Jump to content

Evil_Toast_RSA

Members
  • Posts

    484
  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About Evil_Toast_RSA

  • Birthday 12/31/1979

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Durban South Africa
  • Interests
    RAF & USN/USAF from WW2 to 70's.

Recent Profile Visitors

1,346 profile views

Evil_Toast_RSA's Achievements

Obsessed Member

Obsessed Member (4/9)

1.4k

Reputation

  1. And the slow plodding onwards continues! Bang seats done. Fuselage assembled. Primed in white for the D-Day stripes, yellow painted bits and, because the decal makes no allowance for the pitot tube (and plug attachment), the nose checkerboard that I'll be masking off, one 1.8 mm x 1.8 mm square at a time. I'm not a clever man. Also. Eagles primed in white make my brain itch! And came up with a yellow that's not too yellow. XF-3 with a tiny dash of XF-7.
  2. Third vote for Mr Surfacer 1500 & Mr Levelling Thinners. I usually go about 60/40 Thinners:Paint personally.
  3. Tamiya 1/48 Nakajima N1J1 Gekko. Build thread:
  4. Jeez, got a bit sidetracked since last I posted, but the Irving is done! Nothing special done, usual oil paint and pigments to make it look a bit used, some 0.01mm rigging I finally got for all the aerial wires etc. Will post the rest of the poorly taken pics in the gallery.
  5. And begun. Cockpit done without decals, considering the canopy is 1 piece and will consequently remain closed, good enough for government work I think. Other internals done and ready for some assembly this week. Hopefully painting time soon, fit is unsurprisingly great for a snap together type kit! https://flic.kr/p/2nBqvBM
  6. My entry, Academy's newish Eagle. Sexy sprue glamor shot: And the parts that have always left me puzzled. The kit is very well detailed for the scale, panel lines are finely engraved, and then you get to the burner cans. Seriously? Anyway, got 2 resin seats on their way to me. There was a very long internal debate about getting some resin upgrades for the cans, but alas, I cheaped out. Will see what I can achieve with fine wire and plasticard if the mood strikes me. Roll on the 27th!
  7. Managed to get a Gladiator finally (1/48 Merit Mk.2, I know, boo hiss, cowling is made of suck). So browsing AM decal sets to replace the rather iffy looking kit sheet, ran across this one. Can someone tell me more about the 94 Squadron machine, specifically what the bloody hell the Red Sand and Dark Red Sand colours are and what I can use from currently available paint lines? I'm assuming I need to brush up on my British armour in Africa paint guides myself.
  8. This stuff: https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87194/index.htm. Also available without a retarder. No idea where it's available in the world, this conversation gets really interesting sometimes! [EDIT] I think for clarity sake, both Tamiya orange/yellow cap and MLT are "gentler" in the fact that you probably will still see pink elephants if you inhale to much of it, but you wont turn the plastic on your model into goo if you use it to wipe the dried filler off using it.
  9. The PPP and Vallejo has been covered quite well at this point. Tamiya White/Grey putty can be thinned with Lacquer/Cellulose/Whatever its called in your country, Acetone and even Extra Thin/MEK if you want. Depends how much you want it to bite into the plastic. If your not keen on on those, a "gentler" Lacquer thinner like Tamiya and MLT can be used. As for #2, it really depends on you and what your doing. PPP is great for fine gaps etc, but filing a big gap it will probably be best to use something else.
  10. Not sure. The instructions don't say, then again my Gannet didn't mention that either and I ended up sticking lead into the nose wheel well at the end! Going to put some in the front and leave the nose off just in case, but I think this planes one of those rare ones where nothing is needed.
  11. Been slapping some glue around this week. So far the fit has been a bit iffy in places. - cockpit is pretty basic, eh, in 1/72 don't mind too much. - gun cover slotted in okay, one corner needed putty. Refueling probe cover wasn't so hot. - blanked off the intakes so I don't have a Matchbox "see all the way in" issue. - some pin marks I need to deal with in the cockpit sidewalls (done) and exhaust which *might* be visible. - still not sure if the front landing gear needs to be attached now. Will check later. - cut off ventral fin in preparation for the resin replacement. Committed now!
  12. Got a -15 and -27, with plans to add a -19 and -25 soon, so sign me up!
  13. Maybe. Time constraints and all that, but would love to get it done.
  14. All the markings I cam spray have been. Used C58 Orange Yellow for wing ID stripes C125 Cowling Color for (shockingly) the cowlings C385 IJN Red for the Hinomaru's and tail markings. Gloss coat, a few decals and onto panel lining and weathering! Nearly done!
×
×
  • Create New...