Post-WW2 Twins - Now at 30 and Bunfight bound!

81-er

Given how enormously popular the WW2 Twins build is being, it seems like a good idea to propose the sequel. Eligible subjects would be aircraft used operationally by any nation or civilian operator from September 1945 to the present day, AND those aircraft were powered by two propulsion devices at all times. So that's two propellers, two jet engines, or two rotors. For clarity, a contra-rotating prop counts as one device, and rotorcraft will need two main rotors to qualify.

So that’s your WW2-era aircraft in post-war colours (Finnish aircraft with roundels instead of swastikas, former US aircraft in a variety of South American liveries etc) right up to the latest versions of the F-18, MiG-29’s, Su-33’s etc, as well as V-22 Osprey's, Chinook's, Sea Knight's etc for you rotor fans. Add to the that all of the wide variety of civilian twins from small private planes to big jet liners, and I’m hoping this will be an interestingly varied GB if it makes the cut.

James

1. @81-er (host)

2. @modelling minion (co-host)

3. @vppelt68

4. @2996 Victor

5. @psdavidson

6. @franky boy

7. @Col.

8. @mark.au

9. @Marklo

10. @Chrisj2003

11. @zebra

12. @Adam Poultney

13. @Wings unlevel

14. @shortCummins

15. @TheyJammedKenny!

16. @Jabba

17. @Rafwaffe

18. @theplasticsurgeon

19. @rafalbert

20. @Celestialsphere

21. @TEMPESTMK5

22. @Dermo245

23. @Mr T

24. @stevej60

25. @DaveJL

26. @Bobby No Mac

27. @MRMRL

28. @Keeff

29. @Luke1199

30. @Black Knight

• Like 7

An excellent choice for a GB James, which is exactly why I volunteered to co-host it! The range of builds possible is huge and covers everything from the B-25 to the F-22 so something for everyone.

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

F-16 is NOT a Twin :giggle:. But I can't keep away from this one, so please add me to the list, gents :wink:. V-P

Always good to have your participation my friend.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

F-16 is NOT a Twin :giggle:. But I can't keep away from this one, so please add me to the list, gents :wink:. V-P

Doh! I meant F-18, apparently I was having a moment. One typo corrected, and you added to the list

10 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi James,

I think I could be up for this, so please add me to the list!

Cheers,

Mark

Done! :)

James

• Thanks 1

Yes, great idea, I'm in :thumbsup: Canberra and Lightning spring to mind first, the Dh Hornet

One question, however, if I may; how about mixed powerplant machines such as the SR.53 or early versions of the Mirage III where a rocket motor was included for initial performance?

• Like 2

That’s most of my stash available, apart from the F-16s, (and F-104s)so sign me up please. Broad enough that some planes / schemes that are not eligible in other GBs because of dates or geography can get a look in. 

Chris

• Like 2

Welcome onboard everyone :D

15 hours ago, psdavidson said:

I'm already overcommitted for 2025 GB proposals, but add me to the list anyway

Bribes Beer for votes in the bunfight may be neccessarry :drunk:

I'll make sure there's an adequate supply of beer delivered to your local supermaket, you'll just have to pick it up. And pay for it

12 hours ago, Col. said:

Yes, great idea, I'm in :thumbsup: Canberra and Lightning spring to mind first, the Dh Hornet

One question, however, if I may; how about mixed powerplant machines such as the SR.53 or early versions of the Mirage III where a rocket motor was included for initial performance?

That's a good question, Col. I think they wouldn't count as the second powerplant wasn't intended to run permanently, and they’d usually operate in single-engine mode. I’ll update the first post to clarify that

1 hour ago, Chrisj2003 said:

That’s most of my stash available, apart from the F-16s, (and F-104s)so sign me up please. Broad enough that some planes / schemes that are not eligible in other GBs because of dates or geography can get a look in. 

Chris

Thanks Chris, I was certainly aiming to make it a broader church

James

• Thanks 1

Just thinking I have several twin engined 1/144 mugs and Sukhois would they qualify?

ABCD253F-4156-4742-A028-5B05A964752B.jpg

should be sever  as l candidates there. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Just thinking I have several twin engined 1/144 mugs and Sukhois would they qualify?

They most certainly do.👍

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Count me in. I've got loads of options to choose from.

Welcome aboard Julian.

And welcome to Mark @2996 Victor, @psdavidson, James @franky boy, Col @Col., Mark @mark.au, @Marklo,  and Chris @Chrisj2003, this is looking like it is going to be a great GB already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

My immediate thought was something like this (Wiki image so ok to use):

Chris

spacer.png

Phantastic choice Chris, Tooms look great in the European One scheme and I imagine there will be a few more F-4's in the GB.

35 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I've been looking at possible victims, too, things like DH Hornet, Brigand, that kind of thing :D

Great choices Mark, you don't see enough of those being built.

• Thanks 1

Obviously we're a long way off from needing to make choices yet but I will most likely be going with a member of the A/B-26 Invader family as they wore a huge variety of schemes and markings and I have 4 of them in the stash at the minute, the buggers do have a habit of breeding though so there may well be more before too long. ;) 

• Haha 5

Welcome onboard @zebra :)

Some great suggestions being floated already, and scale isn't an issue @Marklo :) 

I've probably got "a few" options in my stash, say 30 or 40 or so... :whistle:

James

• Like 2

• 81-er changed the title to Post-WW2 Twins - Now at 11
21 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Well you know what Enzo @Enzo the Magnificent would say! :) 

23 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Obviously we're a long way off from needing to make choices yet but I will most likely be going with a member of the A/B-26 Invader family as they wore a huge variety of schemes and markings and I have 4 of them in the stash at the minute, the buggers do have a habit of breeding though so there may well be more before too long. ;)

Aha Craig, do tell, what would Enzo's advice be in such situations? :hmmm:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

Left myself wide open there didn't I!:)

Was going through the stash last night and finding some unusual options that didn't otherwise immediately come to mind but now afraid to post a list in fear that @Enzo the Magnificent will view it as some sort of commitment :o :lol:

• Haha 7