Jump to content

Romeo Alpha Yankee

Gold Member
  • Posts

    7,938
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Romeo Alpha Yankee last won the day on August 5 2019

Romeo Alpha Yankee had the most liked content!

About Romeo Alpha Yankee

  • Birthday 10/17/1962

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://www.actsms.asn.au

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Canberra, Australia
  • Interests
    RAAF, FinAF, Airliners, Transports, Helicopters

Recent Profile Visitors

9,087 profile views

Romeo Alpha Yankee's Achievements

Completely Obsessed Member

Completely Obsessed Member (6/9)

8.5k

Reputation

  1. Any unfinished model is eligible Jeff
  2. I built the Esci kit in RAAF markings last year in RAAF markings using Hawkeye decals and they were great. The Aussie Decals can be average as the sheet is basic. There is also the Italeri (Ecsi moulds) 1/48 kit that comes with nice RAAF decals as well
  3. Thanks mate, The engines the the RAF Sentry are CFM56s and come in the kit, Airfix (and some Heller) boxings include both the JT-3D turbojets and CFM-56 turbofans. Other Heller E-3A boxings only have the JT-3Ds
  4. Very nice result Tom, I also have this one to build. Your home made decals worked out a treat. Nice build all around!
  5. Boeing 707-338C c/n 19294-550 rolled off the Boeing production line at Seattle (Renton) - December 14, 1966 and first flown at Renton as VH-EBU on February 13, 1967. EBU was accepted by Qantas Airways at Seattle (Boeing Field) on March 08, 1967, this was the 21st Boeing airliner delivered new to Qantas Airways. EBU flew with QANTAS as City of Broken Hill, City of Wollongong and City of Parramatta and was cancelled from the Australian Aircraft Register on November 03, 1976 after flying just over 32,283 hours for QANTAS. After QANTAS sold EBU off it served with Air Niugini, Arrow Air, Zaire Cargo, Shanghai Airlines, Anglo Cargo Airlines and other leasing companies. Ferried to Davis Monthan in the Anglo Cargo livery on May 18 1992 and stored at Davis Monthan as '67-30053' until June 17, 1993 where it departed for Lake Charles, LA for conversion to E-8C. The aircraft was re-serialled 'AF93-0597' and designated an E-8C P-3 (3rd Production Aircraft) in February 1997, handed over to 93rd Air Control Wing, USAF at Melbourne, Florida on November 25, 1997. The aircraft was badly damaged during an air-to-air refuelling accident over Qatar on March 13, 2009, the number two fuel tank ruptured in flight due to over-pressurisation causing extensive wing damage. It made a safe emergency landing at the Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar. The estimated cost to repair the damage was around $US 25,000,000 and was deemed to be uneconomical to repair and was therefore declared a 'write-off'. The cause of the accident was traced to a civilian subcontractor who inadvertently left a test plug in the fuel vent system which occurred during programmed depot maintenance. As the aircraft was only in the air for a short period of time before the air-to-air refuelling took place it had not burnt off enough fuel from the number to tank that would have allowed the 'dive flapper' valve to open when the over-pressurisation of the fuel tank commenced. The aircraft was reported to have been broken up at Al Udeid Air Base in February 2012. This is the Airfix E-3D kit converted to an E-8C using the Flightpath conversion set and Decals by Wolfpak, the full build thread can be found below
  6. Yes they are, all worked fine except for the the blue USAF titles that cracked up a bit. I had some other spares which saved the day. All finished now...
  7. This is looking great John, have just caught up on your thread and it is nice to see one of these being built.
  8. Einar, as everyone has already mentioned, you have build a lovely pair of Finnair jets! I have a soft spot for them myself and plan to build a few to go with my A350.
  9. Thank guys I got some painting and decalling done Which was going well... until I destroyed the USAF title decals on the fuselage broke apart, I had to rob another E-3 sheet for replacements The green tailbands also broke up and after a poor touch up job I decided to remove them and repaint them. The wingtip antennas were also casualties which now have been repaired and repainted and then the USAF on the wing got wrecked when I was attempting to settle it down with decal softener. The underwing one also broke up. The recovery has started, the dud decals removed and areas resprayed . Now to add the last decals and finish the tailband repaint
  10. Well another 8 months has passed and I found this one one the shelf. It is now back on the bench to finish up. Not sure why I stopped work on it back in October but I had most of the paint done then. So some filling of dodgy scribing and repair of some antennas has happened over the past couple of days. I also added the MLG Wheels and reattached one of the MLG legs that separated. Once the putty sets some sanding to be done and paint touch ups.
  11. Love ya work Pappy, always great to follow your tizzying up off your builds
×
×
  • Create New...