Jump to content

Conversion/modification group build?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Here's an idea I had for a group build if anyone is interested, a Conversions group build.

 

For a build to qualify it should:

. Include modifications to the original kit (not including minor corrections to what the kit is supposed to represent)

. Represent something that can't be made from the original unmodified kit

 

Planes, ships, tanks, etc are all fine so long as the kits get modified

 

What ifs will often require conversions, absolutely qualify for this

 

Using aftermarket parts to enhance a kit does not count if it's just a more detailed version of what the kit already represents

 

25% rule and other regular GB rules apply as normal

 

 

So, anyone interested in this? 

 

A few ideas for builds that I might do:

Vulcan B2 to B1/B1a 

Vulcan B2 to Avro Atlantic

Lancaster to Lincoln, Manchester or Lancastrian 

Buccaneer S2 to S1

Swift FR.5 to F.Mk.7

 

@Adam Poultney

@JohnT

@ArnoldAmbrose

@dnl42

@Romeo Alpha Yankee

@Corsairfoxfouruncle

@zebra

@Ted

@Nocoolname

@ArnoldAmbrose

@Mottlemaster

@Marklo

@helios16v

.

 

.

 

 

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

or  an old 1/32 Revell Mirage to a Kfir for example?  Possibly with an Isracast conversion set?  That sort of thing

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

or  an old 1/32 Revell Mirage to a Kfir for example?  Possibly with an Isracast conversion set?  That sort of thing

yeah that would qualify

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gidday, I'm almost exclusively a model ship builder, and with a few exceptions they're Airfix 1/600 scale. I've done most of them available to me OOB so now I modify new builds, sometimes quite considerably. And I have quite a few projects in mind so I'm sure I can find something to qualify here. Yes, I'm definitely interested. Regards, Jeff.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm in. :thumbsup:

 

In 1/48, my stash include a pile of Tamiya CCKWs along with conversions for a Bomb Service M27, a recovery truck, and a Le Roi compressor; also Ultracast bits to convert the Accurate Miniatures Mustang I into the NA-73 prototype. In 1/144 I have the Fujimi B-29 and the Muroc B-29 Mothership conversion; Minicraft B-52, Contrails B-52A conversion, and CED decals for Balls 3 and Balls 8; Revell (nee Otaki) F-111 and OzMods F-111B conversion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I'm almost exclusively a model ship builder, and with a few exceptions they're Airfix 1/600 scale. I've done most of them available to me OOB so now I modify new builds, sometimes quite considerably. And I have quite a few projects in mind so I'm sure I can find something to qualify here. Yes, I'm definitely interested. Regards, Jeff.

Glad to have something other than aircraft in here, should be interesting.

7 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I'm in. :thumbsup:

 

In 1/48, my stash include a pile of Tamiya CCKWs along with conversions for a Bomb Service M27, a recovery truck, and a Le Roi compressor; also Ultracast bits to convert the Accurate Miniatures Mustang I into the NA-73 prototype. In 1/144 I have the Fujimi B-29 and the Muroc B-29 Mothership conversion; Minicraft B-52, Contrails B-52A conversion, and CED decals for Balls 3 and Balls 8; Revell (nee Otaki) F-111 and OzMods F-111B conversion.

Sounds like plenty of good options

3 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice idea Adam, I have a few to do, Dash 8-200 to 300, C-130 to -30 and B787-9 to -10 to name some.

 

So count me in as well

Airliner conversions are always quite impressive

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Add me to the list, not sure what yet but I’ll find something. 

👍 Something interesting I hope, the crazier the better

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great idea Adam, count me in. I've heaps of conversion ideas for some of the things in the stash so you've got me thinking about them all! Some of my ideas include:

Tracker to Conair Turbo Firecat

B-47 - Avro Orenda testbed

737-200 to NT-43A (with two big radomes on the nose and tail - apparently used to test stealth aircraft)

F-16 diverterless supersonic inlet testbed

Kamov Ka-25K (prototype civilian version of the Ka-25 Hormone)

Dakota to C-117D, Dart Dakota or Tri Turbo 3

Il-76/A-50 to Be-976 (range control/missile tracking platform)

Beriev A-50 to A-60 (airborne laser laboratory) 

Cessna O-2 to CIRPAS Pelican (single-engined O-2 optionally-piloted aircraft)

Harrier to Kestrel or YAV-8B

P2V-5 Neptune, or maybe P-2J

 

I could go on quite a lot longer!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Definitely in for this one. 

 

Probably resurrect the never started Heller 1:125 Airbus A300B2 to 1:144 Airbus A300 “Project” that I was going to attempt in the Heller GB

 

 

Edited by Rob S
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Adam, would a 1960s kit converted to a different type with a resin conversion kit count? Thanks, Michael

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Digging through my stuff Ive had a conversion kit for 20 years to turn a 1/48 Spitfire Vc into a Mk.XII. So that will be my target build, unless something better comes along. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always wanted to build a British/Commonwealth ambulance jeep. It would require a scratchbuilt stretcher frame so I guess that counts. I'd join.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Toryu said:

Hi Adam, would a 1960s kit converted to a different type with a resin conversion kit count? Thanks, Michael

yep that is the bread and butter of this group build, butchering up a kit and adding some resin. What would you be converting?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2021 at 8:22 PM, Adam Poultney said:

Here's an idea I had for a group build if anyone is interested, a Conversions group build.

 

For a build to qualify it should:

. Include modifications to the original kit (not including minor corrections to what the kit is supposed to represent)

. Represent something that can't be made from the original unmodified kit

 

Planes, ships, tanks, etc are all fine so long as the kits get modified

 

What ifs will often require conversions, absolutely qualify for this

 

Using aftermarket parts to enhance a kit does not count if it's just a more detailed version of what the kit already represents

 

25% rule and other regular GB rules apply as normal

 

 

So, anyone interested in this? 

 

A few ideas for builds that I might do:

Vulcan B2 to B1/B1a 

Vulcan B2 to Avro Atlantic

Lancaster to Lincoln, Manchester or Lancastrian 

Buccaneer S2 to S1

Swift FR.5 to F.Mk.7

 

@Adam Poultney

@JohnT

@ArnoldAmbrose

@dnl42

@Romeo Alpha Yankee

@Corsairfoxfouruncle

.

 

.

 

 

A Revell Tornado F.3 ADV to a Tornado F.2 Prototype?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, zebra said:

Great idea Adam, count me in.

Gidday Adam, it looks like you've got a few interested here. I'm a bit worried about Zebra though. With an average BG time frame of four months, and he having so few ideas how's he going to maintain interest and participation beyond the first week? 😁 Only joking. That's an impressive list he has. Regards, Jeff.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Adam, it looks like you've got a few interested here. I'm a bit worried about Zebra though. With an average BG time frame of four months, and he having so few ideas how's he going to maintain interest and participation beyond the first week? 😁 Only joking. That's an impressive list he has. Regards, Jeff.

The real problem is it'll take 3 months to decide what to build!

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

A Revell Tornado F.3 ADV to a Tornado F.2 Prototype?

perfect, now this one I will have to follow if this goes ahead because that sounds really interesting

 

 

Edited by Adam Poultney
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

What would you be converting?

 

I've got a vintage Lindbergh 1/48 Curtiss P-6E and a Lone Star Models conversion kit for a P-1D / F6C. Not sure yet which one I'm going to build - maybe the Navy version. Quite esoteric, eh?

My problem will be the many groupbuilds for which I registered. I won't be able to do them all - let's see what the bunfight brings.

 

Cheers, Michael

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Toryu said:

My problem will be the many groupbuilds for which I registered. I won't be able to do them all - let's see what the bunfight brings.

 

The struggle is very real.  Even after the bumfight.  Once dates are selected I have to layout the ones I'm interested in on a spreadsheet so I can see how they layout over the year...only then can I start setting priorities for my limited builds.  :whistle:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Always on for a good conversion. I have a plan to build a Gloster Gauntlet from a Gladiator ( I know that  might be more difficult than it sounds) either way I’m sure I can rustle something up.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Go ahead and put me down.  The only "conversion" I have at the moment is bits to covert a M2000C into a M2000-5.....which really isn't much more than a detail kit (cockpit, pylons, vertical stab, sensor blisters) so probably falls just short of the intent here.

 

However since Whifs are allowed, I do have a 1/72 Canberra PR.9 that is missing a canopy and have been debating on what I was going to do with that.  Ideas of clipping the wings and converting it into a Star Wars-esqe pod racer had crossed my mind.  :hmmm:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

an example of suitable build for this which I'm doing for the Unarmed group build. That is if everything goes to plan and I actually get the resin parts fitted

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...