LGOC Coal lorry and London bus dual build. Mini Art 1/35.

LGOC (London General Omnibus Company) Coal lorry and London bus dual build.

Mini Art 1/35

LGOC10.JPG

I tend to lurk here in the vehicle forum to admire the work, as I am mostly an aircraft modeler but I do like the stuff posted here. In fact it does tempt me to have the odd go at building something wheeled now and again, and when I saw the Mini Art London bus I knew I had to get one. The trouble was it looked like a very complicated kit,

so I thought it would be better to start with the coal lorry and see how I got on. Both kits share the same engine/chassis moldings, but the lorry bodywork is way simpler than the bus. 

They are very finely molded and throughout the challenge was always not to break something as I worked on them, especially the bus and all those handrails! Anyway, I persevered with the lorry and then took the plunge and purchased the bus kit. Lovely kits, but they really do make you nervous when working on them!

I finished them both over a year ago so here they are!

LGOC11.JPG

LGOC12.JPG

LGOC13.JPG

LGOC14.JPG

LGOC15.JPG

LGOC16.JPG

I pinched a bit of my sons model railway coal to scatter on the load bed.

LGOC17.JPG

And to the bus, only when I had managed to build the lorry did I feel confident to shell out £55 for the kit

LGOC1.JPG

LGOC2.JPG

LGOC3.JPG

LGOC4.JPG

LGOC5.JPG

LGOC6.JPG

LGOC7.JPG

LGOC8.JPG

LGOC9.JPG

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 36

Both look fabulous, damn those miniart kits are good and you've done them well. Impressive. And I love the "stolen" coal, helps finish it.

• Like 1

Fabulous job John on both of these builds.  The bus made me recall a Matchbox toy I had as a child, your build makes me want to build this kit as a tribute to my childhood memory. Your subtle paint work on the upper benches, wheels, engine details and contrast between the bright red and the dark red stairs and flooring is particularly nice.

I am finishing up an arduous build this week of the Mini-Art M3 Lee kit (the Australian one with full interior) which must have at least 10,000 oversized molding gates that needed to be trimmed and cleaned-up. I identified with your “breaking delicate parts” comment, I gave up trying to use any of the micro molded tubing/ hose parts and replaced most of them with solder wire. Mini-Art kits are definitely not for beginners!

Edited by nearsightedjohn
Content corrections
  • Like 1

Two lovely period piece models.

I remember building the 1/32nd scale Airfix version of this bus many years ago and unlike this one the ads were printed on paper and not decals would you believe! I don't know if they went over to decals eventually in one of their re releases over the years though.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 8:10 PM, Viking said:

LGOC (London General Omnibus Company) Coal lorry and London bus dual build.

Mini Art 1/35

LGOC10.JPG

I tend to lurk here in the vehicle forum to admire the work, as I am mostly an aircraft modeler but I do like the stuff posted here. In fact it does tempt me to have the odd go at building something wheeled now and again, and when I saw the Mini Art London bus I knew I had to get one. The trouble was it looked like a very complicated kit,

so I thought it would be better to start with the coal lorry and see how I got on. Both kits share the same engine/chassis moldings, but the lorry bodywork is way simpler than the bus. 

They are very finely molded and throughout the challenge was always not to break something as I worked on them, especially the bus and all those handrails! Anyway, I persevered with the lorry and then took the plunge and purchased the bus kit. Lovely kits, but they really do make you nervous when working on them!

I finished them both over a year ago so here they are!

LGOC11.JPG

LGOC12.JPG

LGOC13.JPG

LGOC14.JPG

LGOC15.JPG

LGOC16.JPG

I pinched a bit of my sons model railway coal to scatter on the load bed.

LGOC17.JPG

And to the bus, only when I had managed to build the lorry did I feel confident to shell out £55 for the kit.

LGOC1.JPG

LGOC2.JPG

LGOC3.JPG

LGOC4.JPG

LGOC5.JPG

LGOC6.JPG

LGOC7.JPG

LGOC8.JPG

LGOC9.JPG

Thanks for looking,

John

A lovely build of the bus, but the only thing that annoys me about the kit  is that the decal sheet GENERAL fleetname  is wrong.  the "G" is a totally different shape to the real thing and to me detracts from the finished article.

Selwyn

• Like 1

Hi John

I just noticed these two exquisite models by chance. They are both superb and the detail on the lorry engine is wonderful. Like you I lurk on the vehicle forum from time to time and admire the work of others but so far I have resisted the temptation to stray from the straight and narrow of 1/144 airliners!

All the best

Dave G

• Like 1

Sorry I missed these model vehicles, John-

Amazing quality of work on both - I could never pull these off to your standard so envy your workmanship.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

These are cracking builds of kits that I am nervous of. The bus in particular has so much appeal.

Further to @Selwyn s comment about the fleetname, it appears to be a pre ww1 style, and the G was certainly an odd shape compared to that on the underlined fleetnames.

I am going to attempt a link to a LTmuseum photo that shows it, but it will be copyright so if the pic appears I will have to delete it.

The photo does also show that the lettering was shaded.

This above is entirely incidental to your model.

Matt

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/photographs/item/2004-8289

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farmer matt said:

These are cracking builds of kits that I am nervous of. The bus in particular has so much appeal.

Further to @Selwyn s comment about the fleetname, it appears to be a pre ww1 style, and the G was certainly an odd shape compared to that on the underlined fleetnames.

I am going to attempt a link to a LTmuseum photo that shows it, but it will be copyright so if the pic appears I will have to delete it.

The photo does also show that the lettering was shaded.

This above is entirely incidental to your model.

Matt

https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/photographs/item/2004-8289

Thats deceptive due to the letter highlighting not being very visible in the B and W image, the "G" Font never changed throughout Generals existence although they did change the fleetname to the underlined central letter sstyle  when the  the lighter red livery was adopted in 1913/14 time.

I  can see how miniart made the mistake.

Selwyn

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback chaps, I hadn't noticed the shape of the 'G' but I see what you mean.

Fortunately I'm not too hung up on the error, I enjoyed both the builds and that's the main thing for me!

• Like 3