12 Sqn Anti Ship Strike

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

wow! Shat a nice and purposeful looking diorama!

Great additional info! 

One question regarding this :

These missiles are jettissond from the pylon and then start their entines, no?

How do they power away from the high subsonic Bucc only with the turbine? Don't they have any booster for this? Or do the fall behind the launch plane? Can't imagine this very ideal for low level lauches....

Thanks!!/Werner

At launch the weapon retains much of the energy imparted to it by the carrier aircraft and will only decelerate slightly (due to aerodynamic drag) before engine light up.  Once the weapon's engine has lit it will accelerate the weapon until thrust equals drag or the fuel runs out, whichever happens first.  I can't remember what the range and maximum speed of the Sea Eagle is(was) but it was certainly beyond visual range and at least highly subsonic.  (Wikipaedia says > 110km, whatever that is in real money, and Mach 0.85+.  As its primary targets were maritime that'll be at sea level, so around 660 knots.)

Edited by stever219
Extra bits of blether.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, stever219 said:

At launch the weapon retains much of the energy imparted to it by the carrier aircraft and will only decelerate slightly (due to aerodynamic drag) before engine light up.  Once the weapon's engine has lit it will accelerate the weapon until thrust equals drag or the fuel runs out, whichever happens first.  I can't remember what the range and maximum speed of the Sea Eagle is(was) but it was certainly beyond visual range and at least highly subsonic.  (Wikipaedia says > 110km, whatever that is in real money, and Mach 0.85+.  As its primary targets were maritime that'll be at sea level, so around 660 knots.)

thanks for clarification!

upon some not very fruitful research I at least came up with this picture:

SeaHarrierandSeaEagle.jpg

confirms a lot of your points above :) (wish there was a video somewhere....)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

The  missile is released   from the pylon (just like a bomb) first thing that happens is the jet intake cover is jettisoned and the airstream spins the turbine and pyrotechnic igniters start the jet engine,  the range was about 100km.

There was a rocket boosted variant of Sea Eagle that was used IIRC by  Indian navy  Sea King helicopters as obviously there would not be enough forward speed from a Helicopter to spin the engine turbine enough to start up

see this link, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/161202-indian-navy-shipbuilders-navy-ins-nilgiri-ins-godavari-ins-brahmaputra.html    scroll down to see a image of an air  firing.

Selwyn

• Like 2

Oh yes, that's absolutely awesome! How could you not love a low level Buccaneer. Fantastic diorama, incredibly original and beautifully executed.

Love this, has made my day.

Eng. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't want to see that coming towards you! Great diorama, love how you've done the sea, and stunning brick and missile :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Selwyn said:

The  missile is released   from the pylon (just like a bomb) first thing that happens is the jet intake cover is jettisoned and the airstream spins the turbine and pyrotechnic igniters start the jet engine,  the range was about 100km.

There was a rocket boosted variant of Sea Eagle that was used IIRC by  Indian navy  Sea King helicopters as obviously there would not be enough forward speed from a Helicopter to spin the engine turbine enough to start up

see this link, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/161202-indian-navy-shipbuilders-navy-ins-nilgiri-ins-godavari-ins-brahmaputra.html    scroll down to see a image of an air  firing.

Selwyn

Thanks Selwyn.  I think I'd over-simplified my response there, quite forgetting that Sea Eagle wasn't rocket powered.  Was there a speed lock/limiter on the missile as, if I remember my O-level physics correctly, the missile should continue to accelerate as fuel is burned off and mass decreases unless thrust is slowly and progressively reduced?  (Force/thrust = mass x acceleration).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Thanks Selwyn.  I think I'd over-simplified my response there, quite forgetting that Sea Eagle wasn't rocket powered.  Was there a speed lock/limiter on the missile as, if I remember my O-level physics correctly, the missile should continue to accelerate as fuel is burned off and mass decreases unless thrust is slowly and progressively reduced?  (Force/thrust = mass x acceleration).

As far as I know the Jet maintained a constant thrust, it would have got lighter and faster as it burned off fuel, but it only had a small fuel tank so I don't think it would have made that much difference. The speed was always quoted as "high subsonic" and it would attack the target at an altitude of around 3 metres making it very difficult to detect. 

I understand that the premise was that the attack would be made in concert with ALARM missiles, the idea being in simple terms,  if you left your ships radars on the ALARM  would destroy them letting in the Sea Eagle, if you turned off the radar to deflect the ALARM You than couldn't detect the Sea Eagle. Same result either way! 

Selwyn

• Like 1

That's a great presentation all around!

As nice as the diorama base is, I'm equally impressed by the build quality of your Buccaneer. My hat goes off to anyone who can get that pig of a kit looking that good.

• Like 1