for a 1/32nd version and knew it had to be mine. Unfortunately this was around the time their factory (and property) were destroyed by fire in those tragic bushfires in LA a few years ago. But I managed to find one on evilBay for a wee bit less than my firstborn and all was good in the world! Risking the chance of getting all hot an bothered I will only just so you all that resin loveliness!!!! The fuselage is pretty much one piece… …….and she’s a big sucker! The conversion kit is made for any of the Trumpeter A-1 Skyraider kits or if you’re feeling very flush one of the Zoukei-Mura ones. There’s a lot of bits in here that will go into the spares box…..unless I buy extra sprues? So far the only extra is some Brass barrels…..though that’s going to change. Scheme, well it’ll be the that of the most famous Sandy of all, 132649 flown by Major Burnie Fisher who won the Medal of Honor on one such mission in March 66. https://skyraider.org/skyassn/fisher/fishermoh.htm I have been waiting to build this one for some time now and I finally get too, I just hope time will be good to me. But if not I do have a couple of backup plans…..and no sorry, no chance of doing a WWEMD!! ....full resin with extra resin AM stuff!!! or this... ...with correct decal set!
  19. Time for a quick stock take from me. I failed with the Sunderland, Skyhawk and T34.... Boo. But the F4 and a few others went well... Hooray! Enough Panto stuff, it's summer after all. A most enjoyable GB with so many top notch models appearing along with all kinds of memories. I had a great time from start to finish. Thank you organisers, you did a great job. Here's my completed models... Tony.
  20. Me again! I have also just dug out the Aircraft Illustrated Special on the dH89 and in the centre is a couple of nice photos of G-AHKV with some descriptions of the "sophisticated array of radio and navigation equipment, including a Bendix SCR269A Automatic radio compass and Ekco VHF and three other pieces of radio gear, including a fan market receiver"This put too much of a load on the electrical system and "the port Queen III was modified to drive a 1000W generator producing 24V" The photo shows a different setup behind the pilot and extra aerials and an acorn fairing above the cabin. The altered area behind the pilot is shown in the photo from the Tomahawk Kid above.
  21. With the underside sealed in I began masking up for the camo pattern on top. Revell would have you mix 20% blue with 80% white for the lighter areas. Following the instructions I did so and gave the build a blast. It was simply too light. Basically it looked off white, so I began adding more blue until I had the right kind of contrast, and sprayed again. This time it loomed much better so I stuck with this shade. Once dry I used the original mix to airbrush some highlights and then unmasked the build. Later I sealed it in with Quick shine varnish, next onto the blue.
  22. Its a pleasure Steve. I never know if what I'm saying is just obvious stuff that everyone knows, of if it can help some people. Nice to know its of use. Really, I don't know another practical way to build clinker hulls that show the inner planking and to my mind, that little detail makes all the difference. Ship building is all about the little details. As I've written before, the difference to me between a nice modal and a great model is the closer you get, it should get better not worse Steve
  23. This looks fantastic! Looking forward to seeing your build with it too, perhaps in the not too distant future? I've seen some of the Laputa kits as well. the 20" Robot Soldier especially
  24. I remember back in the early 80's and hearing that whining turbo fan noise and going out in the back garden. At that time we lived on the outskirts of town, also it was when the A10 was first deployed to the UK. It was an overcast day and there over the fields and pretty low were several A10's banking around in circles several were in Euro1 camouflage except one and that was in full wrap around dessert camouflage after several minutes they formed up and headed out to the ranges.
  1. Load more activity