This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Vulcanicity

Vulcanicity's Stranraer - done at last!

Posted (edited)

After two years of hard slog during which I have also completed a Heyford, a Chipmunk (as a sanity break!) and a PhD, here is my take on the Matchbox Stranraer, finished as K7292 of 228 Squadron RAF at Pembroke Dock, autumn 1938.

The WIP is here. At some point I'm going to do a Stranraer reference thread for the Interwar section to share all my refs and discoveries, I'll update this with the link when I've got round to it. Don't hold your breath!

Having decided to start on adding some detailing to this and the concurrent Heyford, I went fairly mad. The following is a reasonably complete list of my alterations:

• Scribed hull (including some corrections to MB’s panel lines on rear fuselage and nose), plus lower wing stubs, floats, cowlings, nacelles, and upper centre section.
  • Removed large raised cargo door on starboard side of hull, (a postwar civilian modification, copied from the Hendon machine by MB) and cut a new window in its place as per pre-war aircraft. Detailed the kit door part. Reinstated recess for sliding side portion of canopy above the entry door. Cut out the sliding canopy section and replaced with an acetate panel mounted in the partly slid-back position.
  • Scratchbuilt most of interior including pilot’s position, navigation compartment, rest bunks, mid-upper and tail gun positions. Retained kit floor and bulkheads (with modifications) but everything else is built from plasticard or wire.
  • Thinned down gunner’s wind shield. Scratchbuilt Scarff mountings based on kit rings. Replaced kit Lewis guns with cast brass examples from Miniworld (well worth the ridiculous price).
  • Replaced small ventilation scoops abreast wireless operator’s compartment. Various extra hull details added, including rectangular ventilation scoops on port nose and between port windows, bollards and mooring/sun canopy cleats on nose and rear fuselage, hinges for bomb aimer’s door, towing/lashing eyes and strengthening plates along keel, navigation light at extreme tail of fuselage, and porthole with bars on cabin roof.
  • Detailed main beaching gear with longitudinal struts, winding handles, stowed tools, bolts etc.
  • Added fairing strips over joints between lower wings and stub wings, and at tailplane-fuselage joint.
  • Cut out bomb recesses in lower outer wings, adding Marabu PE Light Series Bomb Carrier in each of the large recesses. Added APU exhaust and drainage pipes in lower centre section stub wings. Added navigation lights and aileron actuators to lower wing tips, cut out port side landing light and added heat-moulded light cover from acetate.
  • Added inspection covers on floats.
  • Reshaped cowlings to show a more curved profile and thinner trailing edges. Opened out cowling apertures by about 1mm extra diameter (not quite enough, I suspect, but oh well!) Drilled out exhaust pipes and lowered the profile at forward end to better blend them into the collector rings. Replaced Pegasus engines with resin examples from CMK, including replacing the too-short resin pushrods with plasticard and adding cowling braces. Thinned down and reshaped kit propellers.
  • Added the prominent if mysterious bulges at the leading edge of the forward cabane struts where they meet the nacelles (not fitted on the Hendon machine). Added cores with mesh faces to the oil coolers.
  • Full rigging applied using EZ-Line and homemade turnbuckles.
  • Decals from the Revell reboxing.

Things I chickened out of but which you could also do if you're feeling like treading this path to insanity:

• Crash mould more accurate canopy (windscreen is slightly too vertical I think)
  • Detail front compartment and pose open (references for equipment fitted here are almost non-existent)
  • Detail wireless operator’s compartment (completely invisible)
  • Replace kit beaching gear wheels (poorly detailed but I couldn’t think of what to use)

Despite all I've just said above, it's a pretty darned good kit, especially considering it celebrates its 40th birthday this year and we're unlikely to see another one, unless the likes of Valom oblige. If only MB hadn't quite so slavishly copied the Hendon machine with its non-standard mod state, it would have been near-unbeatable.

Oh, I suppose you've come here for photos! Here we are.

48088411723_59ee1c9199_b.jpg

48088372171_79ea4b2d6a_b.jpg

48088467692_250564c765_b.jpg

48088407243_4e9b1af24c_b.jpg

48088405748_fcde927114_b.jpg

48088463417_23d486b024_b.jpg

48088402008_7fbbc4720a_b.jpg

48088458022_cb88c3d0c7_b.jpg

48088397353_f4d04ed3fe_b.jpg

48088357931_e5cd448255_b.jpg

Edited by Vulcanicity

Superb 

I'm from the Democratic Peoples Republic of Merseyside and I think it's bl**dy superb too !!

Ian.

You shoyld be very pleased with that :). Very nice!

Martin

Looks like a superbly modelled and very lovely silver flying boat to me. Well done 10/10

Wow, what an outcome in silver. As for the Heyford. Great, just geat. Cheers.

Obviously the work of a complete nutter! Congratulations - it was worth the effort.

John

Another superb model Phil - both prize winners IMHO :) 

Very nice build, one of our club members did the camouflage version last  year, the old kit scrubs up really well

Superb job on such an attractive subject, I do like the way you've caught its look. :)

Steve.

It's a kit you don't encounter a lot, and now a few times in a few weeks...

But you for sure did a splendid job on this one...

Another cracker, Top marks!

Ian

You`ve done a wonderful job on this beauty,....... well done indeed,

Cheers

Tony

Fantastic job on that old kit ! looks superb

Just what the doctor ordered!

Another stunning model Phil - I followed some of this on your WIP and was hugely impressed.

Cheers

Malcolm