Jump to content


Gold Member
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About davecov

  • Birthday 12/30/1958

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  • ICQ

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Stow, Scottish Borders
  • Interests
    Travel, Photography, Modelling, Painting, Reading.

Recent Profile Visitors

3,773 profile views

davecov's Achievements

Obsessed Member

Obsessed Member (4/9)



  1. Clicking on the posts number under your avatar next to one of your posts will show your posts. But there are other ways: If using a PC, click on your profile image at the top of the page or by one of your posts (or username), click on "See my activity" button on right, next screen there will be a "posts" link on the left hand side. If using a mobile or tablet, in the browser click on your profile image at the top of the page and your posts will then be displayed at the bottom of the next screen. Alternatively, click on the magnifying glass on the search box at the top of the page, next page click on "Search By Author" link on the "Content Search" tab. Enter your name in "Search By Author" and press "Search Content" button. Dave
  2. As Steve says, you can use the front part of the nacelles from the Special Hobby/Airfix on the Jetstream. BTW, in 2006 I built a couple of "what-ifs" but of more interest for this thread is the page from an August 1972 issue of Airfix Magazine showing the mods you have to make to the Airfix Jetstream engines. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the article right now but hopefully this will be of help: Dave
  3. It could be that more gunk is thrown up from passing vehicles on that side meaning that wiper has to deal with more grit. Dave
  4. This set brings back memories as In 2010, prior to the release of the 1/1200 Sink The Bismarck Set, I was consulted by Airfix about the Humbrol paint colours to include in a Gift Set version. I gave them a list of paints but Airfix decided there were too many colours! To reduce numbers they wanted to leave out two pretty fundamental colours but I argued that it would not be right to exclude them (one of them was the wooden deck colour). The arguments went back and forth but I refused to back down. In the end they opted not to issue a gift set! Dave
  5. Thanks, @Vinnie. From nose to tail, there are a total of nine sections to the design with additional sections for the bomb doors. There were also "chalk outlined" sections as 44-40973 flew with an incomplete design for a while. The original decal sheet is below: I found it better to apply the decals starting with decal 4 for the window at the rear of the fuselage and going backward and forward from it. Going any other way would have magnified any misalignment and make it more difficult to go around the windows: Dave
  6. He probably etches the Bible onto the heads of pins in his spare time. Dave
  7. Thanks everybody. @bigbadbadge Chris, that could well be the case but where do "nose" art limits end as this could be called "fuselage" art! It's just as well that there wasn't another Liberator behind it when it was being done otherwise that could have become an extension! Dave
  8. Stunning build, especially at such a small size. Dave
  9. My build of the Airfix 1/72 Consolidated B-24J Liberator (05006-3) "The Dragon and His Tail" decals for B24J Liberator 44-40973, 64th Bomb Squadron, 43rd Bomb Group, August 1945 came from Xtradecal Set X72082. It was built for the ATF 15th Anniversary GB. Not my finest ever build but an enjoyable one nevertheless as it was more of an exercise in nostalgia than hyper-modelling. Apart from some added detail in the wheel wells and aftermarket decals it was an OOB build. BTW, the wings, cowlings, tailplanes, front and rear turrets are not fixed in place as the plane is going into storage, probably never to be seen again! Dave
  10. A great subject for a thread, Tony. I have nicked the idea for the ATF! The majority of my "top ten" show that I have enough of a problem storing them, let alone building them: 1. Revell 1/142 North Sea Trawler (05204) 2. Airfix 1/72 Bristol Beaufighter T.F.X. (02003-5) 3. Airfix 1/24 James Bond Aston Martin DB5 (823) 4. Heller 1/8 Citroën 15 Six Traction Avant (80799) 5. Heller 1/100 HMS Victory (80897) 6. HobbyBoss 1/72 German 80cm K(E) Railway Gun 'Dora' (82911) 7. Italeri 1/35 Schnellboot Type S-38 (5620) 8. Revell 1/200 Offshore Oil Rig North Cormorant (08803) 9. Revell 1/144 Fletcher Class Destroyer (Platinum Edition) (05150) 10. Tamiya 1/72 Vosper Fast Patrol Boat Perkasa (PT7201) The top two may seem to be a bit surprising but the Beaufighter is the longest serving kit in my stash, given as a present at Telford in 2009 and I promised to make it as a twin-tail job - one day.... The North Sea Trawler at number one was supposed to be made shortly for my elderly neighbour (ex Merchant Navy) for whom I had made the Revell Harbour Tug in the past. Sadly, during my holiday up at the Moray Firth last week I learnt that he had passed away at the age of 84. Dave
  11. This thread may help as on the first page is a picture from Airfix Magazine showing the walkways as dots on the fuselage: Dave
  12. The KAI KF-21 is twin-engined. Russian Tarpaulin-Jet is single-engined. Dave
  13. Very nice build and the case is a great setting for it. Dave
  14. I think the Armstrong Whitworth turrets on the HSLs were the same as used on Avro Ansons, Oxfords and early Whitleys. If so, perhaps you could source a pair of those either from others who may not have used them or by the aftermarket route (if possible). Dave
  15. I acquired two Bond Bugs last year so I guess that is another certainty to be re-released by Airfix in due course. Dave
  • Create New...