1:72 Fujimi BAe Sea Harrier FRS.1

3 hours ago, giemme said:

Not sure it helps, but that anticollision light is off centre on the gr9 I'm currently building too, and there's plenty of reference pics to show that. So I'd say you're safeto go placing it like that.

That's good, because I already put it there!   :)

I think it's the correct spot anyway - I checked my new tool Airfix kits of the GR.1 and GR.3 and they're offset as well. I can't imagine that the FRS.1 would be different. 

3 hours ago, Selwyn said:

If they were white they were AIM 9G.( pre Falklands)

Everything 9L in the RAF/RN from day one in the was grey, never in all my time have I seen a white 9L. The live sidewinders were US FS Gull Grey IIRC and the Practice missiles originally this colour as well, but Practice stuff gets bashed and marked during training,both in the air and for ground loading so they were repainted often, and as the UK does not use FS colours the repaint scheme was in the closest BS381c equivalent which was Light Aircraft Grey. If a live missile got a scratch we usually touched up with LAG making some live rounds look a little patchy.

Thanks, Selwyn. I am doing a pre-Falklands bird with AIM-9G Winders, so white it shall be! Did I ever tell you guys that I hate painting white?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

The strangest thing just happened...

I was adding ordnance to my Shar, with the 1,000 lb. baby on the centre pylon and the 'winders on the wing pylons:

IMG_1029

IMG_1026

And then I rolled her over and added a nose pitot probe, yaw vane, windshield wiper, rear view mirror, and canopy:

IMG_1030

IMG_1033

And then it happened - I ran out of parts! I started ordering some more aftermarket stuff but then I thought, uh, wait - maybe it's just finished! Wouldn't that be a hoot. Therefore I am officially declaring this WIP over. Proper RFI shall follow at some convenient time in the future. Like maybe tomorrow.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. And no, I have absolutely no idea what to build next. On April Fool's Day, I'll start my F-111B for the Group Build. (There is no correlation between the start date and the subject matter. It's simply a coincidence.) What I'll do until then is a right proper guessing game. 

• Like 31

She's just beautiful :clap:  :worthy:  And, as it was easily predictable, you beat me on time - I've just completed the decals task on my Harrier :shrug: 

Looking forward to the RFI

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks mates!

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

Gorgeous, hope you're going photograph it with the Bucc in the dark scheme too?

cheers

For you - anything!    :)  :)  :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Beautiful Sea Harrier, Bill! So you know you've finished when you run out of parts? I'll have to remember that if I ever finish a model. Or, perhaps I could just 'accidentally' misplace the fiddly bits that always seem to keep me from finishing a model. Like the seat belts, for example (I have this block about adding the seat belts).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

RFI on hold for another day - emergency windscreen repair on the wife's mini-autobus today. Amazing how those things can crack just sitting in the carpark. Must be some thermal thing...

More auto nonsense tomorrow morning, as I've been told that one must replace the oil every few years or so. I've made a morning appointment accordingly. And, I have a coupon! 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Regards the F-111B, do you have the Tommy Thomason book, and that Australian resin conversion kit?

Also FWIW Scott A. Bregi built one a few years back and he may be of some help too.

david

7 hours ago, Learstang said:

Beautiful Sea Harrier, Bill! So you know you've finished when you run out of parts? I'll have to remember that if I ever finish a model. Or, perhaps I could just 'accidentally' misplace the fiddly bits that always seem to keep me from finishing a model. Like the seat belts, for example (I have this block about adding the seat belts).

Regards,

Jason

Or the fiddly bits like the wings 😂

• Like 2

No, no, no, Neil! Not the wings! I usually finish the wings. It's those blasted fuselages which always get me with their cockpits (and seatbelts) and canopies and such. Why I have a beautiful set of completed Lancaster wings, for example, some with the engine nacelles even attached. A collection which is widely known for yards around.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

On 1/31/2017 at 22:13, David H said:

Regards the F-111B, do you have the Tommy Thomason book, and that Australian resin conversion kit?

Also FWIW Scott A. Bregi built one a few years back and he may be of some help too.

Hi David - yes, I have Tommy's F-111B book (Naval Fighters 41 if anyone is interested, and worth every penny) as well as the errata and amendments that Tommy sent me. I'm going to use Hasegawa's F-111C/G kit which includes parts to make either of those versions (the Australian F-111G is basically an FB-111A). 

I managed to find the conversion set from Pete's Hangar right here from a fellow Britmodeller. It's not available any more (Pete passed away) and it's getting difficult to find. One of the guys in my club is going to make a mould so I can make resin copies of the radome. According to Tommy, Pete's radome is not quite the right shape, but with some good drawings and some sandpaper/putty I should be able to get something that passes muster. I've also got the ancient Revell F-111 kit that includes the USN radome. Unfortunately, it's not right either. 

On 2/1/2017 at 01:11, Learstang said:

No, no, no, Neil! Not the wings! I usually finish the wings. It's those blasted fuselages which always get me with their cockpits (and seatbelts) and canopies and such. Why I have a beautiful set of completed Lancaster wings, for example, some with the engine nacelles even attached. A collection which is widely known for yards around.

Perhaps you could put the sprues, with parts attached, on a nice wall-mounted display and dispense with the assembly all together? People might come from metres around...   :) 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2