Jump to content

As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

27 Good

About wmcgill

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. wmcgill

    Eindekker questions

    The best single reference is the quite new Windsock Fokker Eindecker Compendium part 2. Airfix is best, for an E.II and early production E.III (these are essentially the same as each other). The late production E.III had the magazine in the cockpit, not off the starboard side like the E.II and early production E.III. The original Fokker E.III Windsock Datafile plans have major problems (reprinted not to correct scale and some details).
  2. No ID with the ebay sale, but the other photo of this scene published in the Datafile (and Cross & Cockade Volume 13 Number 3 from 1972) identify it as coming from Flieger-Abteilung (A) 292b. This same photo also confirms the common C.IIa style of lMG 08 forward firing machine gun (not a captured Lewis gun). And no mouth or eye painted on the nose.
  3. This would appear to be the real aircraft.Unfortunately the color scheme appears to be based on an old profile illustration and not a real aircraft (that I have ever seen proof of). The mouth & eyes are copied from a single famous C.II. The diamond shaped fish scales would appear to have been an invention of the original illustrator. A single photo was published in the Windsock Datafile and a 2nd (clearer) photo was recently listed/sold on eBay (photo linked above). Comparing both photos confirm it was an early production C.IIa and that the fish scales are not diamond shaped, they are shaped much more like real fish scales. Unless of course the drawing accurately illustrates a different Roland which exists in a photo lost to history.
  4. wmcgill

    Colour of Rigging Wires

    At least we have progressed somewhat from "For Pete's sake, the RFC/RNAS/RAF didn't paint rigging wires..." to agreeing that "....bracing wires on some aircraft are painted". Small steps is all it takes.
  5. wmcgill

    Colour of Rigging Wires

    The reference to horizon blue French rigging was as a refutation to the assertion that on war planes they would not bother painting rigging. Clearly they did. Perhaps "demanded" was too strong a word since it appears to have been too distracting. By all means keep believing the RFC, RNAS & RAF never had thier RAF wires painted/japanned. Your WW1 models will probably still look very nice. Especially nice if you prefer the jewel-like glistening shiny silver rigging. Clearly until Black Knight or I locate and post/link to smoking gun reference documents you will be unswayed. And even then, I suspect it might not be enough for you to start believing what our eyes are seeing.
  6. wmcgill

    Colour of Rigging Wires

    I'm afraid that argument is not particularly strong when one considers they frequently spent time painting almost everything else for protection, from both the elements and enemy, specially so after the first couple of years. Metal cowling panels, plywood, linen, fairings, brackets, internal bracing wires (rigging) and sometimes struts and propellers. The French also painted most of their rigging horizon blue. This can be seen on both good museum restorations and autochrome photographs in the Albert Kahn collection taken during WW1.
  7. wmcgill

    Colour of Rigging Wires

    If only people could open their eyes (and their minds) to what is visible in the good photos. There are literally some dark wires that are heavily worn/chipped back to bare metal. If you insist on a smoking gun document then we'll just have to wait and see if Black Knight finds their references before I do. Conversely, do documents exist proving they were always to be left unpainted? These were warplanes first and foremost.
  8. wmcgill

    Colour of Rigging Wires

    This is all I can find right now. Sopwith document instructing RAF wires to be painted service grey.
  9. wmcgill

    Colour of Rigging Wires

    I think if you slow down and really compare the colour of the"unpainted steel Rafwires" with the colour of the unpainted steel ties you will see they are different.
  10. wmcgill

    Colour of Rigging Wires

    Please read what I wrote "PC10 enamel paint equivalent."
  11. wmcgill

    Colour of Rigging Wires

    Apparently even the Germans were known to paint their rigging from time to time...
  12. wmcgill

    Colour of Rigging Wires

    The Wingnuts website is a good source.
  13. wmcgill

    Colour of Rigging Wires

    No. They are grey.
  • Create New...