Jump to content

Airfix/Paragon 1/48th Jaguar T.2


Recommended Posts

Second one across the finishing line this year albeit it was started a fair bit before that. I always liked the look of the two seat Jaguar and built a 1/72nd scale one many years ago, but always wanted to step up a scale and build one in this scale. I managed to pick up all of the Paragon resin parts that were needed and there they sat for too many years. Then last year the moment came and off I set. If you want to know how it came together then the build thread is here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235074101-airfix-148-jaguar-t2-conversion/

 

The Airfix GR.3 was chosen as the starting point and the following were added:

  • Paragon Designs - Jaguar T.2 Conversion Set
  • Paragon Designs - Jaguar Bulged Wheels
  • Paragon Designs - Jaguar Flaps and Slats
  • Paragon Designs - Jaguar Afterburner, Chaff Dispensers (not used) and Cannon bulges
  • Eduard - Jaguar Cockpit Etch Set
  • Ted Antonopoulos - Drop Tanks & Pylons 

 

Everything line and rivet was sharpened up a bit and it all went together pretty well with a bit of patience. I added lots of details on the way too but mostly underneath and out of sight now. Paint was from Hataka for the camouflage and Vallejo for details. Future was used for the shine and Xtracrylix Matt to dull it all down again at the end. I finished it in the markings of No. 6 Sqn based at Lossiemouth, which had its twists and turns as I couldn't find any decals with the data for a camouflaged Jaguar. I ended up using decals from Kits-World, Xtradecal, Microscale & Aviation Workshop to cobble together something that looks suitably close. However here she is for good and bad:

rEIbW3X.jpg?1

0FO2ZRX.jpg?1

mwoOijj.jpg?1

0zY2OKn.jpg?1

ALhOA45.jpg?1

Vxrcuc6.jpg?1

y0Bs83f.jpg?1

3TiZG83.jpg?1

dHg68zs.jpg?1

GJGWQn1.jpg?1

RftI3fw.jpg?1

KmpJn3h.jpg?1

 

As always comment and criticism welcomed

Pete

  • Like 66
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a really nice model. I remember wrap around camo Jaguars and Tornadoes as a kid. I lived in Germany in the 1980s as my dad was Army Royal Engineers and worked with the RAF, I saw a lot of Harrier GR3s and Jaguars and F3 Tornados and Phantoms. I should get into building this era of models the RAF looked it's best with these schemes in my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You've done a fantastic job on the conversion to the T2 and the wrap round camo is just perfect.:bullseye:

 

6 hours ago, Peter W said:

I always liked the look of the two seat Jaguar and built a 1/72nd scale one many years ago,

Me too, the two seater has to be one of the most attractive aircraft going. I keep hoping a new kit of  the T2 in 1/72 will be brought out as I've promised to build one for a friend who got a back seat ride in one. Lucky devil.

Pete

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A brilliant conversion indeed!  The 2 seat Jag is a very sleek aeroplane isn't it...

 

Cheers

Shaun

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That really is very nice indeed, lovely.  🙂   

 

It's been a little while now since I ran Paragon Designs, manufacturing all of the stuff that I did, but it is always a pleasure to see a finished model that has incorporated some of the items that I issued back then, particularly when it has been finished to such a high standard as this one.   Especially, I must say, all of the items relating to the Jaguar (particularly the two-seat version) as I have a bit of a fondness and soft spot for that aircraft, as I am from, and still live, in Norwich, with the former RAF Coltishall on my doorstep, where Jaguars were obviously based for some time.  Very happy and fond memories of everything associated with that place, friends and aquaintances from there too (although sadly some who are no longer with us, much to my regret).  Coltishall and the Jaguar will always bring back such very good memories for me. Happy days ......... !

 

You have done an excellent job there Pete, superb stuff. Well done. 

 

 

🙂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's lovely.

 

I have fond memories of standing by the fence at Coltishall watching the Jags come and go... sadly missed.

 

Tom

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

 

I have fond memories of standing by the fence at Coltishall watching the Jags come and go... sadly missed.

 

 

Oh yes indeed, spent many a happy hour doing that. As you say, sadly missed!   Standing in the farmers field, Jags lined up at the end of the runway, full power on, before releasing the brakes ............ the noise!!   So close that you could almost reach out and touch them, it seemed.  Never to be repeated, mores the pity ...... ☹️

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 7:08 PM, Deano353 said:

That's a really nice model. I remember wrap around camo Jaguars and Tornadoes as a kid. I lived in Germany in the 1980s as my dad was Army Royal Engineers and worked with the RAF, I saw a lot of Harrier GR3s and Jaguars and F3 Tornados and Phantoms. I should get into building this era of models the RAF looked it's best with these schemes in my opinion.

Hi Deano353 - I agree, this era of the RAF was so much more eye catching than the later shades of grey paint schemes. There's a Phantom group build later in the year that might just tempt me to add a camouflaged FGR.2 to the build list.

On 2/20/2021 at 11:03 PM, Pete in a shed said:

You've done a fantastic job on the conversion to the T2 and the wrap round camo is just perfect.:bullseye:

 Thanks Pete - I couldn't agree more, it just suits the line of a Jaguar so much and, without doubt, the two seater always caught my eye more.

 

16 hours ago, Neil said:

It's been a little while now since I ran Paragon Designs, manufacturing all of the stuff that I did, but it is always a pleasure to see a finished model that has incorporated some of the items that I issued back then, particularly when it has been finished to such a high standard as this one.   Especially, I must say, all of the items relating to the Jaguar (particularly the two-seat version) as I have a bit of a fondness and soft spot for that aircraft, as I am from, and still live, in Norwich, with the former RAF Coltishall on my doorstep, where Jaguars were obviously based for some time.  Very happy and fond memories of everything associated with that place, friends and aquaintances from there too (although sadly some who are no longer with us, much to my regret).  Coltishall and the Jaguar will always bring back such very good memories for me. Happy days ......... !

Hi Neil - It's not the first time that I've ever used your creations and it still amazes me the ability that you guys have in creating this stuff. If not for these sets then there's no way that I'd ever have been able to build my favourite Jaguar in this scale, well not without a lot more work with the KH kit anyway, so thank you for having a passion for the Jaguar and making these sets available in the first place. I envy you being able to spend time around them too although I am fortunate enough to live within cycling distance of RAF Wyton and RAF Alconbury so certainly had my fix of jets growing up but the Jaguar always was an aircraft that I used lots of rolls of film on at air shows.

 

Massive thank you to everyone else that commented or liked this build too, it means a lot.  I'm pretty guilty at times of never getting my head out of my own builds and looking at the talent on show on this forum, so thank you to all for not being as bad as me.

 

Pete

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 9:32 AM, JagRigger said:

Tidy effort that - and I'm hyper critical of any Jaguar models.

 

I've flown in that one too 😉

Thanks JagRigger - Hopefully I haven't got it too far wrong and envious of you having had a trip in one too.

 

Pete

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...