Bomber Command GB

JOCKNEY

Now following a suggestion from @Wings unlevel about possible future Group Builds, I thought I would do the decent thing and nominate it.

Let's be honest, there are no shortage of subjects and you all have potential kits in the stash.

So no excuses,  let's get this one in the diary for 2025 and use lots of green, brown and black paint :wink: or sky if you're Dave :rofl:

This will include the total time period of Bomber Command so up to the late 1960's

List of Fame

1. @JOCKNEY host

2.  @Wings unlevel co-host

3. @Rabbit Leader

4. @Marklo

5. @vppelt68

6. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

7. @Tim R-T-C

8. @Rafwaffe

9. @Heather Kay

10. @mackem01

11. @Stefan Buysse

12. @franky boy

13. @RJ-WobblyHands

14. @IanC

15. @modelling minion

16. @Redstaff

17. @R T Fishall

18. @silverfox63

19. @Richard Humm

20. @LorenSharp

21. @Wez

22. @Roland Pulfrew

23. @wimbledon99

24. @wellzy

25. @UberDaveToo

26. @Evil_Toast_RSA

27. @81-er

28. @Angus Tura

29. @rafalbert

30. @Pedro52 🏁

Cheers Pat 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

So no excuses,  let's get this one in the diary for 2025 and use lots of green, brown and black paint :wink:

No excuses for me not to sign up then, Pat! I’m in, Let me know if you need a co-host, I look good in brown. 🤣

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

No excuses for me not to sign up then, Pat! I’m in, Let me know if you need a co-host, I look good in brown. 🤣

Good man, let's get this party started :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Party hat already on... 

Please count me in with possibly something from No.2 Group... might substitute Black / Night for Sky undersides though. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Party hat already on... 

Please count me in with possibly something from No.2 Group... night substitute Black / Night for Sky undersides though. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Top Man ! :like:

As its you I'll amend our colour choices :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Marklo said:

I’ll give it a go provided If I can get hold of a suitable bomber in 1/144 :) 

Yes unfortunately although 144th would seem like an ideal scale for bombers - a Lancaster or similar would come out to the same size as a 72nd scale Spitfire - the Bomber Command possibilities are rather limited, either to very old low quality plastic kits or expensive resin examples.

Fortunately Valom have just released a good looking HP Hampden (and the post-war Bristol Brigand), so hopefully more will follow.

I will optimistically sign up for this one 😁

• Thanks 1

Add me! Add me! :bounce:

Sadly, I may have cleared my Bomber Command stash by the time a potential GB comes round, but you have my name to push the proposal over the line. I suppose I could find another one to build, though. :like:

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Yes, I would be interested in a RAF Bomber Command GB.

I believe that Bomber Command existed from 1936 to 1968. I would be OK with it if the GB was limited to the 1939-1945 period. But if we allow it to extend to 1968, we could attract more builders who like the V-bombers and there would be some decent kits for the 1/144 scale builders. GWH has announced a Valiant for this year.

Cheers, Stefan.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d be up for an extension of this GB to encompass the complete Bomber Command 1936-68 time period.

That would allow some of us to build Airfix’s two 2024 mid year announcements (Avro Lincoln and EE Canberra B.2) and showcase to the world how good these kits are really going to be. 

Cheers.. Dave

(Yes.. I know nothings been announced, however I’m trying my best attempt at subliminal messaging to get the point across.. C”mon Airfix!! )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'll sign up too. For space reasons I'll have to build something a bit more compact than a Lanc or Halifax. So 2 Group it is.

Or possibly Leonard Cheshire's Mustang? 🤔 

Ian

• Thanks 1

Now as most of you know, I don't build aircraft anymore as I've concentrated on F1 and rally cars over the last few years.

But, in the stash I have a Tamiya dambuster Lanc from the '80s that I kept when I got rid of all my other aircraft kits, as I always wanted to build one (along with the only other aircraft kit being an Airfix 1/24 P51D of a similar vintage)

Seems as good a time as any to build the Lanc, so add me to the list please Pat as the GB format will push me along :) 

Cheers

Ian 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wonderful choice Ian @Redstaff

The Tamiya Lancaster is an absolute classic and will be perfect for this GB.

We just need to gather up all the usual suspects and some newbies to get this GB over the line.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Count me in please Pat!

That idea of expanding this to cover the whole of Bomber Command's existence appeals; I'm thinking about a gallery covering everything from a 1930's Silver Hawker Hind to a V Bomber in Anti-flash White. Or even an RAF Thor...

Edited by R T Fishall
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 17/01/2024 at 07:52, JOCKNEY said:

We just need to gather up all the usual suspects and some newbies to get this GB over the line.

Early sign up numbers look good, Pat. We’ll be doing a thousand bomber raid of the Bunfight in no time. 🤣

• Haha 4