Site slooooow!

The site's been slow for me the whole weekend, with posting / reading. Just tried to post an RFI, it was no fun. Links weren't embedding, the whole process took forever.

I’ve just restarted the http server, which seems to have brought her back, but I’ve not had a peep from support in the last few hours :hmmm:

• Thanks 2

Well, after another look at the system, Support have confirmed that it’s looking rather like a DDoS or Distributed Denial of Service attack, which are usually carried out by hacking groups at the request of someone with an axe to grind and money to spend. Someone childish and spiteful. 

We’ve had this before a lot, and I thought it had been too quiet for too long, but here we are again. Probably the same deeply sad people as it was last time, that hate me and the ‘success’ of Britmodeller for whatever reason - I never did find out what I’m supposed to have done. 

So. We have a few choices:

• Give up and shut the site down, which is what they’d like. 
  • Spend money we don’t have on a DDoS mitigation service like CloudFlare.
  • Spend that same money on tracking these people down and expose them for the pathetic individuals they are.
  • Soldier on and hope they run out of spare money to commission these attack.

It’s the kind of thing that really makes a mockery of karma, isn’t it? They’d all be too infected with boils on their necks and backsides, or worse if such a thing existed. 

Any other suggestions? It would be too much to ask if we have a white hat hacker in our number, I suppose. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

I for one am soldiering on with BM. To paraphrase really bad faux Latin. Illegitmous no tatum Carborundum (Don't let the B* wear you down)or words to that effect. Personally I hope that a 1000 hungry fleas infect their nether regions (no not the Netherlands)and they don't have the ability to scratch themselves..

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mike said:

Well, after another look at the system, Support have confirmed that it’s looking rather like a DDoS or Distributed Denial of Service attack, which are usually carried out by hacking groups at the request of someone with an axe to grind and money to spend. Someone childish and spiteful. 

We’ve had this before a lot, and I thought it had been too quiet for too long, but here we are again. Probably the same deeply sad people as it was last time, that hate me and the ‘success’ of Britmodeller for whatever reason - I never did find out what I’m supposed to have done. 

So. We have a few choices:

• Give up and shut the site down, which is what they’d like. 
  • Spend money we don’t have on a DDoS mitigation service like CloudFlare.
  • Spend that same money on tracking these people down and expose them for the pathetic individuals they are.
  • Soldier on and hope they run out of spare money to commission these attack.

It’s the kind of thing that really makes a mockery of karma, isn’t it? They’d all be too infected with boils on their necks and backsides, or worse if such a thing existed. 

Any other suggestions? It would be too much to ask if we have a white hat hacker in our number, I suppose. 

I rather suspected it was. The pattern of ok in the morning, slow in the middle of the day, speed up again in the evening, seemed to suggest an attack of some sort on the site. Sadly whoever it is just doesn't know when they are beaten. Just been checking, and DDOS attacks are classified as a criminal act under the computer misuse act, so whoever is doing it is committing a crime. Is it worth reporting it as it has happened a number of times now?

• Like 1

It's been intermittently slow on my mobile, via the app. I'm also getting chunks of image, e.g. a section of the page top banner, overlaying thread posts. Not sure how else to describe it, I'm afraid.

Soldiering on here. Huge thanks to Mike for, well, everything!

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hire a hit man?

Or we could try my wife's preferred punishment, which entails removing a certain part of the male anatomy without an anaesthetic. Mind you, she advocates that punishment for everyone from rapists down to parking on double yellows.

John.

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

What Bill said. :like:

Ditto

Being a crooked lawyer I could get quotes on rates from clients for the hit and you compare on a cost benefit analysis versus ddos costs. you know, do you want full service or just a broken bone or two?

jus kiddin honest. 

more seriously 

@Mike Did you get a cost for the ddos protection?  It might be worth it and not that great once spread across even a small percentage of the membership. I had a quick look on line and costs look pretty variable. I guess you get what you pay for. 

I take it that it’s the usual suspects. Came close to being named and shamed before iirc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1