Jump to content

VMA131Marine

Gold Member
  • Posts

    2,160
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    4

VMA131Marine last won the day on October 19

VMA131Marine had the most liked content!

1 Follower

About VMA131Marine

  • Birthday 04/12/1964

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Connecticut, USA
  • Interests
    USMC Aviation, Fleet Air Arm, Post-war British jets

Recent Profile Visitors

3,719 profile views

VMA131Marine's Achievements

Very Obsessed Member

Very Obsessed Member (5/9)

2.8k

Reputation

  1. I didn’t measure the props for accuracy but they should be wider than those on a Mosquito with the single stage Merlin to accommodate the extra power. They don’t look out of place to me.
  2. Airbrushed with Gunze Mr. Color paints. I used Mig Masking putty to mask of the camouflage pattern.
  3. I finished them this weekend. They have been under construction for some time and the show was the perfect inducement to get me to get them completed.
  4. As I understand it, Airfix have a researcher whose job it is to provide detailed information on the aircraft to be kitted to the designers, who are not subject matter experts. The researcher is supposed to figure out what features on the real thing should carry over to the model.
  5. The Eduard kit has, by far the most parts and is the most detailed. They are all quite easy builds with the most challenging thing being the painting. I freehand painted all the schemes and it was a learning experience but now I figure doing the same kind of thing in 1/48 or larger will be easy after doing it in 1/72. The mottling on the sides is “approximate,” I can’t guarantee 100% fidelity to the real aircraft; it’s difficult to do that from the illustrations in the instructions anyway. The 25+ year old Hasegawa kit still holds up pretty well against the newer Airfix and Eduard kits. However, I’d recommend using aftermarket decals unless you get a very recent issue. The decals in my kit were pretty crap and I only used them because I wanted a Norway based aircraft with the Eismeer insignia on the nose. The Airfix D-9 lacks any sort of cockpit detail, which is why I installed a pilot. Apart from that, I think it captures the shape of the real aircraft very well. There are more modern kits of this version from Hasegawa, Tamiya, HobbyBoss, and AZ Models to choose from if you want more detail. It would be nice if Eduard tackled this version, as they did in 1/48.
  6. That’s a great photo! One of the aircraft certainly looks like it has a pale blue spinner. The others, including WD365 which is the subject of my model, look darker. The instructions with the decal sheet said roundel blue, so that’s what I went with.
  7. Thanks so much! TBH, ‘Black 5’ is my favourite. The camo is all done freehand; it was a lot of fun.
  8. Yep! I (and the Chipmunk) was at Granitecon this past Sunday. The model didn’t place in the contest, but there were a lot of really excellent models in that category. I was just happy I got it finished in time for the show. It certainly was one of the most colourful models in the category.
  9. Here’s my 1/48 Airfix Chipmunk T.10 in University of Liverpool Air Squadron markings. These aircraft were based at RAF Woodvale. This was a fun and easy kit to build. I used the Kits-World 3-D printed instrument panels and seat belts, which were a measurable improvement over what’s supplied in the kit. I’m already planning my next one.
  10. Here’s my just completed model built from the newly released Airfix kit. It’s like the curate’s egg: good, in parts. I fixed the incorrect aft bomb bay fairing with some styrene rod, and I appreciated the mask parts provided for the wheel wells. The cockpit and bomb bay are well detailed for the scale too. But … the kit is let down by the transparencies. The nose cheek windows would be a foot thick in real life and the main canopy framing lacks finesse. I’ve been building a Tamiya B.Mk.IV alongside this one and the clear parts are far superior. Still, it’s a big improvement on the Matchbox kit and I’m mostly happy with the finished model.
  11. Here’s my 1/72 Airfix Blenheim Mk.I finished just last week. The model won 3rd place in its category at the Granitecon show in Manchester, NH this past Sunday. It was a well attended show with over 500 models entered across the various categories.
  12. Here are my four 1/72 Fw 190s finished over the weekend. They are an Eduard A-5, an Airfix A-8, a Hasegawa A-8, and an Airfix D-9. They were all entered in the Granitecon show in Manchester, New Hampshire on Sunday. One of the A-8s won a second place in its category, I’m just not sure which one as they only announced it as an Fw 190A-8 not the make of the kit. I’m pretty sure it was the Hasegawa that placed as the Airfix has some seam issues. Hasegawa on left L-to-R: Hasegawa, Airfix, Eduard Hasegawa and Airfix Eduard Hasegawa Airfix Airfix D-9
  13. The only mainstream IM Cyclone-engined Wildcat/Martlet other than the FM-2, which is quite different, in any scale is the Airfix kit in 1/72. The Cyclone, with the exception of the FM-2, was only used for export variants, so they all eventually went to the Royal Navy. AZ Models also did the Martlet I/G-36 using short run IM molds with some resin parts. Sword and Arma Hobby have done the FM-2 in 1/72, the original Airfix kit was also an FM-2. There are the HobbyBoss and Sword FM-2 kits in 1/48.
  14. Well, there were over 200 Martlet/Wildcat IVs supplied to the Royal Navy. These had the 9 cylinder Wright R-1820 Cyclone with the short chord cowl. Would be nice if Eduard did this version. http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/wildcatfaaba_1.htm
×
×
  • Create New...