Les Français en Afrique GB for 2025? *** Now at 34!*** come on, join the fun with us!

RidgeRunner

Hi all! I thought I'd run an idea past you to get another different, geographically centred, GB in the line up for 2025. It may not attract attention but I'm going to give it a try. Sign up if you are inclined and fancy a more gallic theme than we are used to! ;). It would cover any French-operated land, sea or air subject, across any period, The spirit of it would be to exhibit French-operated subjects from the continent and so could be aircraft, ships, cavalry and infantry, trucks, trains. It would not be to blend in something not French! ;). I am open to suggestion but please understand my "guidance" on the spirit of the GB. Thank you.

Edit 13/12/23: title change

Martin

1. @RidgeRunner

2. @Wez

3. @TEMPESTMK5

4. @vppelt68

5. @Rabbit Leader

6. @modelling minion

7. @jean

8. @2996 Victor

9. @Marklo

10. @cpoud117

11. @Jabba

12. @PATRICK FROM THE SANDS

13. @JOCKNEY

14. @Karearea

15. @franky boy

16. @ModelingEdmontonian

17. @Giorgio N

18. @Old Man

19. @John Masters

20. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

21. @UberDaveToo

22. @MrB17

23. @Jinxman

24. @wellzy

25. @Terry1954

26. @srkirad

27. @Lightningboy2000

28. @Smudge

29. @djos

30. @Jozeffrantisek

31. @Col.

32. @corsaircorp

33. @IanC

34. @theplasticsurgeon

edit: If you’ve ventured this far down my first post and you are interested in reading more, please consider signing up for this GB.

It is still running 600, or so, views ahead of the nearest rival proposal so there is certainly interest out there. I am comforted and cheered to see that. So, go on, sign up and have fun in the premier GB of 2025! :) 

Thank you! Martin

• Like 2

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Afrique Francais GB for 2025?

Good evening Martin

Very interesting Idea ..

Would any type of equipment (planes, ships , vehicles, trains, etc.), whatever its origin, used by the various French Air Force, Army and Navy units that served in Africa be acceptable ?

I don't think it will be possible to draw up a list , for example many Air Force units were permanently based in Africa when others only sent aircraft on temporary detachment to take part in the various operations France carried out in Africa in the past years ;

In fact if I'm not mistaken, most of the aircraft put into service by the Armée de l'Air and the Aéronavale have operated in Africa.

Patrice

• Like 1

• RidgeRunner changed the title to Afrique Francaise GB for 2025?
4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Acceptez-moi aussi, s'il vous plait! Peut-être avec quelque avion de Vichy, probablement depuis l'operation Torch.

"Frere-Pierre" :giggle:

Excellent, 

3 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Would any type of equipment (planes, ships , vehicles, trains, etc.), whatever its origin, used by the various French Air Force, Army and Navy units that served in Africa be acceptable ?

Yes, Patrice :) and I am very pleased to see you scrambling aboard!

Let’s develop the criteria as we go. Essentially I intend it to represent the African continent from a French perspective. So, not just any French Air Force aircraft or naval ship. It has to be represented as operating within the continent. Of course, it equally can be a French truck transiting Africa, a French infantryman in Egypt during the Napoleonic era, or a French race car on the Paris-Dakar rally. You get the idea, I hope. :)

Martin

Colonial type theatres of warfare are of particular interest to me so I’ll be up for this GB Martin. 

Just out of interest (not that I’m thinking that way) but I suspect French jets operated by the Israeli’s would be outside this GB’s geographical zone? 

Cheers.. Dave 

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Colonial type theatres of warfare are of particular interest to me so I’ll be up for this GB Martin. 

Just out of interest (not that I’m thinking that way) but I suspect French jets operated by the Israeli’s would be outside this GB’s geographical zone? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Then they'd have to be while attacking Egypt - Israel is in Asia, as is Syria, which denies some Vichy possibilities too. V-P

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

Hi Dave, 

I think that allowing the subject of French jets operating as such is outside of the spirit of my proposal. I hope you are still, though, happy to sign up!?

Martin

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Then they'd have to be while attacking Egypt - Israel is in Asia, as is Syria, which denies some Vichy possibilities too. V-P

Absolutely. 

Everyone, my thoughts for this potential GB are to guide us to something different, away from the usual British D-type roundel/star and bar/balkenkreuze/star of david emphasis. There are plenty of other opportunities on BM to pursue those interests. This is about French subjects operating within/located within/deployed to the African continent, civil or military. Air, land and sea are all welcome. In fact I would encourage them. There is so much choice. Even if Spitfires or Mosquitos are your thing (or Wellingtons) there are still French subjects to satisfy your urges ;). I'm sure the creative and expansive minds of the BM collective can come up with a stunning array of subjects! 

I hope that sits okay with everyone.

Martin

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Dave, 

I think that allowing the subject of French jets operating as such is outside of the spirit of my proposal. I hope you are still, though, happy to sign up!?

Martin

All good Martin, just thinking out aloud. There’s a number of Harvard’s, Trojans and a Mistral in the stash, so I’m sure there’s plenty there to consider. 

Cheers.. Dave 

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

All good Martin, just thinking out aloud. There’s a number of Harvard’s, Trojans and a Mistral in the stash, so I’m sure there’s plenty there to consider. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Good man! Those all sound perfect! :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Absolutely. 

Everyone, my thoughts for this potential GB are to guide us to something different, away from the usual British D-type roundel/star and bar/balkenkreuze/star of david emphasis. There are plenty of other opportunities on BM to pursue those interests. This is about French subjects operating within/located within/deployed to the African continent, civil or military. Air, land and sea are all welcome. In fact I would encourage them. There is so much choice. Even if Spitfires or Mosquitos are your thing (or Wellingtons) there are still French subjects to satisfy your urges ;). I'm sure the creative and expansive minds of the BM collective can come up with a stunning array of subjects! 

I hope that sits okay with everyone.

Martin

Martin

This is going to be a huge GB given the wide range of aviation subjects  and it should attract many participants ...

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Martin

This is going to be a huge GB given the wide range of aviation subjects  and it should attract many participants ...

Best Regards

Patrice

Well, Patrice, it deserves to be! My angle is, clearly, aviation, but even other subjects offer wide range of possibilities. 

Martin

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

Well, Patrice, it deserves to be! My angle is, clearly, aviation, but even other subjects offer wide range of possibilities. 

Martin

Yes I agree it clearly deserves to be ...

Every Brittmodellers should find something interesting in this Gb whatever the subject but I think that it would be better to have sub gbs for Air , Sea and Land subjects ...

Patrice

2 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Yes I agree it clearly deserves to be ...

Every Brittmodellers should find something interesting in this Gb whatever the subject but I think that it would be better to have sub gbs for Air , Sea and Land subjects ...

Patrice

Is that possible? @Enzo the Magnificent?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I think that it would be better to have sub gbs for Air , Sea and Land subjects ...

1 minute ago, RidgeRunner said:

Is that possible? @Enzo the Magnificent?

It's been done before.  We simply have three galleries.

• Like 4

Moi aussi Martin!

I have been slowly building up a collection of French aircraft based in North Africa and have a Corsair, Helldiver, and Skyraider completed so far with kits and decals put aside for quite a few more including a Hellcat, Harvard, Storch, Anson, Mosquito, Spitfire and Wellington to name a few.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Moi aussi Martin!

I have been slowly building up a collection of French aircraft based in North Africa and have a Corsair, Helldiver, and Skyraider completed so far with kits and decals put aside for quite a few more including a Hellcat, Harvard, Storch, Anson, Mosquito, Spitfire and Wellington to name a few.

Well, Craig, you are way ahead of me!!!! :) I fancy building a Martinet ;)  

• Like 1