Grumman EA-6B Prowler, VAQ-137 `The Rooks`, USS Enterprise, Operation Frequent Wind, 1975

7 minutes ago, David H said:

Well, i guess the question on everyone's mind is...... how exactly did you approach the infamous canopy design?

Thanks David, it took a couple of attempts, I loosely fitted them to the kit using PVA glue, ran some liquid poly down the seam. taped the join, left over night.

Added plastic strip on the inside, taped either side of the joint and filled over seam. sanded flat with the tape still on and peeled off when happy.

Like I said, took a few tries to get it right.

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, russ c said:

Thanks David, it took a couple of attempts, I loosely fitted them to the kit using PVA glue, ran some liquid poly down the seam. taped the join, left over night.

Added plastic strip on the inside, taped either side of the joint and filled over seam. sanded flat with the tape still on and peeled off when happy.

Like I said, took a few tries to get it right.

Cheers Russ

OK that makes sense.... i can see using some kind of PVA glue to hold things in place on one side. Then, when set going at it from the other side with liquid cement. You kind of wish the folks at Kinetic explained what their thought process was for tackling the problem...

That's a neat looking Prowler. However, there's one small point that you could probably quite easily correct if you wanted. The small triangular panels at the bottom of the front and rear canopies aren't actually clear, they're metal.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hopkp said:

That's a neat looking Prowler. However, there's one small point that you could probably quite easily correct if you wanted. The small triangular panels at the bottom of the front and rear canopies aren't actually clear, they're metal.

Being done at this moment 🙂, Thanks 

OUTSTANDING build Russ :clap:!!! I especially do like the subject, evacuation of Saigon! Beautiful!
As I understand Kinetic's Prowler is far from the easiest kit to put together!?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, boom.boom said:

OUTSTANDING build Russ :clap:!!! I especially do like the subject, evacuation of Saigon! Beautiful!
As I understand Kinetic's Prowler is far from the easiest kit to put together!?

Thanks BB, yeah the wheels go together OK and the tailplanes fitted well, everything else needs a bit of attention and as for those two part canopies........

Cheers Russ

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rod bettencourt said:

Looks great Russ, one of my favorite jets. Question, do you know if you built the older Kinetic kit or the later production one?

Rod

Thanks Ron, I think it was a later one as it had the option to do the wings unfolded. It was the Marines Playboy Bunny one.

Cheers Russ

• Like 1