1/72 Hasegawa B-26B Marauder "Big Hairy Bird"

It would appear that perfection is very close.

I am sure you made a (small) wilful mistake so as not to offend the gods.

Absolutely brilliant build!

JR

Wonderfull - absolutely wonderfull! :goodjob:

The Marauder has a special place in my heart! I remember when I was a kid, the local toyshop had models - Airfix, Revell etc. - and one of these was the Revell 1/72 Marauder 'Flak Bait'!

The boxart was simply so intriguing that it has stayed with me all these years. :D

I finaly got to build - not the Revell (AFAIR :hmmm:), but the Matchbox kit of 'Big Hairy Bird'!

(In fact I don't think I ever got the Revell kit? :hmmm:)

Thanks for the memories! :D

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen

Roman, me and my fellow Britgmodeller`s continue to marvel at your exquisite masterpieces such as the Hasegawa Marauder that you have shared with us here.  An absolute masterful work of art in the hobby.  If you were ever to teach a class on how to build the perfect replica, I would be the first to sign up.  Outstanding  work my friend!!!!!! :worthy:

Mike

Hello Roman,

Your construction is superb, bravo!:goodjob:
I agree with Bertie about the shadows on the engine nacelles.
I have started two Airfix models that I am putting aside for the moment because I am taking part in the Salty Sea Dog GB, but your construction makes me want to take them back.:hobbyhorse:

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

This is an impressive build and paint job on the B-26.  However, I must agree with Bertie and Eric concerning with what looks like slightly heavy handed panel pre-shading overwhelming the metallic paint finish coat.  But, still, it really looks nice.  Thanks for sharing.

On 1/8/2023 at 10:44 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

I find the heavy panel line shading on the engines a little startling and wonder whether that's a lighting effect?

On 1/11/2023 at 12:10 PM, Snafu35 said:

I agree with Bertie about the shadows on the engine nacelles.

11 hours ago, georgeusa said:

However, I must agree with Bertie and Eric concerning with what looks like slightly heavy handed panel pre-shading overwhelming the metallic paint finish coat. 

Thanks for your feedback, gentlemen!

I was trying to replicate the well-worn appearance of "Big Hairy Bird", as seen on this original wartime photograph:

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/archive/media/media-457850jpg

The panel line shading (using Mr.Hobby H95 Smoke Grey) did not come out as expected on the metallic finish. 

In the end I added too much Black H12, which looks overdone, to my disappointment.

Lesson learned for the next build!

• Like 1

A beautiful build, Roman.

For an alternative shading method, I sometimes apply dark brown or black pastels. I find it gives me a bit more control, as any excess can be easily wiped away. I then seal with a varnish, which also helps reduce any starkness in the effect. Oil paint is another possibility. 

9 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Thanks for your feedback, gentlemen!

I was trying to replicate the well-worn appearance of "Big Hairy Bird", as seen on this original wartime photograph:

https://www.americanairmuseum.com/archive/media/media-457850jpg

The panel line shading (using Mr.Hobby H95 Smoke Grey) did not come out as expected on the metallic finish. 

In the end I added too much Black H12, which looks overdone, to my disappointment.

Lesson learned for the next build!

Looking at the picture you provided for reference, it seems as if you actually were on the right track with the panel shading.  The actual aircraft, as per the picture, was much dirtier and the panels had less gloss.  Maybe the concentration of the shading for the engine nacelles, if coupled with more weathering and aging might have been right.  This is one of the few times more weathering is needed than you think.  Quite the opposite of what we normally do.   You were on the right path, just were being cautious trying to not overdo it when the aircraft pictured was just filthy.  Please don't get me wrong, I think your build of this aircraft is great and the paint job is also quite good.  Better than what I could do.  

• Like 1