Les Français en Afrique GB for 2025? *** Now at 34!*** come on, join the fun with us!

RidgeRunner

3 hours ago, cpoud117 said:

That might just be the excuse I need to tackle my Italeri F-100D in Djibouti

Or maybe I'll figure out how to make French-style blast deflectors for my Hasegawa Jaguar and tackle that vanilla and chocolate camo? 

Excellent, mate 

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

If I read and understand correctly, there is no decent quality 1:72 scale SEPECAT Jaguar kits available? My question has nothing to do with this GB proposal, of course :whistle:. V-P

The Italeri kits are not bad. They were originally issued in 1996.  The Hasegawa kits are earlier (1984) and have weird stores loadouts that require a bit of aftermarket. They also have raised panel lines as one would expect from a kit if this vintage.  

The Hobby Boss kits were issued in 2015 and are really quite nice if you ignore the fact that they cannot be built with open airbrakes.   Jaguars are invariably parked with them open.  I'm amazed that there is no AM resin to correct this.

My choice would be to go with the Italeri ones.   Especially as I have four in The Stash. :D 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

If I read and understand correctly, there is no decent quality 1:72 scale SEPECAT Jaguar kits available? My question has nothing to do with this GB proposal, of course :whistle:. V-P

Great news V-P 

I have a Dontesk Toy Factory, ex Novo, ex Frog one you could build.

Do you want it for Christmas ? :wicked:

Cheers Pat

• Haha 1

I’d definitely be interested. I was going to model a Djibouti Mirage IIIC for the STGB next year, but I would save that for this instead and do something else from the stash for the STGB (I have a bit of a thing for Mirages..).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Karearea said:

I’d definitely be interested. I was going to model a Djibouti Mirage IIIC for the STGB next year, but I would save that for this instead and do something else from the stash for the STGB (I have a bit of a thing for Mirages..).

Or, you could build one in natural metal or the air defence blue scheme for the STGB and build one in the desert scheme for this GB.

You can never have too many Mirages in your life. :wicked:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wez said:

Or, you could build one in natural metal or the air defence blue scheme for the STGB and build one in the desert scheme for this GB.

I was thinking along those lines… that being said I can see this quickly filling up with Djibouti Mirages.

So a Heller Fennec operating out of Algeria could also be interesting.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Karearea said:

I was thinking along those lines… that being said I can see this quickly filling up with Djibouti Mirages.

So a Heller Fennec operating out of Algeria could also be interesting.

An eminently suitable choice sir!  The more recent boxings come with the correct shaped gunpods for a French Fennec.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got a strange suspicion this GB will grow legs and get up for 2025. When you sit down and take a look at what’s on offer, there are so many exotic choices one can choose. Be best to grab a decent set of AM French cockades as many an old decal sheet I posses have these way out of register. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Karearea said:

Excellent, mate. You are in! :)

17 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve got a strange suspicion this GB will grow legs and get up for 2025. When you sit down and take a look at what’s on offer, there are so many exotic choices one can choose. Be best to grab a decent set of AM French cockades as many an old decal sheet I posses have these way out of register. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Absolutely, Dave! There are so many choices :)

• Thanks 1

I’d quite like to do something Aéronavale after the excellent FAA GB this year, and the upcoming US Naval GB next year- I’ll need to do some research regarding what would fit but I agree that this is a very compelling topic and should be in with a real chance.

I’d happily stick with my other choices too!

Edited by Karearea
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Karearea said:

I’d quite like to do something Aéronavale after the excellent FAA GB this year, and the upcoming US Naval GB next year- I’ll need to do some research regarding what would fit but I agree that this is a very compelling topic and should be in with a real chance.

I’d happily stick with my other choices too!

Off of the top of my head, post-war aircraft and in keeping with the GB intent :

Avenger - various marks

Corsair (I think)

Helldiver (I'd have to double check)

HSS-1 Seabat

H-21Shawnee

Lancaster

Hellcat

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Ah, no. They were mainland based. If there was a Languedoc it could work ;)

I think some Lancasters were based at Maison Blanche in Algeria in the late 50s although they may have been civilian government assets rather than Aeronavale

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Wez said:

I think some Lancasters were based at Maison Blanche in Algeria in the late 50s although they may have been civilian government assets rather than Aeronavale

I think you are right, Wez. Decals can be found with Xtradecal. I have that kit - I think - in the pile and the lifeboat too! ;). What I don’t have is space for it :(. 

How about a SAR Connie ;)

37 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

It would be great to get some AFV or nautical interest, or figures or trucks/cars. I love a bit of variety :). 

Couldn't agree more, this sort of GB is very inclusive

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I know this is a lightyear (or just Buzz for short) away from becoming reality, even the RAF versions and the French even further, but this Airfix Aerodrome feature about the Jaguar makes me itch... and wonder... V-P

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a new Jaguar from Airfix in both 1/72 and 1/48, it would fit right in with their recent releases.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get a new Jaguar from Airfix in [...] 1/72

I would very likely reach critical mass...!  :bounce:   Especially if it was tooled for T-bird and French options.  :frantic:

• Haha 2