Nice!  Yes, agree with you 100% on Vallejo primer--not worth your while.  I'd use Badger's Stynylrez--much, much hardier in every respect.  You can paint over it 8-10 minutes after you apply by airbrush.

• Thanks 1

It looks spot on in all respects.

The exhausts look particularly realistic.

Some very sharp work on the ball turret too - even with the Eduard masks, I find that area to be problematic,

Michael

• Like 1

Wow that's just fantastic 👍 The finishing, detailing and weathering are just sublime. Really must build a B17 at some point having seen several on here recently. I can empathize with the Vallejo primer....bought a job lot least year and only used it once! Terrible stuff as you cannot sand it down like you say. Too rubbery 🙁

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the kind comments :worthy: Much better than what I get from the wife! Well I didn't bother to show her this time 😏

Pleased (?) that everyone else seems to be having the same experience with Vallejo Airbrush Primer. I was thinking that it's probably very good for miniatures for example, where you know you won't have any problems that need correcting but you have to be 100% certain the finish is spot on or it's just a let down. Having said that, it does provide a nice base for the paint. 

I spent a while finding the right reference material for the exhausts as I wanted a 'flown 25 missions' look with leaking fluid and rust/burn colours:

https://www.airspacemag.com/photocontest/detail/people-planes/b-17-turbocharger/

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/38978098@N03/3638006631/

I also spent some time researching the interior colours as I wasn't convinced with the interior green that the instructions state and you see recreated... I used this as a reference:

https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2019/09/11/b-17-flying-fortress-interior-colors-part-i/

https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/2019/09/18/b-17-flying-fortress-interior-colors-part-ii/

Hope they're of use and that I don't get told off for linking!

• Like 1

Superb finish. Weathered OD is such minefield, so much so I've jibbed doing one since coming back to the hobby several years ago. Your work has inspired me to get one into the bench!

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful!

You've totally captured the typically battle-worn look of bombers of the "Mighty 8th" and others.

:goodjob::clap2:

8 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Much better than what I get from the wife!

Yeah, I get similar reactions from my Missus.

But, hey, at least she hasn't told me to stop building, and I lover for that!

• Haha 1

That is sharp!

I’ve just caught up with your WIP and your dilemma over the finish, it’s turned out very smart, I like that finish!

• Thanks 1

Interesting point about the Vallejo Primer. I've used it on a couple of models recently . I did thin it down quite a bit but I managed to get a nice base. I did put a stupid finger print on a couple of areas! I removed them and blended the area around the repair isopropanol alcohol then resprayed. This worked for me. I did let the primer dry for over a week which seemed to make it hard enough. I don't recall sanding it though.  I'm still learning of course. Taken a close interest in your supercharger exhaust colour! I have some Rail Match Light Rust enamel which is about 20 odd years old which I intend using. Your model is excellent quality so thanks for sharing it with us! I'm doing the same kit as we speak I just hope I can do it with such aplomb as you have. I have an old tin of Humbrol  enamel OD which has a fantastic tinge of brown in it.. I did a Liberator in this.. hand painted! Wish I had enough to do my B17 as well ,as it to my eyes , is the 'right' weathered ,faded look and the correct shade. Having said that we all have our interpretations of colours. In the real world wartime conditions generated a whole spectrum of shades to meet the colour specifications. As modellers we can interpret them as we feel . You turned a great model in to an outstanding one if I may say so. I take heed of the slightly coloured Matt coat to get the desired effect! 

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/7/2020 at 11:46 PM, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Interesting point about the Vallejo Primer. I've used it on a couple of models recently . I did thin it down quite a bit but I managed to get a nice base. I did put a stupid finger print on a couple of areas! I removed them and blended the area around the repair isopropanol alcohol then resprayed. This worked for me. I did let the primer dry for over a week which seemed to make it hard enough. I don't recall sanding it though.  I'm still learning of course. Taken a close interest in your supercharger exhaust colour! I have some Rail Match Light Rust enamel which is about 20 odd years old which I intend using. Your model is excellent quality so thanks for sharing it with us! I'm doing the same kit as we speak I just hope I can do it with such aplomb as you have. I have an old tin of Humbrol  enamel OD which has a fantastic tinge of brown in it.. I did a Liberator in this.. hand painted! Wish I had enough to do my B17 as well ,as it to my eyes , is the 'right' weathered ,faded look and the correct shade. Having said that we all have our interpretations of colours. In the real world wartime conditions generated a whole spectrum of shades to meet the colour specifications. As modellers we can interpret them as we feel . You turned a great model in to an outstanding one if I may say so. I take heed of the slightly coloured Matt coat to get the desired effect! 

Thanks so much, looking forward to seeing your go at the kit. Are you doing a WIP?

I had sleepless nights because of that OD... or was it the 5 month old waking me up? 😂 Despite years of modelling, I always forget that the gloss cote always darkens but the flat always lightens. Case of holding ones nerve. Tamiya’s OD (XF-62) is a good colour for an out of the factory and larger scale model IMO but definitely needs lightening for any form of weathering or 1/72. I mixed with Khaki (XF-49) and sprayed on top to weather mine.

I enjoyed doing the turbo chargers exhausts. A base of brown with lighter variations then some neat orange on the edges did it for me.

• Like 1

Wow, love it. Paintwork is spot on. I use Vallejo primer and the only time I've had an issue with it not standing up to sanding was when I forgot to was the pieces before I started the build and I put it down to the releasing agent causing the issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Victory-is-in-the-Kitchen said:

Thanks so much, looking forward to seeing your go at the kit. Are you doing a WIP?

I had sleepless nights because of that OD... or was it the 5 month old waking me up? 😂 Despite years of modelling, I always forget that the gloss cote always darkens but the flat always lightens. Case of holding ones nerve. Tamiya’s OD (XF-62) is a good colour for an out of the factory and larger scale model IMO but definitely needs lightening for any form of weathering or 1/72. I mixed with Khaki (XF-49) and sprayed on top to weather mine.

I enjoyed doing the turbo chargers exhausts. A base of brown with lighter variations then some neat orange on the edges did it for me.

Hello. Victory . Yes indeed i have made some progress on my Revell 1:72 B17G . i'm just getting round to taking some pics and doing a WIP.! 

• Like 2