"Hack and Slash" conversions group build! Almost in the Bunfight!

"Hack and Slash" conversions group build! 

In this group build we will take part in the largest coordinated event of plastic surgery this forum has ever seen. More likely plastic butchery, but it'll be fun! 

The idea is to build a model but include some sort of conversion. This doesn't have to be as drastic as reshaping the entire wing of a Vulcan and scratch building new landing gear, it could be as simple as a Tornado GR1 to GR4 which is a relatively simple conversion, only requiring a few bits on the exterior.

For a build to qualify it should:

. Include modifications to the original kit (not including minor corrections to what the kit is supposed to represent)

. Represent something that can't be made from the original unmodified kit

Planes, ships, tanks, etc are all fine so long as the kits get converted

What ifs will often require conversions, so absolutely qualify for this

There are numerous aftermarket conversion sets covering all sorts out there, but you don't necessarily need to use one. Many conversions can be done without them. You can choose to use one, or to scratch build your modifications.

Using aftermarket parts to enhance a kit does not count if it's just a more detailed or accurate version of what the kit already represents (eg etch instrument panel or resin bomb bay).

25% rule and other regular GB rules apply as normal

A few ideas for builds that I might do:

Vulcan B2 to B1/B1a 

Vulcan B2 to Avro Atlantic

Lancaster to Lincoln, Manchester or Lancastrian 

Buccaneer S2 to S1

Swift FR.5 to F.Mk.7

28 members! Close to bunfight!

@Adam Poultney

@JohnT

@ArnoldAmbrose

@dnl42

@Romeo Alpha Yankee

@Corsairfoxfouruncle

@zebra

@Ted

@Nocoolname

@Mottlemaster

@Marklo

@helios16v

@theplasticsurgeon

@2996 Victor

@Tim R-T-C

@JOCKNEY

@JeroenS

@Black Knight

@TonyW

@Head in the clouds.

@Beggsy

@Moggy

@bootneck

@Rob S

@Robert Stuart

@Torbjorn

@CliffB

@825

@Paul821

@81-er

@gingerbob

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnT said:

or  an old 1/32 Revell Mirage to a Kfir for example?  Possibly with an Isracast conversion set?  That sort of thing

yeah that would qualify

• Thanks 1

Gidday, I'm almost exclusively a model ship builder, and with a few exceptions they're Airfix 1/600 scale. I've done most of them available to me OOB so now I modify new builds, sometimes quite considerably. And I have quite a few projects in mind so I'm sure I can find something to qualify here. Yes, I'm definitely interested. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

I'm in. :thumbsup:

In 1/48, my stash include a pile of Tamiya CCKWs along with conversions for a Bomb Service M27, a recovery truck, and a Le Roi compressor; also Ultracast bits to convert the Accurate Miniatures Mustang I into the NA-73 prototype. In 1/144 I have the Fujimi B-29 and the Muroc B-29 Mothership conversion; Minicraft B-52, Contrails B-52A conversion, and CED decals for Balls 3 and Balls 8; Revell (nee Otaki) F-111 and OzMods F-111B conversion.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I'm almost exclusively a model ship builder, and with a few exceptions they're Airfix 1/600 scale. I've done most of them available to me OOB so now I modify new builds, sometimes quite considerably. And I have quite a few projects in mind so I'm sure I can find something to qualify here. Yes, I'm definitely interested. Regards, Jeff.

Glad to have something other than aircraft in here, should be interesting.

7 hours ago, dnl42 said:

I'm in. :thumbsup:

In 1/48, my stash include a pile of Tamiya CCKWs along with conversions for a Bomb Service M27, a recovery truck, and a Le Roi compressor; also Ultracast bits to convert the Accurate Miniatures Mustang I into the NA-73 prototype. In 1/144 I have the Fujimi B-29 and the Muroc B-29 Mothership conversion; Minicraft B-52, Contrails B-52A conversion, and CED decals for Balls 3 and Balls 8; Revell (nee Otaki) F-111 and OzMods F-111B conversion.

Sounds like plenty of good options

3 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice idea Adam, I have a few to do, Dash 8-200 to 300, C-130 to -30 and B787-9 to -10 to name some.

So count me in as well

Airliner conversions are always quite impressive

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Add me to the list, not sure what yet but I’ll find something. 

👍 Something interesting I hope, the crazier the better

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great idea Adam, count me in. I've heaps of conversion ideas for some of the things in the stash so you've got me thinking about them all! Some of my ideas include:

Tracker to Conair Turbo Firecat

B-47 - Avro Orenda testbed

737-200 to NT-43A (with two big radomes on the nose and tail - apparently used to test stealth aircraft)

F-16 diverterless supersonic inlet testbed

Kamov Ka-25K (prototype civilian version of the Ka-25 Hormone)

Dakota to C-117D, Dart Dakota or Tri Turbo 3

Il-76/A-50 to Be-976 (range control/missile tracking platform)

Beriev A-50 to A-60 (airborne laser laboratory) 

Cessna O-2 to CIRPAS Pelican (single-engined O-2 optionally-piloted aircraft)

Harrier to Kestrel or YAV-8B

P2V-5 Neptune, or maybe P-2J

I could go on quite a lot longer!

Definitely in for this one. 

Probably resurrect the never started Heller 1:125 Airbus A300B2 to 1:144 Airbus A300 “Project” that I was going to attempt in the Heller GB

Edited by Rob S

Hi Adam, would a 1960s kit converted to a different type with a resin conversion kit count? Thanks, Michael

• Like 1

Always wanted to build a British/Commonwealth ambulance jeep. It would require a scratchbuilt stretcher frame so I guess that counts. I'd join.

2 hours ago, Toryu said:

Hi Adam, would a 1960s kit converted to a different type with a resin conversion kit count? Thanks, Michael

yep that is the bread and butter of this group build, butchering up a kit and adding some resin. What would you be converting?

On 5/6/2021 at 8:22 PM, Adam Poultney said:

Here's an idea I had for a group build if anyone is interested, a Conversions group build.

For a build to qualify it should:

. Include modifications to the original kit (not including minor corrections to what the kit is supposed to represent)

. Represent something that can't be made from the original unmodified kit

Planes, ships, tanks, etc are all fine so long as the kits get modified

What ifs will often require conversions, absolutely qualify for this

Using aftermarket parts to enhance a kit does not count if it's just a more detailed version of what the kit already represents

25% rule and other regular GB rules apply as normal

So, anyone interested in this? 

A few ideas for builds that I might do:

Vulcan B2 to B1/B1a 

Vulcan B2 to Avro Atlantic

Lancaster to Lincoln, Manchester or Lancastrian 

Buccaneer S2 to S1

Swift FR.5 to F.Mk.7

@Adam Poultney

@JohnT

@ArnoldAmbrose

@dnl42

@Romeo Alpha Yankee

@Corsairfoxfouruncle

A Revell Tornado F.3 ADV to a Tornado F.2 Prototype?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zebra said:

Great idea Adam, count me in.

Gidday Adam, it looks like you've got a few interested here. I'm a bit worried about Zebra though. With an average BG time frame of four months, and he having so few ideas how's he going to maintain interest and participation beyond the first week? 😁 Only joking. That's an impressive list he has. Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Adam, it looks like you've got a few interested here. I'm a bit worried about Zebra though. With an average BG time frame of four months, and he having so few ideas how's he going to maintain interest and participation beyond the first week? 😁 Only joking. That's an impressive list he has. Regards, Jeff.

The real problem is it'll take 3 months to decide what to build!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

A Revell Tornado F.3 ADV to a Tornado F.2 Prototype?

perfect, now this one I will have to follow if this goes ahead because that sounds really interesting

Edited by Adam Poultney

13 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

What would you be converting?

I've got a vintage Lindbergh 1/48 Curtiss P-6E and a Lone Star Models conversion kit for a P-1D / F6C. Not sure yet which one I'm going to build - maybe the Navy version. Quite esoteric, eh?

My problem will be the many groupbuilds for which I registered. I won't be able to do them all - let's see what the bunfight brings.

Cheers, Michael

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toryu said:

My problem will be the many groupbuilds for which I registered. I won't be able to do them all - let's see what the bunfight brings.

The struggle is very real.  Even after the bumfight.  Once dates are selected I have to layout the ones I'm interested in on a spreadsheet so I can see how they layout over the year...only then can I start setting priorities for my limited builds.  :whistle:

• Like 1

Always on for a good conversion. I have a plan to build a Gloster Gauntlet from a Gladiator ( I know that  might be more difficult than it sounds) either way I’m sure I can rustle something up.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Go ahead and put me down.  The only "conversion" I have at the moment is bits to covert a M2000C into a M2000-5.....which really isn't much more than a detail kit (cockpit, pylons, vertical stab, sensor blisters) so probably falls just short of the intent here.

However since Whifs are allowed, I do have a 1/72 Canberra PR.9 that is missing a canopy and have been debating on what I was going to do with that.  Ideas of clipping the wings and converting it into a Star Wars-esqe pod racer had crossed my mind.  :hmmm:

• Like 1

an example of suitable build for this which I'm doing for the Unarmed group build. That is if everything goes to plan and I actually get the resin parts fitted