Hong Kong Models Co Ltd was with a team and a LIDAR scanner at The Royal Air Force Museum - Hendon

Homebee

1/48 Vulcan B2? Hopefully.... They like doing big things in big scales and I can't think of anything better. 

But I'd still be waiting for any scale Vulcan b1 😕

• Like 4

10 hours ago, tony.t said:

Ju 88R-1 360043 was moved to Cosford in February 2017. 

Tony

This is sad, mostly because it obviously has been way to many years since I visited the museum, but there is a lot of water between us.  Anyway, it still remains one of my favorites airplane museums I have ever visited.

11 hours ago, Harold55 said:

This is sad, mostly because it obviously has been way to many years since I visited the museum, but there is a lot of water between us.  Anyway, it still remains one of my favorites airplane museums I have ever visited.

Yes Hendon is excellent, though I last visited around twelve years ago. Ditto Duxford. 

Will do Cosford for the first time and Yeovilton again sometime over the next year, health permitting.

(Also wouldn't mind finding out that H K Models have scanned a Vulcan.) 

Tony 

• Like 2

I suppose it could be misdirection but they are in the correct part of the Museum for the 109 or Spook - the Beau is in the adjacent bay -  the Vulcan is next door in the former Bomber Command Hall and the Sunderland is in the now ruined former BOB hall....  the IWM Vulcan is probably easier to scan (ie its nose is not up against a wall)

the 109 is pretty original - the and may make sense... but there are quite a few scannable Spey Spooks, SWAM, Long Kesh and DX amongst others, the only other Beaus in the UK are at DX with TFC and The Museum of Flight in Scotland both being under restoration...  given where they are photographed a 109 or Spook seem to make most sense. Given HK like BIG models and have kitted a lot of stuff never done in the larger scales my money is on the 'Toom.. but wouldn't rule out a Beau however IIRC the interior is as empty as their Beaufort...

TT

10 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

the Sunderland is in the now ruined former BOB hall....

Last time I went to Hendon, the BOB hall was still in place. Dare I ask what's in it's place to ruin it? I was sad to hear that the BOB hall was going. After all, it's probably the RAF's most famous battle honour. 

• Like 1

I don't know how to break this to you FS, but most of the aircraft have been dispersed from the BOB hall, most is now touchy feely stuff, they even reduced the float struts on the Sunderland so the cafe would fit. 

Others may disagree of course, but IMHO there is a huge amount of wasted space and it isnt what it was - also they have disposed of a lot of aircraft - eg the B-25 'wasn't relevant to the RAF'.

I'll stop there or I will kick the cat.

TT 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 18/03/2024 at 14:15, k7rkx said:

Clearly it will be a 1/48 Sunderland, There is no need for any further conjecture.

HK have a habit of producing in 1/32 followed by 1/48. I would have said no way they would do a Sunderland in 1/32 but….. after the Lanc and B-17’s who knows??? Never say never

18 hours ago, Bill Mathews said:

someone correct me - but weren't they supposed to be working on a spey phantom years ago ? or was that one of the other chinese manufacturers ? 

either way i'm sure it will be a nice addition to the range - but i'm thinking a Beau as a likely option considering what they've done before - however it's more likely it's like what airfix do - scan a pile of stuff while you're at a site "for future use - maybe" 

They were indeed and they had moved it along (eg box art etc) but then there was some issue with the kit designer and a parting of the ways they had to think about going back to square one. Their 1/32 Spey Phantom was put well on the back burner for another day.   I suspect they might have found space in the schedule and maybe we are now back at square 1. If so I am pre-ordering 2 kits.    HK you hear me?

On 18/03/2024 at 10:01, Stephen Allen said:

Let it be a Beau!😀

Nice but timing wrong maybe. Too quick.  Infiniti we’re going to do a 1/32 Beau but pulled out of future IM kits very recently.   Guys at HK must have packed their bags and got on the bus very quickly if its a Beau.  On the other hand I am working on some Model Monkey interiors and Vector engines for the ancient Revell beastie so maybe it’s the "updating modellers curse". I’ve been caught cutting plastic only to find a mainstream IM new mould being announced before. 

My personal preference is for that unicorn beastie a 1/32. Spey Phantom.  Did I say 2 pre-orders?  Counting  111 Sqn & 43 Sqn and a Senior Service  one - that's 3 then.  Oh and then there is a....................................................

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

1/48 Vulcan B2? Hopefully.... They like doing big things in big scales and I can't think of anything better. 

But I'd still be waiting for any scale Vulcan b1 😕

Adam - ambition man, ambition.  You know you would just love a B1 in 1/32 but a B2 at a push maybe?:D

15 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

I don't know how to break this to you FS, but most of the aircraft have been dispersed from the BOB hall, most is now touchy feely stuff, they even reduced the float struts on the Sunderland so the cafe would fit. 

Others may disagree of course, but IMHO there is a huge amount of wasted space and it isnt what it was - also they have disposed of a lot of aircraft - eg the B-25 'wasn't relevant to the RAF'.

I'll stop there or I will kick the cat.

TT 

I agree it's a bit of a mess at the moment. Probably struggling to find its way as the demographic of both staff and visitors changes. And coming to grips with design mistakes made the past. With the balconies/galleries now closed, it's not really a patch on what I remember as a kid. The first world war stuff is good though.

J

Justin

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Celestialsphere said:

Oh please let the result of the LIDAR scan be the long dreamed of 1/9th scale 'Knowledgeable RAF Museum volunteer attendant' action figure. Please please please!

Complete with voice chip that only says

DON'T TOUCH

• Haha 6

So far, HK Models made only 2 or 4-engine aircraft kits (Do 335 has 2 engines). Not saying they can't make single-engine one but it didn't attract them before and there are still many 2/4-engine subjects to do. I'd put my 2 pennies on 1/32 Beaufighter.

2 hours ago, Marcin said:

So far, HK Models made only 2 or 4-engine aircraft kits (Do 335 has 2 engines). Not saying they can't make single-engine one but it didn't attract them before and there are still many 2/4-engine subjects to do. I'd put my 2 pennies on 1/32 Beaufighter.

The Stranraer is in theme.

Ok, If its HK models we need to look at their kit history to be able to work out the direction they are going,

Lancasters, B-17s, B-25, A-20, D0-335. They are going down a path of large scale prop aircraft and I'm thinking the Beaufighter is extremely obvious if we are going down their usual path

11 hours ago, Celestialsphere said:

Oh please let the result of the LIDAR scan be the long dreamed of 1/9th scale 'Knowledgeable RAF Museum volunteer attendant' action figure. Please please please!

Indeed  - very much looking forward to the first build RFI in the Science Fiction section 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

They should go to the USAFM in Dayton and scan the B-36 and XB-70.

Praps you should go have a lie down😁

• Haha 11

14 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Praps you should go have a lie down😁

For 1/48 scale kits not 1/32, I’m not crazy. 🤣

• Haha 3

Hi

my logic if the team came from hong kong, it is likely to be an aircraft that is only available in the rafm, otherwise they could have scanned aircraft in the americas ? 

so my bet is on a future 1:32  hawker typhoon Ib if is available to scan 

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

A 1:32 Sunderland? I'd crawl over an acre of broken glass for that! (Just so that I can convert it to a 1:32 Sandringham, you understand!)

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

my logic if the team came from hong kong, it is likely to be an aircraft that is only available in the rafm, otherwise they could have scanned aircraft in the americas ? 

so my bet is on a future 1:32  hawker typhoon Ib if is available to scan 

cheers

jerry 

Perhaps as well as scanning and photographing a subject or subjects they were also taking time to access documentation and records on their selected subjects that are particular to the museum archives?

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 2:44 PM, VMA131Marine said:

They should go to the USAFM in Dayton and scan the B-36 and XB-70.

They haven’t created a LIDAR system capable of scanning an aircraft the size of a small planet yet.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Scooby said:

They haven’t created a LIDAR system capable of scanning an aircraft the size of a small planet yet.

The correct term is dwarf planet; blame Neil deGrasse Tyson for that.

• Haha 3