Airfix 2023

I think we always knew there wouldn't be many new releases, even if only in our secret hearts. The pandemic and supply chain issues, as well as the economic downturn/inflation are all starting to bite this year. Rough day for the fellas trying to sell their 1/48 Classic Airframes Gannets, though. 

• Haha 4

Another one F-35 on the stockpile ! Great ! Why this choice as we have already many good 1/72 F-35s on the market... It is like the large amount of good F-14s on the kit market ! Why not a good kit of a Javelin, a Scimitar or a Sea Vixen ? We were so happy when they had released a new tool 1/72 Buccaneer, some years ago !

• Like 4

I am very pleased with the announcement. I didn't have any expectations and as a car builder I now have a Bond Bug, McLaren, Lamborghini and an Aston Martin to look forward to.

Edited by dbostream

Very little for me there, but the Gannet looks brilliant - happy days for the 1/48th gang

I may have a Gulf War Bucc, that’ll be about it, and that’s probably good news as the stash is already vast!

1/72 Canberras next year then?

SD

• Like 2

I'm impressed that Airfix has reissued the Rotodyne and Bloodhound, and done a new Gannet and F-35B - all good choices, I think. The Bond Bug, too. What am I likely to buy? Only the 1/72 Tempest and Spitfire Vc, maybe that F-35B - apparently we here in the northland just bought something like 88 of the F-35A, but maybe a conversion is possible - but overall, well done, Airfix!

John

Disappointing, reallly disappointing.............

Another missed opportunity ...........

Another F-35 ???

even reworking old toolings (like the Auster canopy) would be more exciting.....

Edited by 72nders
misspelling
  • Like 1

A very balanced lot and because I had even expectations I was not disappointed. On the contrary a 48th Gannet for £50! The Mosquito will have a corrected bomb bay , good news for many. By the description I think the Auster will be a little more than a re hashed canopy. Some of the re boxes have no artwork yet but the Sea Fury will include an Aussie on the box and a couple of RN along side. Should be an interesting club night tonight as a member is coming up who works for Airfix and wishes to discuss the days announcement.

Keith 

• Like 3

If there's a choice between Airfix 1/72 Bf 110E and Eduard Bf 110E, at least I know where my money would go. The same applies to Airfix Brewster Buffalo and the Hobby 2000/Hasegawa kit. Or a a re-release of the Airfix 1/72 P-51D vs Arma Hobby P-51D.

At least the P-51D is a nice kit, but their Bf 110 is really crude. 

Edited by TheKinksFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Plastic Bonsai said:

I'll wait for the AEW Gannet that must come.

I doubt an Airfix AEW.3 Gannet will be here anytime soon. I'm sure experts will correct me, but my understanding is the AEW version is so different from the other versions that it would need at least a new fuselage as well as many other specific parts, undercarriage etc.  It would in effect have to be a totally different kit. That was certainly my experience from trying to convert a 1/72 AS version to an AEW many years ago.  Although personally I would have preferred the AEW, I think Aifix have probably made a sensible commercial choice going for the AS version. This fits in with their 50's naval types collection, allows for a weapons load/bomb bay and offers more marking options with overseas operators and FAA Squadrons (for future re-boxing opportunities). I shall definitely look forward to building one.

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

It's hard being an exclusive 1/72er these days. Everyone is making so much 1/48. The corrected PR Mosquito will probably be my only purchase. Did we really need another F-35B in 1/72? There's plenty of already very good kits of it on the market. I guess everyone still moans about the RAM tape issue so if Airfix solve that it could make many happy.

• Like 4

Very happy with the new Buccs, might end up getting both the 1/48th and the Granby one because that is a joy of a kit. I generally don't build armour, but the Ferret is interesting, very different and looks nicely detailed. Gannet is clearly a winner, all those parts and detail in 1/48 for £50 is a steal! Reissues are nice and varied and it's good to hear they are editing moulds to fix innacurracies.

This might sound slightly strange, but I really do like the gift sets Airfix have started doing, especially the 617 Sq one. Combining two legendary aircraft will surely sell well.

Welp, looks like that student loan that came in yesterday may end up going straight back out 😶

Will

Edited by cerperal

Things people are overlooking about the new F-35B

1. It’s a starter set so will appeal much more to beginners and casual builders and will give an accurate, if simplified, model of the newest fixed wing aircraft in RAF service.

2. Other manufacturers kits don’t make money for Airfix. I bet Airfix sell boatloads of these, especially at the different air shoes they go to where the F-35 will be a star of the show. I’m sure this choice was inspired by the number of people who come to the Airfix stand after an F-35 display wanting to buy a kit of that aircraft.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

I thought there might be an element of milking the tool before arma makes a D, given how many boxings of this there already are

Doubtful as the Airfix kit has seen several reboxings at this point. In addition, the Arma kit won’t have nearly the same distribution in the UK as the Arma kit and the Arma kit will sell at several 3-4 times the price of the Airfix. Different kits for different markets!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

And yet another rendering of the Lanc as a Dam Buster!!!!   Why not the Tallboy or Grand Slam versions for a change like they did back in the 80s or 90s or whenever?

80th Anniversary of the Dams raid this year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VMA131Marine said:

Things people are overlooking about the new F-35B

1. It’s a starter set so will appeal much more to beginners and casual builders and will give an accurate, if simplified, model of the newest fixed wing aircraft in RAF service.

2. Other manufacturers kits don’t make money for Airfix. I bet Airfix sell boatloads of these, especially at the different air shoes they go to where the F-35 will be a star of the show. I’m sure this choice was inspired by the number of people who cane to the Airfix stand after an F-35 display wanting to buy a kit of that aircraft.

I agree. This is the kit that has the job to sell to make money now and to be enjoyed to sell other kits in the future. And that hopefully contributes to the success of both the business and the hobby.

If that means us serious hobbyists don't get quite what we want, for now, then we'll have to suck it up.

• Like 1

Grumbling and moaning is useless  but still no Lizzie, Battle or Hampden so I'm a bit :sad:.

On the other hand a 1/48 Gannet makes me very happy, the Buccaneer too even if for financial reasons I'll probably go for the "new" 1/72 one.

27 minutes ago, Britman said:

A very balanced lot and because I had even expectations I was not disappointed. On the contrary a 48th Gannet for £50! The Mosquito will have a corrected bomb bay , good news for many. By the description I think the Auster will be a little more than a re hashed canopy. Some of the re boxes have no artwork yet but the Sea Fury will include an Aussie on the box and a couple of RN along side. Should be an interesting club night tonight as a member is coming up who works for Airfix and wishes to discuss the days announcement.

Keith 

I believe that it will not be a corrected bombaby as the PRXVI had the original non-bulged bombbay, In any case at least one for me

I wonder if we can buy the Austers canopies for our original 1958 release kits

Edited by Charlie Hugo

I'm happy with these announcements, mainly as I haven't bought Airfix stuff for a while.  The Gannet is a must; however I would also have preferred a mainstream car kit, such a Maxi, 1100 or a mini, rather than the Bug.   The Ferret will be good as I can do an Aden 1960s or Cyprus invasion 1974 diorama.  Even the series 1 Land Rover in 1:43 scale will be on my shopping list, as I can use it to scale up a scratchbuild to 1:35 scale.

I'm surprised at the Austin 30 cwt GS truck in 1:35 scale, because Gecko released a version only last month.  Are they the same moulds?

Happy days for me,

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1