1/48 - Westland Sea King HAS.1/HAS.5/HU.5 by Airfix - box art+test build - release Summer 2023

wadeocu

5 minutes ago, Greg B said:

Well, that’s 3 guessed (with one from Zvezda). Now about that new Jag  and Scout/Wasp… :)

Was someone doing a 1/48 Scout/ Wasp? Can't remember. 
Also would love a 1/48 Alouette III.

Alan

I agree that the rivets are just wrong; it makes the fuselage look... quilted is probably the best description.  The one thing that looks quite bad though, is the tail fold.  Check 4:34 in the video.  If you had told me that was a 1:72 Italeri kit I would have said "not their best work".  On the plus side those exhausts look properly thin.  I'd like to see what the dipping sonar looks like deployed, if an option, as that would be a cool feature to display somehow.

• Like 2

Well, I have to say that I’m more than a little underwhelmed that their so called surprise announcement is not their long awaited and very much in demand 1/24th scale TSR2 with full weapons load and in service cockpits.

In fact I’m so upset that I might just have to buy a couple, just to make myself feel better.

Graham

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Announcing a kit when it is ready is a nice change. We get a surge of interest and data and then the first builds in short order. All very exciting. There are some nice references in the promotion video as well.

I can see a 1/48 Ark Royal IV (partial?) flight deck in my future.

• Like 5

Dear Airfix,

Please don't bother making nice models for us as we are all miserable old gits and will never be happy with anything!

Regards,

Old Gits! 😡

• Like 3
  • Haha 19

11 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Can you see a Junglie in there?

I cannot see the fixed landing gear but I can see windows for a Junglie and "disco lights" on the clear sprue which were common for Junglies ...

• Like 1

I must have missed the memo, is there now a prize or such for who can make the biggest passive aggressive whinge when a new kit comes out?

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, zigster said:

Can it be build as an Aussie Mk50?

z

It should have all the parts, at least for the early ones- the mk 50 was basically the same as an RN HAS2, which was (externally) a HAS 1 with the 6 bladed tail rotor. Antennae and other external bits and bobs changed over the years (e.g. the long fillet along on the port tail, composite main rotors), so worth choosing a particular airframe you wnat to modle and seeing what's needed.

Edited by Dave Fleming

11 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Does anyone know what active dipping sonar the HAS.1 had? Was it from the US, or the UK? I am looking for info about the display consoles and the dipping sonar transmitter. I think the dipping sonar might have been Plessey 195, which would make it from Thales correct?

TIA

Brad

Yes, the HAS1 had 195, as did the HAS2; the 2 had uprated engines & transmission, 6-bladed tail rotor, “barn door” anti-FOD/ice shield, plus radio/avionics differences - and evolved a lot during its life (notably the early passive ASW era) before eventually emerging as the HAS5.

14 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

Never mind the 'connections in high places' - those maintainers who have been showing Airfix the details of the Sea King are working with an HAR3, so they will expect it !  

They’re actually working on 2 HAR3s (that “Marine One” cab in the pictures is an HAR3 painted for a Netflix thing and the most recent Mission Impossible film), an HU5, 2 x HC4s and 2 x ex-Belgian Mk.48s - the latter being a kind of mixture of HU5 (Sea Searcher radar) and HAR3 (rear bubble windows, extra internal battery behind the RH pilot) with a very whizzy 2-channel digital AFCS that the UK MoD decided not to buy because they’d put their eggs into the Merlin basket by then.  Yesterday is the first time I’ve seen a Mk.48 up close & personal.

Oh, and they have a Whirly HAR10, 2 x Wessex HU5s & a Widgeon - plus a visiting Wasp.  Rotary-wing heaven!

The Airfix guys apparently LIDAR scanned and/or photographed and/or measured around 30 airframes during the design; the primary scan was a HU/HAS5 at HMS Sultan in Gosport.

Understandably they were tactfully discrete about future releases yesterday, but from what I saw I’d say the only version that is unlikely in future is an AEW2/ASaC7, because of the interior.  If it were just a case of adding a giant colostomy bag and changing the door, it would be easy, but since Airfix have gone down the full interior route that would require a major redesign, and I doubt there’s the market.  So if AEW is your thing, Hasegawa is the only game in town.  Later today I plan to start a WIP on the Airfix kit, and I’ll include comparisons with the Hasegawa (I still have 2 unbuilt, plus the 75% complete ZE419).  

The Reskit main rotor head that will surely follow in due course might even get ZE419 finished.  I’ve known about the Airfix kit for about 18 months (I contributed in a very small way to the research) and had to keep schtum, so finally my hesitation in tackling my own 3D printed rotor head in order to get ZE419 finished might be more understandable!

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

They’re actually working on 2 HAR3s (that “Marine One” cab in the pictures is an HAR3 painted for a Netflix thing and the most recent Mission Impossible film), an HU5, 2 x HC4s and 2 x ex-Belgian Mk.48s - the latter being a kind of mixture of HU5 (Sea Searcher radar) and HAR3 (rear bubble windows, extra internal battery behind the RH pilot) with a very whizzy 2-channel digital AFCS that the UK MoD decided not to buy because they’d put their eggs into the Merlin basket by then.  Yesterday is the first time I’ve seen a Mk.48 up close & personal.

Oh, and they have a Whirly HAR10, 2 x Wessex HU5s & a Widgeon - plus a visiting Wasp.  Rotary-wing heaven!

They really do have a wonderful set up and some fantastic machines, its great to them flying rather than just being static in a museum.

10 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

The Reskit main rotor head that will surely follow in due course

Having seen one or two Sea King rotor heads up close it must be a daunting prospect for even modern 3D printing.

🇺🇦

20 hours ago, JamesP said:

Hopefully, someone will supply 10,000 3D printed domed rivets so an accurate model can be built 🤣

For anyone who didn't get I was joking, the reason for recessed rivets is that they look more in scale and also they don't get removed if you need to sand the joins -  I watched Moz's YT stream to the end where he asked Chris about them.

Airfix have certainly played a blinder with this kit, how they kept it so quiet is incredible in this day and age!

The reveal was fun and involving, really showed how enthusiastic Airfix can be about their business subject.  Also nice to have a reveal so shortly before the item hits the shops, really feel that Airfix are on top of their game right now.

I would think an AEW.2 (or even ASaC.7) would be possible by the powers of 3d printing or resin extras, completed with the door shut, or scratch built interior if the modeller fancies.

Let's hope they had time to look over that Whirlwind while at Chard.

Looking forward to your build Crisp!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Let's hope they had time to look over that Whirlwind while at Chard.

Interesting choice of subject, the Sea King; kinda ticks all the Airfix boxes for me though. Except of course it does fly in the face of the received wisdom oft cited on modelling forums by those much more knowledgeable than me that "its well known that helicopter kits are not popular, don't sell... so don't expect Airfix to do any in future... they've said as much...". Funny that. 🤔

😂 🤣😂

Sarcasm mode off. Order just placed with Jadlam at their discounted price, plus a couple of quid off with my reward points and free UK postage. V. happy!  

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Mike said:

Given they already have a penchant for doing such things for other kits, I'd bet on Eduard creating that particular update for those that simply must have domed rivets and don't fancy losing them during assembly. :yes:

Quinta has just forayed into that area too...

While HGW seem to have slowed down a bit (or do less advertising/marketing)

15 minutes ago, RichG said:

Interesting choice of subject, the Sea King; kinda ticks all the Airfix boxes for me though. Except of course it does fly in the face of the received wisdom oft cited on modelling forums by those much more knowledgeable than me that "its well known that helicopter kits are not popular, don't sell... so don't expect Airfix to do any in future... they've said as much...". Funny that. 🤔

Rich

I missed out on the Italeri 1/48 Wessex when it came out and it took me ages to get one in an auction. Second hand ones fetched full retail price (or more). Italeri have kept re-releasing the various versions and it seems to be a strong seller and there are always loads on display at Telford. That, plus the difficulty of getting an Airfix 1/48 Merlin these days, always seemed anecdotal evidence to me that helicopters could sell pretty well. 

I'm very grateful for this Airfix release and can continue to hope for a Wasp/Scout/Whirlwind/Puma...

Jon

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Aeronut22 said:

Why do Airfix pander to those modellers who think rivet detail is best represented by holes all over the surface?

The Seaking is covered in mushroom headed rivets which to my mind would be easier (and cheaper) to include in a mould tooling than the countersunk holes that cover this kit. Are Airfix still mentally scarred over criticisms of their 'dinner plate' rivet detail on kits they produced in the 1960s? 

Now I appreciate that once painted these 'holes' produce a tromp l'oeil effect and can look like raised rivets, but in the close up photos it just looks like someone has been busy with a windy and is in the process of deskinning the aircraft.

The answer is plastic microspheres which can be run over the surface to fill the dimples. Easy to reinstate if needed as location marked as opposed to duplicating tooled dome rivets. I have found a source for something suitable but the cost is an issue. Cospheric is the company I found.

Despite claims I've not found any of the 3D-printed onto decal film systems that actually work well - many are stacked circular pyramids which just look dumb.

On a related note Airfix have superb Operational Security which HMG should take note of.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Greg B said:

Well, that’s 3 guessed (with one from Zvezda). Now about that new Jag  and Scout/Wasp… :)

I think the Jaguar retool is long overdue now.
Im not sure if I should sell the two Kitty Hawk kits Ive got on ebay while they still fetch stupid money or wait.

I can almost feel it. And it will put the Kitty Hawk kit to shame when it comes.

18 hours ago, John B (Sc) said:

I intend to have an HMS Gannet machine as (one of) my first builds of this kit.  I was slightly disappointed when I heard that all four options in the kit are XV666 - which just means more work sourcing additional numbers, but if XV669 was at Gannet, problem solved !

Sadly not; XV669 seems to have had a somewhat unlucky life.  Joined 706 in 1970; engine flame out March 71; cargo door fell off into Falmouth Bay March 71; No 2 engine failed Nov 71; tried to take off from Blake with a lashing still attached  June 76; then finally main rotor blade balance weights detached in flight and the resultant severe vibration meant the crew lost control and ditched 18 miles South of Portland Bill March 76.  The crew survived and the fuselage was recovered, but there is no record it ever went anywhere near Gannet.  

• Like 1