Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

quangster

Members
  • Content Count

    188
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

463 Excellent

About quangster

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Brussels

Recent Profile Visitors

326 profile views
  1. Wow, great link, Jari. Very interesting pics indeed, especially the Voodoos from Ubon. Incidentally, I chose to represent a generic RF-101C from Udorn, Thailand. The time period is late 1965- early 1966 not long after camouflage was introduced. The a/c carried minimal markings, with only the small serial on the tail. The familiar 2-letter tail code was only introduced in 1968. FYI, the 'real' RF-101C-55-MC #56-0220 of the 45th TRS was lost on March 7, 1966 over Vinh , North Vietnam. Here are some pics of the model with the decals on. The oversized 15-inch star-and-bars provided by KH were not used. The decals came from a variety of sources , mostly ancient Microscale revived with Micro Decal Liquid Film. The model has been given a coat of Gauzy Shine Enhancer – a Future-like gloss varnish marketed by AK Interactive – before and after decal application. Hope you like it, Cheers, Quang
  2. Well, these photos were definitely not taken in the USA if you consider the quonset huts and the bare-chested crew man. Nor was it taken in 1964 because the 3-tone camouflage and the ministars on the second RF-101 were only introduced in 1965. So where and when could they be taken? I’m curious. Quang
  3. According to Wikipedia, the photograph of #512 posted by @Junchan was taken in 1965 at Tan Son Nhut, Vietnam. Here's another pic of #512 returning from mission in company of another RF-101 in standard SEA colours. The camouflage pattern of the latter is one of two in use before the official TO 1-1-4 was approved. Cheers, Quang
  4. Indeed the large stars and bars were used on some RF-101A during camouflage trials in conjunction with U.S. AIR FORCE script on the nose. @Space Ranger @Des That answers my question. The kit decals are definitively too large. Thank you gents for your input. Cheers, Quang
  5. Hello guys, While researching the markings for my RF-101 build, it looks to me that different-sized national insignia were used on the camouflaged RF-101 Voodoo. The decals provided with the KH kit are somewhat larger from what I see on the period photographs. My question is: what is the 'official' size of the 'ministars' used on USAF combat planes during this period? Thank you for your help. Cheers, Quang
  6. FYI the above @madcop is my long-time modelling compadre Daniel (it’s him with the dirty nails in the photo). He takes care of the technical side (like turning the pressure valve on the compressor), makes masks, cleans the airbrush, provides food (Lotus) and beverage while I’m doing the hard work. Oh, He also provides the paints . So I don’t mind if he’s grumpy from time to time. Cheers, Q
  7. Remember the time when all we had was Humbrol ‘Authentics’. Then came Precision Paints and Xtracolors and we felt like spoiled children MRP is a very forgiving paint. It comes already thinned, airbrush-ready and dries almost instantly into a thin, smooth hard shell. You can do several passes on the same spot without having the paint piling up. To achieve a small overspray, I removed the blu-tack and went over the demarcation lines free-hand with the airbrush very close (1mm) to the surface to be painted and using reduced pressure (about 0,8 psi). Thank you Ben. Glad you like it! Quang
  8. @Biggles87 @basket Merci pour vos encouragements, chers amis. @Nikolay Polyakov the different zones were delimited by rolls of blue tack and filled up by airbrushing. The borders between colours were then reworked free-hand until the right amount of overspray was achieved. A long and tedious process, I admit. For the waves on the lower line, I made a mask from thin cardboard and stuck it in position with blue tack. A small 1 mm gap between the cardboard and the surface to be painted would allow for the right amount of overspray. Hope this help, Quang
  9. Back to bidness. :x PAINTING THE CAMOUFLAGE After some soul-searching, I decided on a generic RF-101C based in Vietnam ca. 1966-1967 just after the introduction of camouflage and before the advent of the two-letter tail codeThe 4 camouflage tones - FS34079 Forest Green, FS34102 Dark Green, FS30219 Sierra Tan, FS36622 Light Grey - were defined but not an official scheme. Apparently, there were two distinct schemes in use at the period. One would become the official one. Of course, we’ll choose the other. SEA camouflage is very popular. Every paint manufacturer has its own interpretation. Following my friend Daniel’s advice, I opted for MRP/ Mr Paint, an acrylic lacquer for its resilience and fidelity to colours. We just replaced the Dark Green FS34102 (too light to my eyes) by a Luftwaffe Dark Green RLM70 of the same make. Firstly, an overall coat of Forest Green is applied on the upper surfaces Blue Tack rolls were used to define the various colour zones 3 tones applied The kit in our friend Daniel’s capable hands The completed camouflage before final touch-up That’s it, folks. Until next time, Quang
  10. Indeed! Especially in dissimilar fashion when only one tank is carried
  11. @bentwaters81tfw I changed the pic to hyperlink. Thanks Frank for the heads-up. Cheers, Q
  12. Another difference is the presence of vents at the base of the fin of the-A. Click HERE Back to the build. I’ll be away from my desk during the next ten days so there won’t be any update of the build during that period. Anyhow here is one last walkaround of the model before it goes to the paint shop at my return. cheers, Quang
  13. A very sensible solution. Thank you Alan for sharing. Quang
×
×
  • Create New...