All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Another photo of Wellington in this scheme is on the IWM webvsite at https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205121648. The first two photos in the original post are versions of the same photo with different processing - https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205151088. A port bow view, taken at Moville in 1942, can be found in Arnold Hague Sloops 1926-1946 (Kendal: World Ship Society, 1993). In 1942 she did indeed carry a single 20mm Oerlikon in each bridge wing, as well as two quadruple 0.5" mountings; one on each side just abaft the break of the foc's'le.
  3. Good point Ian. Or, the L.11 was used for Navy camouflage trials. The Bundesarchiv pictures all seem to have been taken in November/December 1916 after the L.11 had been withdrawn from front line service and shortly before she was scrapped in April 1917. To my mind as least, it would make more sense to use a ship that was in a training/trials role and coming to the end of its useful life than taking one out of the front line and weakening one's strength. I think that the absence of the cloud car is telling in so far as the Fuhrer der Luftshiffe, Peter Strasser, did not believe in the things, considering them to be both inefficient and a waste of carrying capacity. It may also be significant that all the camouflaged L.11 pictures originated from the German Institute of Ocean Sciences, suggesting an original Naval source? The Navy were obviously thinking about camouflage for their Zeppelins as is demonstrated by the later appearance of the black and grey 2Raiding Scheme". I can see where this is going: I will end upmaking both ships and letting people make their own minds up!* I did notice at he show that one trader had a stock of Takom Zeppelins for sale and that he had sold out of them by the end of the day. Coincidence? maybe but I probably should have at least tried to extract some commission from him! Martian 👽 *I have already ordered another Takom Q Class to cater for that very enevtuality!
  4. No you may enter it provided you follow all standard procedures and show the work from this point. Thanks Enzo
  5. No. It's not a loophole. The build is perfectly acceptable in this GB because it is following the rules. The beginning of the build may not have been documented fully, but hey ho. Enthusiasm is always a good thing. @Paul821
  6. Keep taking the pills! The car is looking rather excellent. A great idea and execution.
  7. Best: 1) Def Leppard's Hysteria concert at Wembley Arena, maybe 5 years ago? They didn't sound like a bunch of retirement age grandads at all. They were active, lively, and Elliot's voice was in top form. I can't imagine they'd have sounded any better back in the 1980s. 2) Bon Jovi put on a top, pro show at Ellis Park in the early 1990s too. I've never been a big fan of them but full credit to them, they made sure the audience got a top class performance for their money. 3) Within Temptation at Wembley Arena. Some time in the 2010s. Very moving live performance, the band were super tight and the vocals were soul stirring. I thought they really did translate well to a live performance. Worst performances: 1) Whitesnake at Wembley Arena, maybe 2015. The sound was awful. David Coverdale's voice was shot. And the only reason I realised it was Tommy Aldridge on drums is because he played just about the exact same drum solo that he did in 1981/2 on Ozzy Osbourne's live album "Tribute", just after Ozzy says "Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Tommy Aldridge on drums." 2) The Cranberries, north Johannesburg in the late 1990s. I think the venue was called the Mnet arena or something. The performance wasn't really bad, it was just... tepid. Dolores choked the notes on her guitar riff in Zombie, too. Impressive to see two Parker Flys on stage at the same time, though. 3) Lenny Kravitz, Ellis Park. Late 1990s. I walked out at what felt like 30 minutes into a saxophone solo. Earlier on, The Cult had rocked the place. So the concert on the whole wasn't bad, just Lenny.
  8. Is it a "loophole" if the work was done after the GB start date? /P
  9. Usually buyer have to purchase no less than 1,000 but manufacturer may rise that bar to 2,000 sets. From what I see they want to release: L-29 - basic variant [straightforward rebox of AMK] L-29R - reconnaissance version with cameras in the nose [recon parts are needed] L-29RS - advanced trainer based on L-29R, 31 aircraft converted by removing the reconnaissance equipment and the rear seat [I guess there will be info about not installing rear seat] L-29A Akrobat - single seat aerobatic aircraft [new canopy, probably a few more parts] I think they could order 3,000 sets - we have three box arts with basic L-29 and I can guess 500 sets for each box. The same for other variants, 500 boxes each.
  10. Don't worry, I've sacked my scriptwriter. I've got a nice sounding chap from Belgium to interview tomorrow....
  11. He just fancied rallycross more than circuit racing....!! 🤣 Keith
  12. That is even worse than one of @Pete in Lincs's jokes and that's going something! Martian 👽
  13. That's what I understood. But being the only one used for camouflage trials doesn't necessarily mean it was the only one to be camouflaged. Just that the others weren't used for trials. Ian
  14. THAT IS AWESOME! Sorry for shouting, but it's truly stunning!
  15. Apologies for absence, Real Life keeps interfering with modelling and other Important Things! However, it's final assembly time and once I got started I didn't want to pause to post progress images until I had the full set, I may have to split this post as it'll be a bit image-intensive but I'll see how it pans out. Here goes... First the street rod's lower body/floorpan assembly was finally mounted on the chassis... Then it was time to glaze the truncated 2CV bodyshell and fit the wipers... Then the floor went on... ...followed by the seats... ...steering column assembly (including transmission selector)... ...and finally the bodyshell. The dash was fitted at some point prior to this but I can't remember exactly when, it's all a blur... The modified radiator was then finally installed... ...and the rear finally received some attention. A raid on the spares box yielded a set of ideal tail lights and a bumper assembly from a Jaguar E-Type which was dimensionally correct and just needed the ends shortening. Round at the sharp end the nosecone and struts were fitted and aligned. Finally the intended shape emerged... All that was need now were the headlights (from the street rod) and door handles. The car is now essentially complete bar a few bits of final fettling and detailing so this will be the final entry in this particular thread. Here's a few pics to tide you over until I can get round to creating an RFI thread... Huge thanks as always for your company, interest and comments during this slightly lunatic build. I've enjoyed it immensely and I hope you have too. However, you'll probably be relieved to hear that I'm sticking to OOB builds for a while (I know, I know, I've said it all before) until the next mental aberration hits! Cheers for now.
  16. Nice to have you along for the ride. It was the scheme that sold the kit to me. Cheers, Alistair
  17. Good afternoon folks, Worst: Unlike Andy H, Siouxsie and band were my worst live show. November '77 in Coventry, they were middle billing between The Killjoys (Kevin Rowland pre Dexys) and The Heartbreakers (ex New York Dolls). 40 minutes of Siouxsie yelping and screeching feedback! Best: Got to include Thin Lizzy a year before the worst. November '76, Johnny the Fox tour, playing so well and two killer albums featured. Simple Minds, OMD (Architecture& Morality tour) and Echo & the Bunnymen at the Birmingham Odeon also feature highly. Cheers, Nigel.
  18. So I've just chucked about a kilo of Silicone at the cannon part as it is a bit of a booger to mold. Hopefully it will not be in vain. In the meantime I re-affirmed my belief that adding Thrixopic thickner to the mix is the way to go for the strut and seat sections as this will save a ton of Silicone and it's just easier to paste onto the master and work it in to every nookncranny. Should be able to do a bit more on this little fella later. Fimo is scary good but I need smaller/finer tools.
  19. Thanks very much. It looks a bit lighter in the photos than in the cabinet. Many Thanks. Cheers, Alistair
  20. Yes to Recce. I wouldn't entirely agree about the previous debate being "fruitless", as I learnt a lot including the units operating these. The new book has several photos. I've just reached that chapter. It wasn't your comment about "the same wing" that I was alluding to, but a previous posting.
  21. Today
  22. Does the new book shed any additional light on the previous lengthy - and ultimately fruitless - debate on recon cameras? 😑 https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235111487-recce-macchis-c200-and-c202/page/2/
  1. Load more activity