Tears were once my only way back home (1/72 Eduard Spitfire IXs)

"I could not reconcile myself to denying my nationality, so I went on talking Polish. For this I was often tied to a post and beaten, but as I was strong and refused to give in, I managed to stand it...I preferred it to disgracing myself and going to a Hitler family."
-- Sigismund Krajeski, taken by the Nazis in 1943, aged ten, to be Aryanized and given to German parents. He escaped home to Poznan from Gmunden in Austria (600 kilometers) and survived the war.

Anyway, managed to do the Colourcoats Dark Green.

31796562244_e805aca32f_h.jpg20170131_210044 by Edward IX, on Flickr

The camera doesn't show it so well, but to my eye, the Mr Color Ocean Grey is very close to the Colourcoats version. They both seem slightly less blue to me than Tamiya. My colour perception is so poor this doesn't matter a whit, of course. 

I unmasked the undersides to check on the striping:

31796562244_e805aca32f_h.jpg20170131_210044 by Edward IX, on Flickr

31796560134_e71803c806_h.jpg20170131_210131 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Some poor masking on my part means the stripes won't look 100%. In the future I think I won't use enamels for the stripes, since lacquers let me do more in less time and these can be kinda complex. The 3M tape has the same limitation as regular Tamiya tape, which is that complex shapes make it hard to do a straight line continuing over 360 degrees worth of surface.

Winston is teething, apparently, which means he has two modes: being held by his mother (and trying to breastfeed -- my personal feeling is once they're wearing boots, this should be over and done with, but I have no input), or screaming his goddamn head off. Toddlers are horrible and I don't recommend them. Looking into whether or not oil rigs need social media people.

• Like 20

41 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Winston is teething, apparently, which means he has two modes: being held by his mother (and trying to breastfeed -- my personal feeling is one they're wearing boots, this should be over and done with, but I have no input), or screaming his goddamn head off. Toddlers are horrible and I don't recommend them. Looking into whether or not oil rigs need social media people.

You have my sympathies Edward, I wasn't real good at the toddler stage but now I've three great young mean, 21-15 years & I can look back on those years & laugh, it does get better. There were times though I used to consider whether or not this might have applied to me. Sorry to anyone who doesn't find it funny. :D

Steve.

• Like 5

What little I know about colors, i think those Colorcoats look terrific. Eagerly awaiting the day (but not holding my breath)  they appear as acrylic.

Teething problems and breastfeeding? Wouldn't Mrs P have some strong opinions about that?

Very nice Spitfires PC :) Looks like you've included the same photo twice and we can't 'share' on the stripes but I know what you mean about tape over lumps and bumps - tricky.

Poor Winnie, poor you... I'm no expert but I guess it's the first time he's experienced 'chronic pain' rather than quick bumps and bangs so he uses the only communication mechanism available... I think Steve's link makes a point (humorously) though - "it's the behaviour that's rewarded that's repeated". Have you tried any therapies? For Winnie's gums of course... worth looking into as he may be teething for quite a while (sorry).

• Like 1

Your Spitology exhibit is coming along very nicely in the colo(u)r department PC.

Sorry to hear about the travails of Lord Sorefang though: is there some kind of Trump effigy that you can purchase for him to gnaw on?

Tony

• Like 6

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice Spitfires PC :) Looks like you've included the same photo twice and we can't 'share' on the stripes but I know what you mean about tape over lumps and bumps - tricky.

Aheh. Let's try that again.

32260184510_bbb8584af0_k.jpg20170131_210059 by Edward IX, on Flickr

7 hours ago, Christer A said:

Teething problems and breastfeeding? Wouldn't Mrs P have some strong opinions about that?

All of Mrs P's opinions are strong, often in inverse proportion to her understanding of the situation. Mrs P is unfortunately a habitué of mommy blogs, and is given to unironically saying things like "I can't understand why a mother wouldn't love her child enough to breastfeed it," in a complacent, self-satisfied tone. As I'm mildly lactose-intolerant (and my sisters are both severely so), I can think of a few reasons, but it's all part of the stereotype, I guess. If it were up to me, he'dve been done long ago, but nothing in that realm is. In any case, she can say truly "I have paid my price to live with myself on the terms that I willed." Especially when she has to lug a thirty pound imbiber around the house.

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Sorry to hear about the travails of Lord Sorefang though: is there some kind of Trump effigy that you can purchase for him to gnaw on?

I considered getting him a pocket constitution; if it's good enough for the president...

20 minutes ago, Greenshirt said:

Which is one reason I decided to be "world's best uncle". My highest regards to any parent, I just cannot imagine myself as one. 

I can't either. Unfortunately it seems to be happening anyway.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, Avereda said:

I have no recollection of Baby Avereda teething, it's possible I simply drank my way through it.

I think I still have some bourbon. Hard to mask when drunk, though.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Hard to mask when drunk, though.

No it's not, just never sober up and then people think that it's just the way you are.

Edit. You mean mask canopies, rather than mask being drunk, don't you.

Edited by Beard
I think I misunderstood the post.
  • Like 12

2 minutes ago, Beard said:

No it's not, just never sober up and then people think that it's just the way you are.

Edit. You mean mask canopies, rather than mask being drunk, don't you.

I prefer your first understanding :D

• Like 7

Teething. Here in the UK we can buy a gel called Bonjella.

Rubbed on the gums it numbs the pain. Way back, when we

had run out or couldn't afford it on RAF wages we dipped a

finger in whisky and rubbed that on. (It aids sleep too).

Also we had a liquid filled 'teething ring' that we placed

in the freezer and let the child chew on. Again, result.

Oh, nice Spitfires BTW.

• Like 1

I guess, I didn't get a gel, when I got my first theeth. I think my grandma (of course) and my mum did try it usually with Zwieback. You chew it and it sucks the spit. That I guess was their plan and it did not harm me.

Nice Spits of course and a good paint job at all so far.

16 hours ago, Procopius said:

31796560134_e71803c806_h.jpg20170131_210131 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Some poor masking on my part means the stripes won't look 100%. In the future I think I won't use enamels for the stripes, since lacquers let me do more in less time and these can be kinda complex. The 3M tape has the same limitation as regular Tamiya tape, which is that complex shapes make it hard to do a straight line continuing over 360 degrees worth of surface.

Hi Mr. P,

these models look delightful!

As far as the stripes are concerned, I would be more worried about them looking to neat, considering the haste they were painted with (or more accurately how the paint was splashed upon the airframe...)

So nothing wrong at all with your stripe masking, except maybe that they look possibly too goody two shoes!

Great show

JR

• Like 4

Super stripy, they're looking awsome, all three. What is it with folk doing multiple kits at the same time, I struggle with just one. :o

As for the little un, try and seek out  "teetha" crystals. 

http://m.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/en-gb/uk/our-brands/nelsons-baby?gclid=CL-n__Pf79ECFUqx7QodmgYFVg

like CrAcK for kids. It's not full of drugs and it worked a treat on our two. Worth a shot before the oil rig. ;)

John

To be honest those stripes look the business, I can't find fault with em. And as Jean stated, I understand they were often painted on pretty quickly in a sort of "Friday afternoon job" sort of way, so I think any imperfections add to the realism.

• Like 2

Hi Edward 

teething... well, we used a teething necklace,  made  of amber,  scientific evidence seems to dismiss it,  but it seemed to help.  the sort of blogs Mrs.P hangs out undoubtedly will  have had lengthy yeahs and nays  on them

also, try a mango stone with a bit of  flesh left,  kept in a bag in the fridge or freezer,  good to  gnaw on, and soothing as cold. That   helped.

Toddlers hell?

No,  having a toddler is easy when you have 3 adolescent/ teenage 'step' daughters, one with some mental health issues, to contend with as well, whose dad is not very helpful shall we say.  

We still have the "pleasure" of the 17 year old  twins at the moment.  

Compared to that my offspring was/is a delight...... 

The Onion piece was wonderful as well :)

HTH

• Like 2

Great stripes PC - be proud!

Great link too - although I think the scientists should consider that mums are so scary no one will disagree with them (to their face!)

Bonjela gets my vote too BTW.

• Like 1

Evolution, that's where the blame lies. If we were still trilobites (or better yet, diatoms), there'd be none of this teething malarkey and the species, as a whole, might be happier.

Mr P, I'm hoping that you'll be tempted away from Spits with Airfix's Sea Fury (when it arrives). True magnificence. In the meantime, your little menage is looking most Spitfing (sic).

I have no advice re teething infants. None of my own, and I even managed to miss doing the the uncle thing.

• Like 3

Tonight it was just low-grade stuff. Last night I did the props, and tonight I did the wing leading edge on the Colourcoats Spit, painted and added the bomb pylons, assembled the two part tires (lame, Eduard), and used EXTREEEEEEEEEME METAL to paint the gear legs and wheel hubs, as well as using it for a base for the exhaust stacks, which I am telling myself I want to weather and make look nice, but ha ha you know how life is. 

31816594414_06196427e8_h.jpg20170201_230037 by Edward IX, on Flickr

32506401412_756fed4a1a_h.jpg20170201_230508 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I keep accidentally touching the drying yellow enamel and messing it up. Would that it were a lacquer or I were less clumsy! By the by, masking for the stripes is a PAIN. I see why I never did it before the days of the curvy Tamiya tape. 

4 hours ago, Rob G said:

Evolution, that's where the blame lies. If we were still trilobites (or better yet, diatoms), there'd be none of this teething malarkey and the species, as a whole, might be happier.

Apparently, our earliest ancestors were essentially toothy sacks full of poop, and many of us have failed to advance much further than this, despite millennia in which to try.

4 hours ago, Rob G said:

Mr P, I'm hoping that you'll be tempted away from Spits with Airfix's Sea Fury (when it arrives). True magnificence. In the meantime, your little menage is looking most Spitfing (sic).

It's 1/48, so I'm afraid not. Would that it were not, I've seen a Sea Fury in flight, and very lovely it was, too. I almost mistook it for a late Spitfire with the wing planform.

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

like CrAcK for kids. It's not full of drugs

Well where's the fun in that?

6 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

No,  having a toddler is easy when you have 3 adolescent/ teenage 'step' daughters, one with some mental health issues, to contend with as well, whose dad is not very helpful shall we say.  

We still have the "pleasure" of the 17 year old  twins at the moment.  

One of my fondest teenage memories is my father angrily shouting "why can't you be normal?" at me. It's a question I've struggled to answer myself many times since.

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

What is it with folk doing multiple kits at the same time, I struggle with just one. :o

Why struggle with one when you can struggle with three? That's my philosophy.

7 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

To be honest those stripes look the business, I can't find fault with em. And as Jean stated, I understand they were often painted on pretty quickly in a sort of "Friday afternoon job" sort of way, so I think any imperfections add to the realism.

I have a vague recollection that eventually the distinctive markings were painted on at the factory/MU level and got a little snappier, but as all of my books are in storage, I think we can turn a Nelsonian eye upon that.

• Like 9