The Mini Dioramas

Back in the Saddle

Too late for the 2024 bunfight, but nicely in time for 2025! :laugh:

Given the fun I had with the “Entropy” GB, learning new skills and modelling in media I’ve never worked with before, I thought it was worth distilling the best bits from that GB and using them as a basis for this suggestion.

Quite simply, just build a diorama that fits onto a ‘small’ base! Any genre of model can be considered - air, space, marine, vehicles, people, etc. - pick whatever you enjoy building.

Regarding size, the only criteria is that the finished diorama fits onto a base no larger than ‘approximately’ A4 (US letter sized for our friends across the pond!) Smaller bases, such as beermats are also welcome - the idea is just to keep it small and manageable. Perhaps a max base dimension of 30cm across?

Be artistic and give us your best creation! Who is interested in this? See below for the full list!

1. @Back in the Saddle

2. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

3. @Trevor L

4. @wimbledon99

5. @Angus Tura

6. @Mjwomack

7. @psdavidson

8.  @marvinneko

9. @Marklo

10. @Robert Stuart

11. @Bertie McBoatface

12. @MARADER

13. @AdrianMF

14. @TonyW

15. @Toryu

16. @Old Man

17.  @desert falcon

18.  @RJ-WobblyHands

19.  @John Masters

20. @Tim R-T-C

21. @ModelingEdmontonian

22. @bissyboat

23. @Colin W

24. @Paul821

25. @Muchmirth

26. @IanC

27. @bootneck

28. @Andy H

29. @Model Mate

30. @Redstaff

31. @vppelt68

• Like 3

Interesting idea but as an American were not familiar with the sizing terminology A4 ? Is there a way to post non UK specs for the dimensions ? I have a few diorama’s Id like to build at some point and if its a reasonable size then I would be interested. 

1 hour ago, Angus Tura said:

I'm interested in this, but I'm not clear about it. Would A4 be the only size, or a maximum size?

I’m flexible on size, the idea is to simply make some dioramas, have some fun and dabble with new skills - at least, new for some of us!

Happy to accept smaller entries but I think nothing larger than A4 (approximately equivalent to USA ‘letter’ size, if that’s more relevant to modellers on the other side of the Atlantic!). That should keep the builds manageable, encourage more participation hopefully produce dioramas that are compact and interesting.👍

Other options could be to produce a wild landscape, buildings, trains or even a rocket on a launchpad - as long as the base footprint is is compact, you can always extend upwards! Unlike the ‘entropy’ build, which inspired this suggested GB, the subject does NOT need to be derelict. A pristine car or aircraft would be equally welcome and acceptable.

• Like 1

It would be helpful to me anyway if the diorama could use an existing build. I have a belly-landed Hurricane built that needs a diorama, and a ground-looped collapsed landing gear Ventura in progress that will need one. I don't think I could manage a build + diorama in short order but who kmows.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, psdavidson said:

OK, sign me up.

Entropy was fun.

Consider yourself signed up! 👍

2 hours ago, marvinneko said:

It would be helpful to me anyway if the diorama could use an existing build. I have a belly-landed Hurricane built that needs a diorama, and a ground-looped collapsed landing gear Ventura in progress that will need one. I don't think I could manage a build + diorama in short order but who kmows.

Hi David.

I don’t have a problem with that, it’s as much about the diorama as the model itself. Shall I add your name to the list?

• Like 1

Yes. I have a boat kit that would fit in an A4 shipyard. By 2025 I could well be up to the task of building it half built. Since you are allowing the models to be pre-built anyway it’s possible that it could be done in the time available which I guess would be 3 months?

All of the above is weather permitting, if you know what I mean. Two years away is a long time at my age, young fellow. 👴

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

All of the above is weather permitting, if you know what I mean. Two years away is a long time at my age, young fellow. 👴

Two years away is a long time. One Russian rocket - ends modelling! 🥵

If the modelling gods are gracious - I want to participate. 😉

• Like 1

Participation list (belatedly!) updated!

On 26/10/2023 at 23:06, Bertie McBoatface said:

It will be a pleasure to have you along Bertie, especially as it was your 'Entropy' GB which inspired this idea!

On 27/10/2023 at 18:14, MARADER said:

If the modelling gods are gracious - I want to participate. 😉

I hope the gods are gracious! 😁

On 29/10/2023 at 10:03, AdrianMF said:

Count me in. I've done a couple of beer mat dioramas (10cm square max or a tad under 4 by 4 inches) and had a lot of fun with them.

Thanks Adrian. I nearly suggested beer mats for this one, but thought a bit larger would give more options! Beermat sized is also allowed...😉

Almost at the halfway mark - could be a bunfight contender!