Vulcanicity's Chipmunk

Hi all!

As a break from cramming detail into Matchbox biplanes, I embarked on one of my Telford buys, the AZ Chipmunk - on the suggestion that I needed a bit of a rest and a mojo restorer!

It's quite a nice kit, with very delicate surface detail and a well-detailed interior. It's rather lacking in some of the finer details however- I added tie-down rings, actuator jacks for the flaps, pitot probe, catches for the sliding portion of the canopy, two blade aerials, a scoop on the cowling, the little strakes on the wing leading edges, brake lines, etc, plus drilling out the exhaust and all the scoops.

Fit is questionable - it's been a while since I built a "proper" short-run kit and it was a bit of a shock! There's thick flash, the wing-fuselage joint needs a shim, and the cockpit won't close up unless you shave off some of the sidewall detail to admit the sides of the seats. You need to shave a goodly amount off the fuselage decking sections under the canopy Also, the tailplanes fit much better the wrong way up - I thought this was the correct way of fitting them until I noticed that the elevator trim tab was on the wrong side! Nothing a bit of filler and a rescribe couldn't fix... 

Decals are a right mix, on account of the kit schemes being a bit uninspiring and quite a few of the stencils being inaccurate. I raided the spares bank for an old Airfix kit sheet, which provided most of the stencils and the wing walkways (AZ provide these but they're the wrong shape and don't follow the panel lines). The markings for WP901/B of 6 Air Experience Flight (based at Abingdon in the 1970s-1980s) came from the excellent S&M "Post War Piston Trainers" sheet - although they're super thin and settle down like a dream I had to double up all the roundels in order to get them remotely opaque!

The most outlandish decal source is the red First Aid cross - which is part of a 41sq insignia from the Italeri Jaguar!

So a bit of a mixed bag - Not as easy to build as the Airfix, and like that kit is a bit of a blank canvas for added external details - but if you've got the skills to make it fit, it's a considerably more refined starting point, and you don't have to attack it with sandpaper to get rid of hundreds of scale fist-sized rivets!

24492260377_4b272b7cfd_b.jpg

39356228351_d2abbbe9cb_b.jpg

39356224651_9282d9782c_b.jpg

39356221501_fa3e91f970_b.jpg

39356217491_27655c140d_b.jpg

39356214881_d4a195fb55_b.jpg

39326934482_48362f969a_b.jpg

39326930712_95ac4c9e03_b.jpg

25487396978_bd5c853db8_b.jpg

• Like 35

I have fond memories of the Chippy. Flying one from RAF Leeming with the Air Cadets in the early 1980's and getting stuck down the back of one on an annual inspection in the late 80's!

Nice tribute to a classic and fun aircraft to fly.

Lovely Chippy. Turned out very well.

And thanks for your short and honest review of the kit. What I've seen so far, didn't make me think that this was THE replacement of the venerable Airfix kit, but as you mention, it is anyways a better starting point.

Cheers

b.

3 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

I wish someone would bring out a 1/48 scale Chippy

I gave up waiting and bought the Heritage Models resin kit. Airfix will bring one out now for sure...

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

They look like they would be fun to fly.

They are!

Edited by Bell209