Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

sprue

Gold Member
  • Content Count

    546
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    4

Everything posted by sprue

  1. Fascinating movie. When you see how a Lancaster is made of a number of sub-assemblies it's easy to understand how a Lancaster in the later part of it's service could end up a mish mash of assemblies from other aircraft once the repair organisation had worked on them. I've often wondered which part of an airframe keeps the serial number remembering most sections are interchangable? According to F.K.Mason NX787 was a MK VII built at Austin Motors Longbridge Birmingham although finaly assembled at Elmdon. Then saw service with 617 Squadron as KC-T before being sold for scrap in June 1954. Most interesting thanks for sharing.
  2. Here’s one I made earlier. Westland Lysander Mk IIIA S.C.W (Special Contract Westland). V9674 was one of a number of aircraft specially converted from MkIIIA airframes for covert operations. Modifications included extra fuel and oil tanks, and stripping out of armament and armour. The aircraft carries the standard Lysander S.D.(Special Duties) camouflage of medium sea grey and dark green with night black under surfaces. Code letters were MA-K in standard dull red. This particular aircraft was flown from time to time by Squadron Leader Lewis (Bob) Hodges on SOE operations to France while with 161 squadron RAF. The aircraft’s final flight was on the night of December 16/17 1943 when F/Lt Stephen Alers Hankey and two agents Albert Kohan and Jacques Tayar all perished when the aircraft crashed into a hillside near Ford airfield due to fog. They were returning from an SOE pickup in France Operation DIABLE. All are buried in St George Churchyard Crowhurst Sussex. I decided to show the flaps and slats deployed as they were automatic and rarely seen in pictures closed up while the aircraft is on the ground.
  3. Lovely rendition of the Swordfish. I have one of these lurking in my cupboard...I'll get round to it one these days. Mike
  4. Inspirational! Cracking build. I have one of these waiting in the cupboard but unfortunately the Tamiya Mosquito IV got to the work bench first. Mike
  5. White Ensign used to do them. A post on the ship forums here might produce a result. Mike
  6. Beautiful spit. Looks the part...well done.
  7. Now if this appears in 1/48 I'll be over the moon.
  8. Lovely Mitchell and eggs. I'm about to embark on similar any minute now. Mike
  9. This is just what I was looking for, very helpful especily lease lend RAF which is not my comfort zone. Many thanks Mike
  10. Hi Jamie Happy New Year Thanks for the input and as I guessed its a can of worms. I'm going to follow your suggestions for the interior colours and for the outer surfaces it seems to be anyones guess as these aircraft weathered badly and were retouched as neccessary. Just sent you an order for various paints as I need to stock up. Thanks again Mike
  11. Thanks for the input guys i've a feeling this is going to be a can of worms but an interesting discussion Mike and Happy New Year
  12. The Airfix kit gives two alternative finnishes. SM-V FV923 305 Polish squadron England September - October 1943 or EV-W FL212 180 Squadron 1943. I prefer colourcoats paints but I'm unsure of which paints I need from their extensive catalogue as there seems to be more than one gray, olive drab or interior colour. Any advice or tips for the following would be most welcome :- Interior colour Olive drab Neutral Gray Also can someone recomend a good reference for RAF Mitchells? Thanks in advance.
  13. Thanks for looking and your kind comments.
  14. Thanks for the interset and comments. Droopy elevators I'm kicking myself as every other Spit I've done does have this feature. Thanks again
  15. This is my rendition of Pickards Mosquito as it might have looked on the Amien raid Operation Jericho. The kit goes together without fuss and it was a very enjoyable build.
  16. Here’s my attempt at a high back Spitfire XIV using the Eduard Mk VIII and the Airfix FR Mk XIV. The Eduard kit which I used as a base is astonishing in its accuracy of moulding and finesse of surface detail. The parts used from the Airfix kit were the fin and rudder, the nose as far back as the wing leading edge and the radiators. The decals were put together from the spares box. Hope you like it.
×
×
  • Create New...