Roden 1/144 British Airways Vickers Super VC10 with 26Decals

Hi all.

Here is my latest completed model.

Roden 1/144 Vickers Super VC10 with my own decals.

Painted using Holts rattle cans - Appliance white, Dark Blue HNAV09, Red HRE20 and light grey HGREY01.

Cheers

Ray

British_Airways_Super_VC10.jpg

British_Airways_Super_VC10a.jpg

British_Airways_Super_VC10b.jpg

British_Airways_Super_VC10c.jpg

British_Airways_Super_VC10d.jpg

British_Airways_Super_VC10e.jpg

• Like 65
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful. I'm so impressed with the finish you have achieved using rattle cans, truly outstanding. I was lucky enough to work on these icons for many years in the RAF (hence my avatar).

Pete

Superb model Ray. It's impossible not to be impressed by a Super VC-10!

In the 1960s my aunt and uncle lived in Uxbridge and when we made the every-other-year trip down from Scotland a full day's spotting on top of the Queen's Building was de rigeur. Seeing VC-10s in the flesh was wonderful but my strongest memory is the racket they made when taking off. In these days of high-bypass fans that sort of noise level is unthinkable but for a plane-mad teenager in the sixties it was part of the glamour and excitement.

Thanks for the colour matches.

Dave G

• Like 4

Thank you all for your kind comments, I enjoyed building the Roden kit.

The Negus livery is my favourite of the BA liveries but I do also have a soft spot for the Utopia/World liveries :)

• Like 3

On 2/2/2024 at 1:34 AM, 26Decals said:

Hi all.

Here is my latest completed model.

Roden 1/144 Vickers Super VC10 with my own decals.

Painted using Holts rattle cans - Appliance white, Dark Blue HNAV09, Red HRE20 and light grey HGREY01.

Cheers

Ray

British_Airways_Super_VC10.jpg

British_Airways_Super_VC10a.jpg

British_Airways_Super_VC10b.jpg

British_Airways_Super_VC10c.jpg

British_Airways_Super_VC10d.jpg

British_Airways_Super_VC10e.jpg

Beautiful work, Ray!

<extends secret Roden VC10 handshake>

A kit that would definitely benefit from some resin aftermarket wheels. And landing gear struts. Ask me how i know this!!

Edited by David H

The VC10 was one hell of an aeroplane and that's one hell of a result Ray.

I'm another with fond memories of the type like Dave.  I was amazed when I saw the type performing a noise abatement take off at Ringway for the first time. 

Chris.

Beautiful model! I used to live under the Heathrow flightpath and well remember the VC10's distinctive 'crackle' of the 4 Conways as they flew overhead and disappeared into the distance. You could hear them long after they had passed out of sight. (That, and the fact that every other aircraft seemed to be a 'boring' Trident. Oh how I'd like to see a Trident in the air now!)

Cheers

John

Beautiful model. I got to see a VC-10 take off at Altus AFB Oklahoma back in the mid 70s. I too recall the very loud takeoff roar. Our water injection boosted KC-135As couldn't compare.  🙂

On 2/2/2024 at 9:38 AM, JagRigger said:

I remember her at Abingdon

I visited there as an air cadet flying the Chippy and remember seeing them all scattered across the airfield. What a beautiful but sad sight, I'd love to go back in time to see them again!

Superb build Ray :)

Thank you all for the nice comments :)

I think the trick to using rattle cans is to be patient and not try and cover all in one go as tempting as it is and I also use an old hairdryer between coats to speed things up a bit (not my hairdryer though)......

Cheers

Ray