Hobby Boss 1/72 Do-335 'Pfeil'

CedB

After the epic that was my recent Revell Concorde build I looked in the stash for something easy. Something that didn't require every filler I have and industrial sanding tools. I plumped for the Hobbyboss Pfeil:

do335boxtop.jpg

Reviewed here by Paul AH in July 2013 he notes "this range is designed with ease of assembly taking priority over detail". Just what I'm after.

Sprue shots in the review, but here's a surprise when you open the box:

31431630645_776c1c6d44_z.jpg

Single part wing carefully packed and clear part in a protective foam pack. Nice touches.

On first look the kit looks to be just what I'm after and I'm prepared to ignore the faults. Oh OK, I may close up the moulded open gear doors (fill with Milliput?) and I might correct the prop blades. Maybe.

I'm a bit worried that Paul didn't complete the build after his review and Anil's build also stops. But then you know I like a little jeopardy...

• Like 11

I've built a number of HB easy-kits before and I love them. Mind, they are not always as easy to build as they claim as some need more filler than expected, however they are a refreshing experience, particularly after more involved modelling projects. I'm sure you'll enjoy this !

• Like 1

If you can ignore the booboos it sounds like a fun build! It does look very lean and mean. I've built two HB kits, one nice (Mig3), one -er- not-so-nice (Yak3). Am I wrong to actually like filling and sanding??

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Am I wrong to actually like filling and sanding??

It's a mild disease, but don't worry, you're never going to heal :D:D 

Ced, I'm in if you don't mind. I never fancied much this specific aircraft, but I'm very curious to see what you pull out from this :popcorn::drink: 

Ciao

• Like 3

Pop!

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Should be good. Have two Tamiya 335 with resin but 'wrong' scale; will be watching with interest for snaffling stuff :). Change of pace fron the Concorde - the Concorde always looks fast, even when parked on the ground.

Cheers,

Alex :sheep: <-- pet sheep wants to come along too

• Like 1

(Rats, out of 'likes', sorry Keith and Martian!)

Crikey, lots of viewers already, welcome everyone!

I've corrected the spelling of Pfeil ('Arrow') and checked that 'Pfiel' isn't rude; it's not a word, phew.

My schoolboy German says that 'Pfeil' should be pronounced 'feel' so, without further ado, let's have one (fnaar fnaar!)

The instructions aren't in Paul's review so here they are:

31323498741_7172660e41_z.jpg

Marvellous! No wheels up option though. Let's get going...

Annoying lugs on the bottom half need to come off:

31293894642_b32f5cf5a8_z.jpg

and then the fit is wonderful with no gaps :clap2::frantic: I'm very happy. Assembled the internals and sprayed them RLM66:

30631455433_5c72f1b275_n.jpg 31294957762_6e1785112f_n.jpg

No trips to the garage in the cold. Hey, it's fun this modelling isn't it? Better check the kit for wheels up:

30618375494_74c099c29f_z.jpg

Oh. Bit of a gap there in an otherwise nice fit. The nose wheel doors are also moulded as part of the bottom. Hmmm. I thought this was too easy...

• Like 10

One of my favourite piston engine aircraft. Looking forward to this one. Are you painting it as per the development aircraft on the box or going for a Luft46 scheme?? First unit was due to be KG2 around June 45

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CedB said:

I've corrected the spelling of Pfeil ('Arrow') and checked that 'Pfiel' isn't rude; it's not a word, phew.

My schoolboy German says that 'Pfeil' should be pronounced 'feel' so, without further ado, let's have one (fnaar fnaar!)

Back to school CedB!  Pfeil is pronounced Pfile.  It is easy to remember the German pronunciation of IE and EI.  WEIN (Wine) and BIER (Beer).  OK, so W is pronounced as V and it sounds like Vine.

I am trying to remember, is the pitch of the rear propeller correct?

Mike

• Like 2

I have never, ever seen an HB 'easy kit', not even from far away... And I desperately want to try one, mostly to see of it is easy enough for my limited abilities...

The Pfeil is a really impressive plane and ever since I stood by the one at the Deutsches Museum in Munich, I have been in awe of it.

So I will, like the crowd of good people who have already arrived with their chair and picnic baskets, take a pew in the back row and gawk at the master at work...

Have fun!

JR

• Like 4

Hullo!

Another Ced build and I'm chomping the popcorn.

Never knew HB did this and what are the faults anyway?

Trevor

btw if you're whiffing wotabout a North African example?

• Like 2

Hi Girvan - this is a relaxing build for me so I'll be doing it OOB, at least where the scheme is concerned.

Hi Jont, pull up a chair!

Thanks Mike for correcting my pronunciation - Pfile, got it!

Thanks Simon - doors got around, or at least stage 1, below.

Hi JR - it's looking like a nice, easy build so far, especially if you build it wheels down.

Hi Trevor - I'm not one for finding fault as you know but the props are weird. I may correct them, although maybe not!

I've hacked off carefully removed the nose wheel doors but Flickr seems to be misbehaving so pictures in the morning. Night all!

• Like 2