Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Rob K.

Gold Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1,015 Excellent

About Rob K.

  • Rank
    Established Member

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Gloucestershire, UK

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Splendid, love the plane, the livery and the build. Excellent work. Rgds, Rob
  2. Hi, As an FYI There appears to be a rebox coming out of the Kinetic F-5A. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-48110-nf-5a-freedom-fighter--1293539 The first issue kit and the Wolfpack was kind of hard to get hold of lately with only the B version readily available. But perhaps I am relaying old news. Anyhow, Regards, Rob
  3. At least there seems to be a re-box coming out soon of the Kinetic (n) f-5a: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kinetic-48110-nf-5a-freedom-fighter--1293539 Rgds
  4. I was able to see the Lanc and Halifax. (one image only) Nice work. I always find yellow quite a difficult colour as well. I am sure someone on here will advise on an appropriate yellow for you to use. Regards, Rob
  5. Hi, Sorry to jump in this late if at all, just noticed this post when doing a search. FWIW, now looking back, I found this kit to be one of the more enjoyable builds I have done recently. Very affordable. I did address a few things, mainly the deep panel lines and guns/cannon ports. It looks like an(N)F-5A in my cabinet. I did not compare it to a drawing in the end, but the plastic in the kit was easy to work with and it sanded very easily (if you were to address shape issues). Was looking for the Kinetic F-5, but it was expensive and hard to come by. So I got this one. I used only the generic kit decals, but they were surprisingly good. (Think it was originally a TAN model kit) I have seen comments were the kit was described as a caricature of a freedom fighter, but to my eyes it is still acceptable when a few corrections are made here and there. Just noticed one for £9.99 on an auction site............ (advertised as a Buy it now) Rgds, Rob
  6. Looks very nice. This Arma Hobby kit had quite a good review on hyperscale recently and you have proven it to be correct adding your skill. I hope they will also tap into the 1/48 market at some point. Great job!
  7. Brilliant work. Love the contrast of the old battered look and the freshly applied anniversary markings on tail and tanks. Well done! Rgds, Rob
  8. Thanks Phil, Sure wasn't an easy build. Next time a build one I will just follow the instructions and keep my desk a little tidier Thanks for the comment. Rgds Rob
  9. Nice work. The propeller blades alone must have taken up a good part of the build. Great photographs. Impressive model rgds, Rob
  10. Rob K.

    Best aluminium paint?

    Fully agree with what your saying. I used to avoid NMF's, but since AK XM I find it easier than airbrushing camouflage schemes. It attaches very well to a mr Surfacer or a Tamiya grey rattle can primer. I also use AK's black primer (micro-filler) a lot, not just for NMF's. For polished aluminium I use their black primer, followed by mr Color GX Ueno black gloss (fast drying and hard), followed by AK Pol Alu, I often seal it with Mr color GX2 gloss clear, because it can ever so slightly wear from the black gloss when handling too often near leading edges etc. where you tend to pick up the model. (If this happens I correct it at the end of the build by gently applying a little metalized chrome powder by UvdR and polish the metal back) Masking is not a problem on AK XM, not even with their polished Alu coat. Paint brush: I like the Revell aqua colours, metal and regular matt colours. Yes they can be really thick in their little container, but add a little water on your brush, mix and most colours brush really nice without brush marks. I use their aluminium, silver, iron, black, grey, olive and brown colours a lot. Brass is not great. The only thing I found was that with AK XM I had to switch to a different filler. I switched to a mix of thin CA-glue with ammo gun metal powder for contrast and easier sanding compared to regular CA. My previous go to Tamiya filler is just a little too porous and shows up when applying the AK XM's AK is real easy to airbrush and even when I have pooled it by mistake it settled itself back without leaving any marks. My last 4 builds were all NMF's and so will be my 5th! Regards, Rob
  11. Hi, FWIW, I tried the high pressure with 30 psi through my Iwata HP-CS 0.35 mm nozzle and ended up with too much primer on the subject and despite the self levelling properties even had some build up when all was dry. I now spray it (not-thinned) at a "regular" pressure of 20 psi and I have good control and a lovely primer layer. However, this may just work for me and my equipment. As is explained in the ISM video, initially it is a good practice to build up layers with sufficient drying time between them. Here is a good video of how to use them, but perhaps you have seen it already: Hope this helps. Rgds, Rob
  12. Hi, build this kit not long ago and was surprised by the detail provided in the kit compared to some of the other 1/24 scale's I have built. I found it to be an excellent kit. Your build has a really nice quality to it. Very nice work. Rgds, Rob
  13. Very nice finish. Like it a lot Rgds, Rob
  14. It's pretty much all screwed up.............! (Apologies....Couldn't resist.....Love this thread, the effort and the build though - nice and unusual) I like it so much that I've just ordered one from a well known online seller. Its from the IWM. They have ships, tanks etc. as well. Rgds, Rob
  • Create New...