Do you have a modelling niche?

Filler

As things wind down at work for Christmas, I was just wondering if having a modelling niche was very common. I know there have been a few discussions about preferences for a particular scale and there are plenty of SIGs out there that obviously have a specific focus, but do many of us have any very specific interests we won't deviate from?

I am totally fixed on 1/48 scale aircraft subjects that would have been seen in western Europe during the period 1985 to 1989. Thankfully it provides a lot of subject choices, but it can provide some frustration when trying to ensure decals are true to that window in time. I suppose it's in my genes as my dad is into model railways and only has an interest in the GWR in Cornwall and Devon in 1956/57 (I think).

• Like 3

No niches I am afraid. Fifty years ago my interest was WW2 aircraft, ships and military vehicles. Since returning to modelling in 2004 after a 25 year gap and now in my mid-Sixties, I turn my hand at any subject that takes my interest. Quite often my choice of subject is due to being inspired by other people's builds that I see on various modelling forums.

Dave

• Like 2

No niches here either. i get bored doing the same thing over and over, so I build all genres though I do try to build in the prominent scales. This probably makes me a Jack of all trades and Master of none.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

Need I say?

:laugh:

I have this obsession about 1940, at 1/72nd (mostly). It began with a project on the Battle of Britain for a CSE History project in the 1970s.

You did spring to mind 😃

I imagine that your choice of subjects is actually a fair bit more narrow than mine. I roughly have anything in service between '85 and '89 from any air arm of 15 European nations and the US and Canada that's available in 48th scale. That's a lot of types with a lot of flags at a time of transition from hi to lo viz. Thinking about it, it's a huge niche!

• Haha 1

Aircraft, WW2, 1/32 scale, not particularly interested in Luftwaffe though, I think that my stash has everything that I am interested in so there are few opportunities to buy new kits.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

I suppose that I have tunnel vision when it comes to model building, as I stick to just the one type of model, and that's AFV's. But it can then be split down a bit more into British/Commonwealth and IDF, up to about 1980. It will come as no surprise to some of you, my favourite tank is the Sherman, but that isn't to say that my choice is limited. Between the very first one, an M4A1 named "Michael", and the last, the Chilean M60, there are many different versions. Certainly enough to keep me going until the Grim Reaper comes calling.

John.

• Like 1

I'm very definitely a niche builder - civil airliners in 1/144. I generally stick to European and UK airlines but I have been known to tackle subjects from elsewhere including North Korea.

At shows I'm often asked "Why airliners?" to which I usually reply "Because they're peaceful. They take you to Canada to meet your new granddaughter, they take you on holiday, they help make the wheels of commerce go round and they aren't designed to kill people".

Dave G

• Like 5

I'm strictly 1/72 WWII aircraft. The impossible dream is a collection of every type (would need to have started 100 years ago). 

Why? Mainly because of the variety of that period (biplanes to jets), the myriad colour schemes and the practical issue of availability (and cost). I include anything that was in service in that period, including impressed civilian types. Although it may seem pretty mainstream, I do tend to pick up rarer types when I see them - currently working on Valom's DH 95  Flamingo which I suspect doesn't appear in many WWII collections.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

Do you have a WIP thread I’ve missed?

No sorry - I don't do WIP - I have trouble enough with paint and glue without adding cameras to the mix

But FYI, the kit itself is pretty straight forward for a Valom, but no cabin furnishing whatsoever (I've added curtains to my windows as a preference to scratch building with very little in the way of pics). However, the landing gear is a bit of a pig!!

Cheers

Colin

10 minutes ago, ckw said:

the kit itself is pretty straight forward for a Valom

Thanks Colin. I’ve a few Valoms notched up on the bench, so I don’t expect a problem building it. Thanks for the heads-up on lack of internals, though. :like:

No niche here .... I have a 1/48th scale plane and a 1/16 scale jeep on the go at the moment.

That said, I have a growing number of Tiger tanks ..... 😬

Keith 😁 

Does 1/72 scale aircraft count as a niche? 🤫 Or 1/72 military vehicles (and artillery pieces)?

It would be easier to list the sub-genres that don't pique my interest, like the current generation of combat aircraft (seen one F-35, seen 'em all, or something like that). The previous generation is also less of a pull than it was. There was a time when I bought "modern" jets just because I could, but I've gone off them. I'm now very picky about these: I don't have any F-14s or F-15s left in the stash, but I do have F-16s and F/A-18s. I have quite a few Tornados as well, not to mention Hawks, Harriers, F-4s, F-5s and A-4s.

I was never overly keen on WW I subjects, but that has not stopped me from continuing to add them to my collection.

I have a certain affinity for flying boats, and also sea planes. But they still only constitute a relatively small part of my collection, both built and stashed.

Trainers (basic and advanced) seem to account for a bigger proportion of my collection than they used to.

Having had to retire from active building, I guess my "niche" now is Britmodeller. When I did build, I suspect I was a bit of a butterfly modeller. Different things attracted me at differing times in my life. When I started many years ago, it was a case of what I could afford and from that group, which box top/header card dazzled me at that point. I have a lifelong passion for Bomber Command, but was never skilled enough to turn that passion into the model I had in my head. I knew what I wanted, but the skills weren't there to effect it. I've dabbled in Historex figures, Cars, Trucks, AFVs, and even at one point 15mm Buildings for Wargames. Ships fascinate me and my past is littered with failed attempts at building one. I even sat and built dozens of card buildings for a mates OO/HO layout.

I guess it's what makes YOU happy. If endless ranks of P51s get your blood thumping, then go for it! It's the "rainbow" nature of modelling/modellers that attracts me. Long may your efforts keep entertaining, inspiring and teaching us.

Regards

Pete

• Like 2

I build anything aircraft wise from the 1930’s through to modern military jets. I tend to focus on USN/USMC types from the 40’s through 70’s. That and a few specific pilots and the aircraft they flew. I will build the odd piece of armor, Sci-fi, or ship to get a change of pace. As for scales Im mostly 1/72 aircraft with the odd 1/48 thrown in when I cant find a kit or I find a good deal. Armor is 1/35 and so far ships are 1/700. Though Id like to upgrade that to 1/350 as my big sausage fingers do not work well with the tiny parts.
       For most of my modeling career I was strictly 1/48 aircraft but after my mid life hiatus Found they had become to expensive and storage was an issue. Sadly after converting to 1/72 I have found that I can build more models faster. So storage is still very much an issue. There are a few in 1/24 or 1/32 Id like to build someday but Id need to come into some $ and have a much bigger house for that to happen. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Not niche as such, but I do tend to get mildly obsessive about whatever I'm working on, which usually leads to a much larger collection of related kits; panzer grey German vehicles, for instance. Or 120mm Red Army figures. Or Shermans. I'm dreading where starting my one and only Japanese tank will lead... 🤣

Quirky scratch built diorama's that I mostly give to other people as my cabinets are full is now my thing.  I try to relate them to something they are interested in. e.g. this one for our niece who is a keen surfer.

BU8Cq63l.jpg

• Like 7