Douglas A-1H Skyraider (1/48, Tamiya)

I've wanted to build the famous close air support workhorse for the long time but didn't want to go the usual way as most of the fellows around here, so I picked this peculiar camouflage and started to research the story behind it. I found out that US were transferring their surplus A-1H airframes to the Republic of Vietnam in early 60s. Some of these Spads found its way to the elite 83rd Special Air Group "Thần Phong" (Divine Wind). This unit was established in 1965 and drafted only the best pilots of VNAF. Nguyễn Cao Kỳ who later became a prime minster and vice president of Democratic Republic of Vietnam personally handpicked unit's elite members. 83rd SAG personnel wore all-black flight suits which became a trademark of the unit.

spacer.png

Skyraiders used dark green/dark brown camouflage. Only the bottom plane surface, serial number and eventually some spare parts wore original light gull grey paint in which it was delivered from the USA. Due to the nature of its missions unit didn't use any of the VNAF insignia except of the Flag of South Vietnam on the tail, which was also dropped later. 83rd SAG emblem depicting white dragon under five white stars was used instead. Most of the airframes used a yellow Chinese symbols as a nose art. According to unit's members, there was at least four different symbols used, all originating from the traditional Vietnamese card game called BAT. The symbol on my model reads "Cửu Sừng" which means The Best of the Best. Missions were flown over Laos and Cambodia where Vietcong insurgents were on the move. Usual ordnance loadout was up to 8 Mk. 82 bombs, 6 rocket pods or 6 napalm canisters and 4x 20 mm cannons.

spacer.png

VNAF Spads had some interesting quirks in comparison of its American counterparts. Most of the antennas and aerials were repositioned or changed completely, Yankee Extractor seat was removed and replaced with the original bucket seat while Yankee Extractor mechanism was kept intact, tailhook was removed and main gear was equipped with taxi lights. All VNAF Skyraiders had their airbrakes deactivated, so they couldn't be used in flight but could be opened manually on the ground.

I've used good old Tamiya kit as a base for this project along with a bunch of aftermarket detail sets from Master, Reskit, Aires, ANYZ, HGW and Brengun. Handful of decals came from AOA and the rest was a spray mask designed by Vietnamese fellow modeller and cut by Miryoku. I also used some 3D printing and scratch building in order to bring the model as close to its real life counterpart as possible. All painted with Mr. Paint colors and weathered with Rembrandt oil paints. 

HRR0309.jpg

7tlgB9d.jpg

5VAsBjb.jpg
k3BXOB7.jpg
f6TMHYn.jpg
rw6VRUB.jpg
PFT0AcL.jpg
I6sZpDB.jpg

VlrPa5O.jpg

• Like 50
  • Thanks 4

Stunning model.

Always nice to see a photo of the original and see that the model is spot on.

Very interesting history to go with this impressive build. Thanks for sharing your research and photos of your beautifully finished results.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice. I have that AOA decal set in 1/72 plus a pile of Hasegawa A-1s with the intention of build this too.... one day ;)

Sorry David, that was an understatement - she is VERY nice!!!! :)

• Like 1

Great work on this Skyraider both in the build and finish.  I really like the back story behind it.  I have a special affection for these aircraft having them save my scrawny behind more than once.

• Like 1