Airfix 1/72 Messerschmitt Me.410 Hornisse - Surprise release! - New tool

alt-92

A good choice by Airfix which I reckon will sell really well. Not my bag,  unfortunately, but I'm glad it's in 1/72 as they seem to have been releasing less and less in that scale theee days.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Nice surprise announcement - been wanting one of these for a while, 1/48 preferred but will take one in 1/72. Really do like these surprise announcements from Airfix - so sneaky and under the radar, absolutely no prior info being leaked out whatsoever, it's brilliant!

I believe the 1/48 Meng kit is well regarded if you are so inclined. Personally I'm happy to see anything in 1/72 these days considering our 48th cousins' dominance right now.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Not my bag,  unfortunately, but I'm glad it's in 1/72 as they seem to have been releasing less and less in that scale theee days.

To be honest, it's not an aircraft that I'm particularly excited about, but it's a new 1/72 kit from Airfix, so I will get one. It will look nice on a Luftwaffe vs 8th Air Force shelf, next to a 1/72 B-17G, and other adversaries like Mustangs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon 

I hope that Airfix will announce moere new kits in 1/72 Scale as for exemple a Spit Mk XIV or an early model of the P47D Thunderbolt .....

Best regards 

Patrice 

Both would be nice! It's pretty much inevitable that airfix will surely tool another 1/72 Spitfire sooner or later, a decent earlier Griffon powered fighter would be nice. They've already done the research on the XIV for the 1/48 kit

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I hope that Airfix will announce moere new kits in 1/72 Scale as for exemple a Spit Mk XIV or an early model of the P47D Thunderbolt .....

Amen to that!

By the way, does Me 410 have the same kind of visible seam on the fuselage, like Bf 109 does? What about Bf 110, I have a couple of Eduard kits in the stash.

Looks like on of my possible builds for next year's Frog Squad GB may now not occur. I'm just starting on a 1944/45 Luftwaffe intruders build of types seem over East Anglia in thaperiod and a Me410,is certainly on that list so this fits the bill.

As to Airfix'snew policy of announcing kits when they are ready for sale is good in my view and takes me back to the 1960's when the first news would be the announcement in Airfix Magazine.

• Like 3

I think Airfix deserve a round of applause for this one.  The inevitable wrong scale moaning aside (its not 1/200;1/444; 1/48; 1/32; 1/24 so get over it :shrug::D)  its a great call by Airfix and whats to like about this and how they have done it?

1  2 versions OOB

2  Good subject choice in 1/72 where there appears to be a gap for a good 410 in that scale

3  No leaks in advance so a nice surprise and reminiscent of the Friday Woolworths visit when 1 and sometime 2 new kits hit the shelf. 

So from a non 1/72 builder these days (crap eyes and fingers) well done Airfix and keep them coming in exactly the same way.  Getting caught with a surprise is really quite nice dont you think.

And now that I have your attention Airfix how about a nice 1/24 Hunter - No?  Oh well

• Like 11

A good choice.  I always thought the Me 410 has a slightly futuristic look to it, and as I live six miles from a real one this is certainly something I'll be buying.  I wonder how it compares with the Fine Molds tooling, which I think is good, but hard to obtain in the UK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andyh59 said:

Wrong scale 😠!!!!!!!!

This kind of pointless negativity gets us nowhere, and we'd all appreciate it if you'd keep that sort of comment to yourself going forward, and maybe look for a Meng kit if your preferred scale is 1:48.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 13

Not really my thing at all, but absolutely thrilled that Airfix have chosen to surprise the modelling world again with another unannounced new item. That's twice this year... Brilliant. And on top of the razzmatazz of their Sea King launch event a few months ago, have chosen the launch this time to coincide with Scale Model World at Telford. I know a few will be cynical and bang-on about commercial motives but to me it demonstrates a very strong commitment to the hobby from this company.

I know absolutely nothing of the subject but agree it looks both beautiful and sinister. I really hope the kit receives a thumbs-up from Luftwaffe experten out there, as such a project deserves to be supported; and with that stunning artwork even I might be tempted to venture into the dark side...  😮

Anyway good job Airfix! 

Rich

• Like 4

I would have preferred the announcement to have been made at SMW, with the banner being unfurled, and perhaps a confetti gun to shower confetti over everyone to celebrate B).

a Facebook page just doesn’t have the razzmatazz!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

For some reason I've thought about a potential new Me.410 for a while, it was one of those subjects that I felt Airfix could have done and here it is !

I'm looking forward to seeing if the kit parts allow the conversion to the A-3 recce variant (the one I'd really like to build) but even if not this is a kit I'd be happy to buy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yes_Man said:

I believe the 1/48 Meng kit is well regarded if you are so inclined. Personally I'm happy to see anything in 1/72 these days considering our 48th cousins' dominance right now.

I have been hankering after one for a while, but at just pennies under £60, i have to seriously think about the cost due to not working! Let's see what the good folks at SMW have to offer or what the big fella in a red suit brings at the end of the year (big hints to SWMBO this weekend I think ...)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, John Tapsell said:

But how often do you get a new kit announcement and then find that the traqders already have it?
It will be on sale at Scale ModelWorld tomorrow. Traders already have stock.

Seen a short interview with Dale, and this was very well coordinated.

Apparently the same goes for the Ferret, there's a real one on show and they've informed stockists of that too in order to ensure good supply.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I would have preferred the announcement to have been made at SMW, with the banner being unfurled, and perhaps a confetti gun to shower confetti over everyone to celebrate

But at least its available to buy at SMW a few hours later; no waiting for months following the announcement...😛 traders at the show hopefully get lots of additional sales and nobody gets to rain on the parade before the big day as happened with the Vulcan 🤨. Who knows perhaps they still have something else to announce? May still get that confetti...😀  

But how on earth did they keep this under wraps?!  

Hopefully lots of happy people at Telford.

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, TheKinksFan said:

I like this kind of announcements without any hype.

Indeed. We're also spared the extended 'what will it be? My money's on a Blackburn Blackburn etc' Rumourmonger thread.  😄

• Like 4

Fantastic news! The main problem of the Fine Molds kit isn't so much the size of the engines but that they were placed perpendicular to the ground, while they should be slanted inwards (don't know if I have explained this correctly in English but I hope you get what I mean). A mistake which was almost impossible to correct. Airfix seems to have gotten this right.

Also they managed to avoid their usual "trench" panel lines here. Very excited! Looks like we've got the first correct Me 410 in 1/72, yay :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1