All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Hi everybody, I am at the moment more or less finishing the Mirage IIICJ from Modelsvit (1:72). Following the kit's instructions I painted the wheelwells, the interior of the landing-gear doors and the landing-gear legs aluminium. I guess that is basically correct for French jets of this era. However, now I have seconds thoughts. Is this correct for a camouflaged Israeli Mirage? More specifically, I am building a post-1973 aircraft with the large black/yellow triangles on wings and tail. Photos of IDF Neshers from the same time frame seem to show landing-gear doors painted in a white colour. On Youtube I found a walkaround of a Mirage IIICJ in the Israeli Air Force Museum where these parts also look white or even light blue like the underside of the aircraft (so much dirt and dust that it is hard to tell). So what do you think? Are Modelsvit's instructions wrong or not? Thanks in advance! Ole
  3. some more decal progress repainted the nose again, looks better this way DSC_0003 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr DSC_0004 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr
  4. @Redstaff, Thanks for that. Yes, I did find it awkward, but ultimately more fun than awkward. I have noticed a humungous seam under the headlight that I totally missed when building the kit, but I am probably going to leave it as it would be - you guessed - awkward to deal with!
  5. almost done, should be ready for posting on the weekend DSC_0005 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr
  6. Shame about the decals Neddy, hope the replacements turn up soon. Will do.... Keith
  7. These are wonderful contributions to the groupbuild. Your vacuform handling is superb. Hail to a fellow 'this-is-not-OOB' modeller!
  8. Thanks Keith really pleased to have the engine assembly done, not sure if the oil staining is correct, I have surmised due to the exposed rockers etc , pleased with the overall effect though. There are another set of cowling supports to go on the backs of the heads too, will see how I can do that. Thanks Mark, very kind, really chuffed with it, just have to make the rest of it like it now😬 Thanks Roger, was looking at the photos on BM from Ettiene Du Pleisse and managed to just make them out, tge brackets too, so glad to have found those. Oooo does this mean you have another to do??? I have a Mk1 to do too. Been wanting to do this one for ages. Thanks guys Chris
  9. sprayed some Mr Paint grey primer on and painted the anti-corrosion area on the belly with Mr Paint White Aluminium mixed with a drop of the grey primer DSC_0001 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr DSC_0002 by grimreaper110, auf Flickr
  10. Picking up the microscopic photo etch. There is a product called Micro stix which is like a toothpick with a blob of non hardening sticky stuff on the end. I found another guy who said he licks the tip of his finger, picks the part up with that, then transfers it to the tweezers. The model ship guys are probably experts at this.
  11. So, two years ago I retired from my job in the Fire Service as I'd done my time and could. Being used to working full time, I'd got another job before I finished, so after two months off, started working three days per week at the local college as I didn't feel ready for a 7 day weekend. Two years on, I'm now lecturing in Protective Services, so using my knowledge and experience, and am over half way through a Diploma in Education and Training ..... The income allows for some extra saving and treats, and it keeps me busy. Keith 😁
  12. The model progresses. I'm still unsure exactly how the inboard section of the flaps should be posed. I added the canopy, only using one of the etch parts that go on it for fear of getting superglue where it doesn't belong. I did consider an open canopy, but decided against it in the end just to keep things simple. Very few of my models have open canopies anyway. The prop isn't glued together, it holds well enough without just for now. I'll paint the prop and spinner separately.
  13. I joined on January 16 2008. Geeze! We're lifers! Chris
  14. Ooooooo they look lovely Roger, great paint,decals and effects. Cracking work fella, hope you enjoy your long weekend. Chris
  15. Interesting to hear all of that @AleTar. I guess we are still waiting for the definitive Bf109F kit in this scale. Do you think the Eduard Gs are better?
  16. Hello, actually this new Eduard Bf-109 family is much improved in shape, and overall it is not that far from being accurate. For sure has its inaccuracies, but even Zvezda and even Tamiya has some. Simply it is a pity that Eduard can't get a design completely right at the third attempt!
  17. Happy BM Birthday @Enzo the Magnificent! You're part of the fixtures and fittings now! Keith 😁
  18. Agreed, now with Hobbyboss kits that will result on three different modeling camps regarding A-4
  19. I continue to be amazed at how you can effectively paint such intricate assemblies.
  20. Very nice job! USAF Museum reckons the white stripes were applied over OD Green not red and she was used for formation practice as opposed to a brightly coloured formation ship?
  21. Hi Francis, Thank you for your comment and feedback, very much appreciated. Keith 😁
  22. I have built one RS Models kit, Reggiane Re 2005, and have four other kits in the stash, BFC-2, Caudron C-445, Cr. 714 and MB 151. They are all really nicely molded, practically flash free. So I am just surprised that these Lightnings are so different, maybe the moulds are made from another material, or very worn. That's all. Maybe I should have added an emoji, so that everyone can recognize a joke. Plastic doesn't have feelings, as far as I am aware.
  1. Load more activity