Should we be expecting a new Airfix release announcement today?

Rabbit Leader

Wow. These are going to make a lot of people very happy, especially me. When I read Jet Provost T.3 I assumed it would be 1/48th so really dead chuffed it will be 1/72nd. It will look great alongside the Vampire T11 and Gnat. Great news about the Beau and the Coastal Whitley too.

Another small red & white thing...yawn...(quickly hiding the Wiffy Walrus :))

Do really hope they release an alternative 'foreign service' box.

I don't suppose Airfix will but stranger things have happened. There's no reason why somebody like Xtradecal wouldn't provide those options though such as this forthcoming sheet for the Strikemaster (some interesting options in here):

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72238

Edited by Wez

I tend to get rather excited about most Airfix new releases these days, however to me this JP is a master stroke if ever there was one.

It is now hard not to imagine new tools of other famous British trainer aircraft being released and after the success of the Gnat probably in both popular scales.

So it's only time until a Chipmunk, Meteor T.7 and new tooled Tucano will hopefully become plastic realities as well.

Stock up chaps, because sales success = more modelling gems like this.

Cheers... Dave

You forgot the Harvard AND the Hunter T.7 how very remiss Edited by Wez

*cough* Balliol *cough*

Trevor

If we're playing that game *cough* Piston Provost, *cough*Prentice*.... ....we've either got nasty tickly throats or somebody (I'm not saying who), is a bit obsessed :hmmm:

I'll be happy for Airfix to stick with the major training types that had some longevity and would thus give us a range of colour schemes and them potential sales....

• Like 2

You forgot the Harvard AND the Hunter T.7 how very remiss

*cough* Balliol *cough*

Trevor

Fair enough gents... however lets not give the impression to those nice people at Airfix that we are being a tad greedy now!!

A new Tiggie, Gnat, Vampire T.11 and JP 3 is a fair collection of T birds in what would be quite a short space of time - and long may it continue.

Cheers.. Dave.

I think that the Val would make a great addition to the Pearl Harbor theme. However, I thought that about the Kate in the 60s and look how long that took.

My impression is that, outside of a few classic types, there's not a huge market for trainers. It is good to see Airfix venturing there. However, they don't get much more classic than a Harvard.

• Like 1

I really hoped that this time we would see metal wing Hurrincane MkI (this time without wing mishaps) and a new tool Spitfire MkV. All those kits look nice as renders but, unfortunately, the quality of the final product is not so good. I think instead of announcing new models they should find a new tool maker and improve quality control.

I really hoped that this time we would see metal wing Hurrincane MkI (this time without wing mishaps) and a new tool Spitfire MkV. All those kits look nice as renders but, unfortunately, the quality of the final product is not so good. I think instead of announcing new models they should find a new tool maker and improve quality control.

They are finding a new tool maker aren't they? I'm sure I read somewhere that they were looking at a new factory or something which will address the tooling/molding issues. Unfortunately that kind of investment takes a bit more time.

Edited by phantomphan92

My impression is that, outside of a few classic types, there's not a huge market for trainers. It is good to see Airfix venturing there. However, they don't get much more classic than a Harvard.

Indeed. It would be interesting to know the thought process that placed a JP3 (a few hundred built) ahead of a proper Harvard II (manufactured by the thousand, used worldwide, almost unlimited marking options). But I'm not complaining: a JP3 is the only one of Her Majesty's aircraft I've ever sat in.

Maybe Airfix can tell us whether they measured one and whether the kit matches it or has them made more robust for those of us who have trouble removing thin parts from sprues?

Doubtful if it will be any more robust than usual. Likely to another case of seeking out after market versions if they break or are out of scale.

I'm pretty sure they won't. The second part of my sentence was somewhat loaded because the photo actually shows that the real ones are actually pretty chunky. I was just being a little bit sarcastic.

Shane

Edited by Shane

Did I miss the announcement of a new tool McD/D F4 Phantom II [spey engine type] in 1/72?

You missed the 'Please, Please, Please let it be true' chorus because a LIDAR was photographed within 100 feet of one...

...but such is the pain associated with living in a world of Phantom Phreaks. :)

Edited by dpm1did1
  • Like 1

Indeed. It would be interesting to know the thought process that placed a JP3 (a few hundred built) ahead of a proper Harvard II (manufactured by the thousand, used worldwide, almost unlimited marking options). But I'm not complaining: a JP3 is the only one of Her Majesty's aircraft I've ever sat in.

I suggest a concentration on the UK market, an interest in the British aircraft of the 1950s/60s which have been neglected for some time, and replacing the older and poorer examples in their established lines. Yes, the Harvard is also in this last category, and I suspect that it may just be a matter of time before Airfix do turn their attention to it. I only hope that they turn to a version other than a Texan (and specifically other than another T-6G!) This would however reduce the worldwide options/sales, but that doesn't appear to be terribly dominant in their thinking so far.

I'd love a Mk.I, but I think converting a Wirraway is about the only chance of that.

Two tone gray at least - and 79 Squadron..... :-)

Silver with dayglo blocks and silver with dayglo stripes, overall red, red/white/grey/blue, add the CFS stripe and you have a conrucopia of schemes

And a tasty scheme or three in retirement too...........

Get a lod of this!!!:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/futurereleases/

AT LOOOOOOOONG LAAASSSST!!!!!!! A decent Jet Provost T3/T3A and from our most favourite kit manufacturere!!1

At least a dozen for me!!

drat... I just noticed the other post.... Oh well got very excited by this...

Just noticed the flightpath 1/48 bomb trolleys on the hannants page link above, just fine to go with a 1/48 Blenheim?

Selwyn

It seems that Airfix are releasing a new trainer about every other year: others may wish to be more precise. So there's hope for those waiting for Harvard, Chipmunk, 2 seat Hunter etc. Most/all were operated by to several users, hence a variety of finishes etc, to the delight of Xtradecal.

A trainer every other year: when did we last have a 1/72 Spitfire? I thought they were going to cover every variant....

• Like 2