Your Airfix top (REALISTIC) future releases?

dpm1did1

I suspect Aeronut is right, given a Meteor FR9 is a fairly straightforward minor modification exercise anyway.

I'd like to hope that a 1/48th Hunter, single and two seater would sell well given how many operators there were, but  possibly post Shoreham and with Academy's rather poor offering having taken the easy sales it may nit look so attractive.

Next year being 100 years since the end of WW1 surely reworking some of the old favourites, possibly in1/48th or larger, might pay off. SE5a or Sopwith Camel?

• Like 1

I rather doubt we will see any FAA releases such as a scaled down Sea Vixen, Sea Fury, although the Walrus is possible. The reason for so many FAA releases this year is it the RAF 100th next year so the light blue will be the focus of attention, The Phantom FGR2 seem a sure thing, possibly even a gift set version of the FG1 in RAF special colours, the Javelin would be nice to scale down. As for the F-35B i'm pretty sure the research and CAD team could probably generate quite a good model if they tried, the killer in the equation is the licence fee to LM to produce it - a pity really as we do need a decent F-35B and would also be suitable for the US market being a USMC type.

On 6/21/2017 at 9:46 PM, Denford said:

Airfix have been 'dismissive' of more Spitfires in any scale.

Which, given that there is a fair body of evidence that modellers would be very grateful for a 1/48th Spit XIV which doesn't appear to be a tribute act to Jimmy Durante, seems a little short-sighted unless they know that Eduard (say) are going to beat them to the punch with one. While I can understand why a XIX was an attractive option to Airfix (BBMF, sales in Sweden), it struck me as a slightly odd one given the relatively limited number of colour schemes/decal options compared to the XIV.

1 hour ago, XV107 said:

Which, given that there is a fair body of evidence that modellers would be very grateful for a 1/48th Spit XIV which doesn't appear to be a tribute act to Jimmy Durante, seems a little short-sighted unless they know that Eduard (say) are going to beat them to the punch with one. While I can understand why a XIX was an attractive option to Airfix (BBMF, sales in Sweden), it struck me as a slightly odd one given the relatively limited number of colour schemes/decal options compared to the XIV.

Based on previous (Nothing announced until October), I'd take that statement with a huge pinch of salt.

Victor K2 is my guess

9 hours ago, XV107 said:

I doubt that Eduard will do a Spit XIV as until now they only did Merlin versions.

Reg. the Victor - a non Blue Steel bomber is also possible but I think not before 2019. They will sell the existing one first. Then comes the new tool Vulcan and then the next Victor type ;-)

17 hours ago, Denford said:

There is a whole Whitley fuselage and 'other data'.

Do17: this was some years ago, and Airfix have 'hardened' their selection criteria since then.  From the lips of Simon Owen, Senior Researcher: if there isn't an extant example that we can LIDAR (or otherwise accurately measure), or manufacturers' engineering drawings (my italics) we won't do it.  Engineering drawings: those produced by the manufacturer to produce the parts, supported by assembly drawings showing dimensions etc between them.  Dye line prints, until the advent of computer produced drawings. 

One exception!  I understand that Westland were outstandingly co-oprative in supplying computer design data in relation to..... Sea King?

The Do17 was released in 2014 and the Whitley in 2015, so both are very recent tools. There are substantial Do17 remains and less substantial Whitley remains but nothing, in either case, that constitutes something that Airfix can measure, climb all over and look inside, without resorting to significant additional research. Yes, Hornby may well have forced Airfix to harden their selection criteria in the light of their recent financial difficulties, but it's been widely reported that Airfix are the one section of Hornby actually turning a profit and that must surely give them certain leeway in subject choice, hence the forthcoming Walrus amongst the far safer bets of Sea Fury, Phantom, 262 and Mustang. I’m also aware of what Simon Owen has been reported as having said but I’m not convinced that their criteria for subject choice is as restricted as that quote might lead us to believe. I’m also not convinced that shying away from Spitfires is particularly wise, especially given the ongoing clamour for a XIV and/or Vc on this forum and others. Yes, I know we are simply the tip of a modelling iceberg but we are also a barometer for the general modelling population. If LIDARing extant examples is Airfix’s primary future direction however, it appears that I’ll be waiting an awful long time for a new Westland Whirlwind or DH Hornet but perhaps I still have reason to hope for a Beaufort.

Regards, Jeff

58 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

I doubt that Eduard will do a Spit XIV as until now they only did Merlin versions.

Reg. the Victor - a non Blue Steel bomber is also possible but I think not before 2019. They will sell the existing one first. Then comes the new tool Vulcan and then the next Victor type ;-)

Airfix do the Griffon engined Spitfire 22 in 1/72nd and the XII and 22/24 in 1/48th, with the smaller 22 and the larger XII both quite recent tools.

Regards, Jeff

Well that's me kicked up the rear by a Wellington boot.

The FR9 will come but am I unhappy I guessed wrong? No, A Wellington 1c will fit my Airborne Forces collection nicely, although I'll still have to open the parachute exit and add the glider tow yoke myself.

Ooh a Wimpey! Lovely! 

Given Airfix's problems- surely with minimal tooling they could bring out the following:

Grand Slam/Tallboy Lanc

Rag wing Hurricane

Meteor FR9

AC47 Gunship

1/48 Hurricane 11C/D

Victor K2

And surely in the wings are:

Fairey Battle

Westland Lysander

German Resupply Set

Would they really do a new tool P47 or Corsair just to say they have them in the range given the competition? Even if they could be RAF/FAA marked?

TT

4 hours ago, Jeff Wilson said:

The Do17 was released in 2014 and the Whitley in 2015, so both are very recent tools. There are substantial Do17 remains and less substantial Whitley remains but nothing, in either case, that constitutes something that Airfix can measure, climb all over and look inside, without resorting to significant additional research. Yes, Hornby may well have forced Airfix to harden their selection criteria in the light of their recent financial difficulties, but it's been widely reported that Airfix are the one section of Hornby actually turning a profit and that must surely give them certain leeway in subject choice, hence the forthcoming Walrus amongst the far safer bets of Sea Fury, Phantom, 262 and Mustang. I’m also aware of what Simon Owen has been reported as having said but I’m not convinced that their criteria for subject choice is as restricted as that quote might lead us to believe. I’m also not convinced that shying away from Spitfires is particularly wise, especially given the ongoing clamour for a XIV and/or Vc on this forum and others. Yes, I know we are simply the tip of a modelling iceberg but we are also a barometer for the general modelling population. If LIDARing extant examples is Airfix’s primary future direction however, it appears that I’ll be waiting an awful long time for a new Westland Whirlwind or DH Hornet but perhaps I still have reason to hope for a Beaufort.

Regards, Jeff

There a lead time between 'Go Ahead' and 'Release': probably at least 2 years for Dornier and Whitley.

The 'Go Ahead' for the Dornier definitely predates the 'Accuracy first' policy.  I spoke with the designer who confirmed that he had made 'amendments' (the radius of the fuselage to wing fairing) on the basis of the 'wreckage'.  Not sure about the Whitley, but I became aware of the 'Accuracy first' policy at a presentation by Simon Owen in August? 2015.  Yes, I heard him say it, so it's not '...reported as having said...'.  He also said (this time words to the effect) 'there are many subjects we would like to tool, but can't'.

But let's step back: there are many, many subjects that Airfix could tool and for which there is enough 'verifiably accurate data'.

- Those already tooled but inaccurate or with worn out moulds.  Fairey Battle and until this morning, Wellington!

- Those in their range that are, well adequate, with other examples (and not always readily available) elsewhere and none up to Airfix's current standards.  Dauntless with perforated dive brakes, Avenger with folding wings, Boston\Havoc, 2 Seat Hunter, Merlin Halifax, P-38, P-39 and many more.

- Those they have never tooled and for which there is no quality kit readily available, or perhaps not available at all.  Me410, P-51B\C, Beaufort, Venom/Sea Venom, Twin Mustang, PB4Y-2 Privateer and many more.

With so many subjects to choose from, why produce something that cannot be of assured accuracy when there are so many that can? Yet there are ongoing requests for Wellesley, Whirlwind, Stirling, Hornet, Do217, 'Sally' and again many, many more.

Likewise, there's no need to enter the 'grey area'. F6F: Eduard's rendering is unlikely to be surpassed at its price.  P-47: Tamiya's rendering is supposedly one of the best 1/72 kits, to which the usual response is 'that Airfix's line up wouldn't be complete without one'!

Finally Spitfires.  I have to assume that Airfix know their business and market better than those of us who make BM postings.  Yes; I'd love to see a Spitfire Vc\Xll 'part-common kit' for want of a better phrase.  With limited capacity (like everyone else) something else would have to be sacrificed.  Almost all the above (plus a 1/72 Sea Fury) are on my wants list, so which would I choose for the chop.....?

Regards, Airfix fan.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Botan said:

I would like to bring some thoughts to the table.

Firstly, you mentioned, that Airfix is rather preparing a double versions, than multiple. I think it may a bit to early to be sure about, maybe kits have possibility to more versions being made (even or tooled, if half job is done with CADs), bu Airfix simply takes time.

Other thing, which bothers me, is that earlier Airfix keep some older tools afloat, when retooling worn out old ones. But now looks like all older tools are out of range, I wonder if that means younger tools also have the same chance to be retooled.

Anyway, those for now are my types to be retooled in 1/72 scale. I mean I don't dare to try predict absolutely new planes.

Most probable:

Vickers Wellington B.III

Sopwith Camel

Short Sunderland

Supermarine Walrus Mk.II

Messerschmitt Me 109F

Looks like I have hit the jackpot. So now my count of predicted retools is three.

And I'm happy with it. A Coastal Command Wimpy from Polish Sqn. 304 for long time was on my to do list.

34 minutes ago, Denford said:

There a lead time...

Ah well, call it wishful thinking on my part then. I'd still like to see a Beaufort however.

Regards, another Airfix fan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Beaufort - yes. Yak-9 - likewise. Early Ju 88 - why not? V-P

I think by now I scarcely need to say it, but, Yak-9 - yes, absolutely!!! :speak_cool:

John

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Botan said:

Looks like I have hit the jackpot. So now my count of predicted retools is three.

Three out of how many goes? We've all made accurate predictions if you include lists of possibles posted over the months and years. 

Get ready to share your Airfix Millions with the rest of us... ;)

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Three out of how many goes? We've all made accurate predictions if you include lists of possibles posted over the months and years. 

Get ready to share your Airfix Millions with the rest of us... ;)

Fair point. This was my guess for 2017. Still, Wellington was on top on my these (and 2017)  year list ;)

There is many people guessing (and dreaming), I just thought, if I assume a few factors, and rewrite Airfix catalogue from awesome database on Airfix Tribute Forum (really god job guys), I may make a list with points in different categories, and sum them up. Wimpy had the biggest amount of those, 19, when next in queue had 16.

I still have some ideas how to improve it, but it can wait for 2019. It was fun to going through old Airfix models.

Oh, what the heck- might as well put in my two cents (tuppance?) worth; all in 1/72 scale, natcherely:

metal wing Hurricane, Mk IIc/d

Spitfire Vc

P-63A/C/G

Bv-141

Hampden

Beaufort

PBY-2/5/5A

A-20C/G/K

F/RF-84F

Hunter, especially a two-seater!

Scimitar

F4U4/5, AU-1

P-61A/B/C

C-130A/E/H

Widgeon

Canberra BMk 2

DH-88 Comet

Ford Trimotor

Nieuport 28C

Hawker Demon

Bristol Bulldog

DH-4

• Like 3

I wanted to, and actually still wish to, build some Med Hurricanes, of type IIa and b. And a Pedestal Sea Hurri too of course. All the shelves seemed to be packed with Airfix and Revell IIc:s, which I then built two of but not in my favoured schemes. Airfix appears to have a mg wing tooling for their Mk.II fuselage, but only sold it in their Op. Torch Club kit? Wouldn't that be good for series production too? V-P

The Puma has been ignored by just about every manufacturer for far too long, IMO Italeri with the success of their Wessex range will cash in with it.  Must be 1:48

The Herc needs updating and reintroducing in 1:72

Love the idea of Airfix going for gold with a 60's/70's/80's Fleet Air Arm range.  The new Phantom is a good start, Buccaneer's, Gannets, Wessex, Sea  King, you get the idea.

• Like 2

I am suprised Airfix don't tool up a new Eurofighter Typhoon - their old one is somewhat inaccurate and could do with being replaced and it could be followed by an F-35 when they finally make RAF/FAA service.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

I am suprised Airfix don't tool up a new Eurofighter Typhoon - their old one is somewhat inaccurate and could do with being replaced and it could be followed by an F-35 when they finally make RAF/FAA service.

I wouldn't thank them for an F-35 - or yet more  Spitfires for that matter!!:P:wink:. Agree with the Typhoon though. Also, I would think their very tired and somewhat inadequate Tornado kits were long overdue for replacement!.Anyone for a HS 748 or Andover?

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

I wouldn't thank them for an F-35 - or yet more  Spitfires for that matter!!:P:wink:. Agree with the Typhoon though. Also, I would think their very tired and somewhat inadequate Tornado kits were long overdue for replacement!.Anyone for a HS 748 or Andover?

Allan.

I'd love an HS 748 and Andover but can't see it, somehow.  Might have to bite the bullet and go for Welshmodels.  I still think that there is one Spitfire variant they should have though.  Namely the MkXIV.  They could really do with a Seafire in 1/72 in my opinion too.  I'd buy a few, especially a Griffon variant.  I wonder if, given time, they'll go for the complete set of Bomber Command night bomber new tools now they've announced the Wimpy.  Hampden, Halifax, Sterling and Mosquito. 

Edited by Meatbox8
Typo correction
  • Like 1