1/48 - Bristol Bulldog Mk.II by Airfix - box art+schemes+test build+3D renders - release April 2024

Homebee

4 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

[surprise releases] ...this is so much more exciting than getting a full list at the beginning of the year with only half the list actually appearing)   

I agree, and it cuts down on all the whingeing about "WHEN am I going to get my ____?  They said April and it is May now!"

For a split-second I was a bit surprised by this announcement, but then I thought, "Yeah, that's something that Airfix would go for."  I mean, if they're going to do a biplane fighter, and the Gladiator has already gotten more attention in 48th.  I tend to be a lot more interested in "Bulldog replacements", but I have a feeling that I'll be having one somewhere along the way.

bob

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AstroCanary said:

Well let's hope, because for anyone primarily interested in 1:48 Cold War stuff there is nothing! 

The year is still young. Don't forget the 1/48 Sea King and 1/72 Me 410 were surprise releases in 2023. Airfix has (I think) hinted there will be at least one such surprise this year.

• Like 1

Just curious here, but what is the little propeller device on wing for? ... I know modern airliners have them to deploy in emergency to provide power ,,, and WW2 Stuka's used similar for scare tactics, but what was the reason for this on the Bulldog?

Edited by One 48

They got the prop right this time around - and it comes with an RAAF marking option! What's not to like? (In case you didn't guess, I'll be getting one or two or so of these ...)

• Like 4

Thank you to the earlier posters who have reminded me that I have an Inpact kit of this - umm, at least one! - in the stash. Must build it before this comes out...

As for those who feel 'underwhelmed', I am sure there will be 'surprise' announcements during this year. I bet at one will be the SAR version of the Sea King, in its RAF yellow markings (and oters)  The only possible reason for delay will be if Airfix think another round of the curremt RN issue should go out first. Intersting marketing timing debate for them.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B_Bogus said:

Really pleased to see this.

Dare we dream of future Gamecocks, Siskins, Flycatchers, etc?

Hopefully.....along with a new-tool replacement for their now ancient Hawker Fury!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Just curious here, but what is the little propeller device on wing for? ... I know modern airliners have them to deploy in emergency to provide power ,,, and WW2 Stuka's used similar for scare tactics, but what was the reason for this on the Bulldog?

Wind-powered generator for powering lights and instruments.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Generator for the electrical items such as W/T and lights.

Quite common on 1920s/ 30s aircraft and even into the 1950s in aircraft without engine driven generators.

To me this release is sooo Airfix, kind of compliments their classic little 1:72 version.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

They got the prop right this time around - and it comes with an RAAF marking option! What's not to like? (In case you didn't guess, I'll be getting one or two or so of these ...)

Glad you mentioned the prop. That was one of the first things that came to mind recalling the 1/72 kit.   NIce subject and like others here, happy for the silver wing fans.

Just waiting now for the surprise releases during the coming year.

Don't forget the two seater Bulldog's certainly used by the RAF College Cranwell. 

28 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Aftermarket Bulldog trainer anyone?

Not that easy. New fuselage, interior, fin and rudder, correction set for the sweptback wings. Almost new kit.

Personally I think it's a brave (nice) move by Airfix into an area that isn't seemingly that popular in this scale. Now although I'm predominantly a cold war fan.. it's still great to see something leftfield. And having built a few pre war biplanes in 1/72 I've always thought that 1/48 suits them better... so well done Airfix for adding a bit of variety than the norm 👏 and maybe a few more other manufacturers will follow suit into this era and scale? I may dip into my pockets for this one should I be brave enough to tackle that rigging 😭 I just hope it sells well

• Like 3

10 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

should I be brave enough to tackle that rigging 😭

Rigging is not so bad - after it's over. You will be so exhausted of all the holding of breath and swearing that you will almost automatically forget the traumatic experience. 

Edited by TheKinksFan
  • Haha 2

Like others I jumped to the  conclusion that it was a 1/72 re release. But quite surprised it's new. I am fond of the  Bulldog so a possible customer.

5 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

Yes, but it's a pure re-release rather than a new tool, for those of us that only build in the larger scale and post 2ndWW front-line squadron subjects, there is little, I'm just hoping Airfix are planning on surprising me later in the year 😉

I believe the Airfix 1/48 Chipmunk is a new tool (2021) not a re-release of older moulds.

Very pleasantly surprised by this announcement - I can definitely see one of these winging its way to Victor Towers! I do hope Airfix have managed to refine the panel lines a bit and make the details sharper on their 2024 new tool releases. And I hope my personal Airfix demon (the shoulder-sitting type, not the Hawker type!) has had his fun and lets me build this without problems :laugh:

Cheers,

Mark

I'm asking for advice: how can a die hard 1/72 builder learn to like a 1/48 kit? This Bulldog as a subject is perfect for me, I love everything about it, it being an inter-war biplane, the schemes, the exposed engine etc. But I have a big problem with 1/48 kits. Stupidly I amassed a pretty large stash of 1/48 kits, all high quality releases (Eduard, Airfix, Tamiya, Hasegawa etc), but after building some of them I realized that I don't like size of the finished aircraft, and didn't get any enjoyment or satisfaction from looking at them, most of them are now hidden in shoe boxes. I sold all the 1/48 and 1/32 kits, but have still 1/48 Eduard biplanes and some other inter-war 1/48 biplanes in the stash, still uncertain what to do, keep or sell them.

I know I'm asking the impossible, no one can answer me if I would enjoy this 1/48 Bulldog, but maybe someone has had same kind of issues and managed to find enjoyment building the 'wrong scale'. This new Airfix kit seems to be decently detailed inside the cockpit, and that is an important enjoyment factor for me. I don't like my finished Eduard 1/48 Albatros D.V, it's a Weekend version, thus being pretty spartan inside (should have built a Profipack version which I have several). Sizewise Bulldog is a bit bigger than an Albatros, but comparing it to an 1/72 Swordfish there's not that much difference, Bulldog's wingspan is 21 cm, Swordfish's 19 cm, though the fuselage is considerably thicker. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

I'm asking for advice: how can a die hard 1/72 builder learn to like a 1/48 kit?

It’s easy. Just stand further away! :D 

Seriously though, the extra detail they (or you) cram into the spaces give larger kits added realism, and panel lines look better, as does the thickness of wings, cockpit sills , bay doors etc. 

• Like 3

I’m with TheKinksFan here. As a dedicated 1/72 modeller I have no interest in 1/48 kits, mainly due to space, however…..this may be the kit that tempts me to the dark(er) side. I’m in!

SD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheKinksFan said:

But I have a big problem with 1/48 kits.
[....]

but after building some of them I realized that I don't like size of the finished aircraft

The only thing I can suggest that might make the occasional 1/48 foray more palatable is sticking to smaller subjects  - a 1/48 interwar bipe is usually just as big or smaller as an 1/72 F-102 for instance. 
But it's a personal thing. 

or a very circumspect way of saying 'it's the wrong scale'...

/runs 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

I believe the Airfix 1/48 Chipmunk is a new tool (2021) not a re-release of older moulds.

Yes, so the 2024 release is a reissue (of a 2021 kit) not a completely new tool, 

• Like 1