Pure nostalgia - Airfix 1/24 Me-109E

Nice build, Tom 👍

That particular boxing is from 1976-82 when there was a change of decals. The original release was in 1971 and had this artwork:

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 5

I remember having this when it was first issued, so quite a while ago, and I think the decals were the same in both this and the later one you have. The decals were changed in a later re-issue which then included a JG53 machine with the red band around the nose instead of the 'Pik As' (Ace of Spades) emblem.

I chose the Helmut Wick scheme as it looked sexier and it gave me my first stab at trying to do some mottling with a cut down brush to do the stippling effect.

Great job and thanks for the memories!

Pat.

• Like 1

Nice work. I built one for a plumber friend a couple years back and enjoyed it. I found that the engine cowl would not sit right over the upper nose guns and so they had to be removed. In any event any other detail work was nott needed as the model wad to be suspended to be in combAt with the Spitfire I also built for him . Of the two, the 109 was the better kit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TonyW said:

Very nice indeed. The wheel well detailing makes a huge difference.

Thanks, Tony. The bays looked, shall we say, a little bereft of detail as they come!

14 hours ago, davecov said:

Nice build, Tom 👍

That particular boxing is from 1976-82 when there was a change of decals. The original release was in 1971 and had this artwork:

spacer.png

Dave

Ah - thanks for the clarification, Dave. Even my later issue was likely produced before I was born!

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Another impressive build, Tom. I was just looking at a 1/32nd Matchbox 109 on the bay. But, Who has the time?

I say just build it and enjoy - sometimes oldies like these are great mojo-restorers. 

13 hours ago, Whofan said:

A cracking build again Tom, looking at the size of your last few builds I reckon you could fill an SMW hall on your own!!

Ha! To be fair I’m in need of a hangar right now as for some reason I am running out if room in my loft!!!

7 hours ago, PatG said:

I remember having this when it was first issued, so quite a while ago, and I think the decals were the same in both this and the later one you have. The decals were changed in a later re-issue which then included a JG53 machine with the red band around the nose instead of the 'Pik As' (Ace of Spades) emblem.

I chose the Helmut Wick scheme as it looked sexier and it gave me my first stab at trying to do some mottling with a cut down brush to do the stippling effect.

Great job and thanks for the memories!

Pat.

Cut down paint brush for stippling. Timeless!! 

3 hours ago, bertielissie said:

Love the Von Werra scheme. I found building this vintage ME much easier than the 1/24 Spitfire which was around this time

Agreed - the Spit certainly is a trickier build. The later 109 is certainly an improvement from my experience too. 

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

What a great nostalgia build Tom. I'm tempted by the Stuka re-release having built one as a young teenager!

Cheers, Neil - I recently built the Stuka and it’s a superb kit even by more modern standards. And big!!

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Nice work. I built one for a plumber friend a couple years back and enjoyed it. I found that the engine cowl would not sit right over the upper nose guns and so they had to be removed. In any event any other detail work was nott needed as the model wad to be suspended to be in combAt with the Spitfire I also built for him . Of the two, the 109 was the better kit.

Love this - you simply can’t beat a dog fight re-enactment on the ceiling!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome build! I love it and in my favourite 65/70/02 scheme too. I feel that the old Airfix "Superkits" get some disparaging comments in some quarters, but your build shows that they can still shine straight out of the box after 50 years. You had my favourite boxing too. These were the boxings of these kits which I lusted after as a kid in the late 70s. Never could afford them then, which probably explains why I have a stash of them now.

I think you read my mind though. Currently on my bench are two 1/24 Bf 109Es which I'm throwing everything and the kitchen sink at. I'm kind of treating them like vac kits and scratch building most of the details. Just spent a week re-scribing and re-riveting the fuselages and tail feathers which drove me mad. One is being back dated to a 109E-1 and the other will be a 109E-7 Trop. I really should do a WIP thread. However, I am really enjoying these builds. It's still a fantastic kit with a lot of potential. I love the Spitfire Mk Ia too, but with a bit of extra care, it can yield just as good results. By the way, there is some really nice 3D printed stuff currently being produced for the old Spitfire. A full cockpit is in development.

Cheers!

Steve 

• Like 1

Blimey, I had this as a Christmas or birthday present, the same boxing, it must of been about the late 70’s, so imagine I must of been about 12-13 years old, moulded in light blue plastic with rubber wheels.

At the time I was not much a modeller and started it but never finished it.

Anyway great build, you certainly are churning these big models out.

where’s the B52 😅

• Like 1

Great work on the old kit, and goes to show they're still good. 

The additional work on the wheel-wells makes a big difference. 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Awesome build! I love it and in my favourite 65/70/02 scheme too. I feel that the old Airfix "Superkits" get some disparaging comments in some quarters, but your build shows that they can still shine straight out of the box after 50 years. You had my favourite boxing too. These were the boxings of these kits which I lusted after as a kid in the late 70s. Never could afford them then, which probably explains why I have a stash of them now.

I think you read my mind though. Currently on my bench are two 1/24 Bf 109Es which I'm throwing everything and the kitchen sink at. I'm kind of treating them like vac kits and scratch building most of the details. Just spent a week re-scribing and re-riveting the fuselages and tail feathers which drove me mad. One is being back dated to a 109E-1 and the other will be a 109E-7 Trop. I really should do a WIP thread. However, I am really enjoying these builds. It's still a fantastic kit with a lot of potential. I love the Spitfire Mk Ia too, but with a bit of extra care, it can yield just as good results. By the way, there is some really nice 3D printed stuff currently being produced for the old Spitfire. A full cockpit is in development.

Cheers!

Steve 

This sounds interesting, Steve - you should do a WIP as I’m sure there’ll be many out there interested. It sounds like you’re throwing everything but the kitchen sink at them!

14 hours ago, kev67 said:

Blimey, I had this as a Christmas or birthday present, the same boxing, it must of been about the late 70’s, so imagine I must of been about 12-13 years old, moulded in light blue plastic with rubber wheels.

At the time I was not much a modeller and started it but never finished it.

Anyway great build, you certainly are churning these big models out.

where’s the B52 😅

Hi Kev, you should get another as I’m sure you’d do a better job these days 😂

And the B-52… currently in storage awaiting to be finished. I have everything I need to get it done now, apart from shelf space…

11 hours ago, mick b said:

Gorgeous Tom, the wheel well boxing in was one of the very first things my dad taught me about improving models back in the day, nostalgia indeed.🙂

Mike

Thanks, Mike - old-school skills essential for kits like these. You can’t beat it 😉

• Like 1