Most beautiful fighter ever built?

72modeler

7 minutes ago, Wez said:

Vanessa Paradise, Sophie Morceau :wub: and you have to lower the tone!

Ehhh - not for her. The only obvious lack of (singing) talent coming close to "Joe le Taxi" is by Stéphanie - Ouragan (no, no contender in this thread)/Irresistible. In my very humble opinion. 

For me and in no particular order, apart from the Hunter F1 being first, the Spitfire XVI being second, the Mirage 2000 third and the Mirage III fourth 🙂 

20 hours ago, Karearea said:
23 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

In fact I was wondering why anyone even start such a discussion when there is clearly only one correct answer and it’s been known for decades.

I’ve heard rumours of other opinions but I can’t help it if some folks are determined to be wrong.

An aircraft so beautiful they named it ‘Turkey’ !

G'day, I thought it was 'Aardvark'. 😁       Regards, Jeff.

I am quite shocked actually that no one mentioned the Mirage 2000 yet!

The BEST lines and curves ever!!

If you are picky, choose one without refueling probe 😉

Considering this all started with a Spitfire V Hawker Hunter question, I think we have all gotten a bit carried away and I include myself in the mix so if we stay on point, its one or the other was the original question so I’m plumping for the Spitfire all day long!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/20/2024 at 5:36 AM, 72modeler said:

....my personal opinion is that the Hunter is arguably the most beautiful jet fighter ever built, but that the Spitfire, depending upon the version, has to be considered as the  most beautiful fighter of all time. What say you?

53 minutes ago, Jedi Delio said:

Considering this all started with a Spitfire V Hawker Hunter question, I think we have all gotten a bit carried away and I include myself in the mix so if we stay on point, its one or the other was the original question so I’m plumping for the Spitfire all day long!

was it a Hunter vs Spitfire question really? wasn't it a statement that Spitfire was the most beautiful fighter of all time? 

I simply have a different opinion! It is the Mirage 2000!;)

but if it was about the most beautiful BRITISH fighter of all time, i could possibly agree :devil: 

nevermind .... :)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, exdraken said:

I am quite shocked actually that no one mentioned the Mirage 2000 yet!

The BEST lines and curves ever!!

If you are picky, choose one without refueling probe 😉

Mirages are difficult to choose from. I think the early III with the kinked tail fin just does it for me, but they’re all supermodels through to the Rafale. I do like the way the wings flow into the fuselage on the 2000. Only the V misses some of that je ne sais quoi in my view.

The only misstep Dassault made was the Etendard, and the later ones with the radome aren’t terrible. Their bizjets are hands down the prettiest too.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2024 at 6:30 AM, Wez said:

You're both confusing beauty with handsomeness, the F-14 is a good looking jet and indeed handsome, but beautiful it isn't, too many jutty out awkward angles and well, triangles.  It's functional but not beautiful.

The human face randomly has a triangle poking out the front of it, so perhaps all those "swooning" over the beauty of the Mona Lisa & other human faces are wrong? It still has to be the F-14, obvs.

In second place, it has to be Concorde.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

By Biplane, Piston & Jet categories, the Spanish or Yugoslav Hawker Fury, DH Hornet & Mirage F.1, though I was stuck between the F.1 & the F-11 tiger. It was linking the F.1 to Sophie Marceau what tipped it. :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Althoughthis is a very subjective subject my vote would go to the Supermarine Spitfire  SWIFT. It might also be the only aircraft nominated that had.a leading role  in a Feature Film as the Prometheus in the movie Sound Barrier.

28 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Although this is a very subjective subject my vote would go to the Supermarine Spitfire  SWIFT.

Yep, it's subjective alright!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Althoughthis is a very subjective subject my vote would go to the Supermarine Spitfire  SWIFT.

Yes it's definitely subjective.  For me I'd liken the Swift to a Hunter that had overdone the steroids then had a few too many unsuccessful nips and tucks to regain its faded glory.

When you compare the Supermarine jets to the Spitfire they're just over bloated in comparison (Attacker/Swift/Scimitar = fat/fatter/fattest).  I once had the privilege of having a good look over a Hunter and a Swift alongside each other at Bournemouth, the Hunter seemed to be the smallest airframe wrapped around its engine whereas the Swift seemed to be wearing an inflatable suit around its engine.  On the Hunter an access panel led to the item you needed to access, on the Swift the external access panel led you to another access panel.

That said, I'm considering making a Swift for the NATO GB...

• Like 1

I always thought that whilst the swift was good looking the fin/vert stabilser was not quite right.

I remember when I was at college I built a wind tunnel and I sought the help of a local University lecturer.He said that whilst there are alsorts of mathematics involved ultimately if the shape of the divergent convergent duct looks right it probably is.

So my vote is the Hunter,spitfire and possibly Sea Fury.

As an aside the Mirage F1 although angular I think is up there too.

3 hours ago, junglierating said:

I always thought that whilst the swift was good looking the fin/vert stabilser was not quite right.

You're right about that, likewise all of the other things they did to get the thing to fly right such as the dog-tooth leading edge  (I'm aware the Hunter likewise has a dog tooth leading edge), as well as the root extensions, it almost seems as though the Superrmarine designers were in an aerodynamics pick'n'mix and wanted a bit of everything, the result to my mind is that everything looks like an afterthought.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hairystick said:

In second place, it has to be Concorde.

:rofl2: Thanks for the belly laugh, up to now I didn't believe there were people who didn't think Concorde was the most beautiful aircraft ever built. 

But to place second after the ever so butch Tomcat was a level of hilarity I hadn't expected 🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Wez said:

Yes it's definitely subjective

This is my defence, m'lud 😂

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Jedi Delio said:

Considering this all started with a Spitfire V Hawker Hunter question

Given the thread title, it was more general than that imho 🤔

• Like 1

This has gotten way off course! All I wanted feedback on was which of the two RAF classic fighters, the Spitfire or the Hunter, was the most beautiful;, in your opinion. I didn't mean to open the topic up to which fighter of any nation or type was the prettiest. Julien- can you remove this post for me? Thanks!

Mike

Interesting, thought I; only one mention of a Japanese plane, the Ki-61, which funnily enough I agree wth; one mention of Italian  planes where I can see why they were mentioned, but not one German fighter?I

No-one loves the Me 262?

• Like 3

As the Spitfire has mentioned so often, I'd also like to mention the Langnasen-Dora, to throw in some German plane as well 

To me, I'd care more about the Nose-Art for that matter... 🤗

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

This has gotten way off course! All I wanted feedback on was which of the two RAF classic fighters, the Spitfire or the Hunter, was the most beautiful;, in your opinion. I didn't mean to open the topic up to which fighter of any nation or type was the prettiest. Julien- can you remove this post for me? Thanks!

Mike

Why would you want to do that....granted its morphed in to something else but its good humoured on line conversation which cant be a bad thing?

Hunter btw if we are talking about your original post 😃

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Interesting, thought I; only one mention of a Japanese plane, the Ki-61, which funnily enough I agree wth; one mention of Italian  planes where I can see why they were mentioned, but not one German fighter?I

No-one loves the Me 262?

I thought long and hard about the 262 - but are German aircraft beautiful in the same way as a Hunter or a Spitfire? Some are stunners, certainly, but its a different aesthetic. 262 is the nearest to beautiful, but still something else. Too many triangles maybe?

• Like 4