Airfix 2023

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

A 1/48 Jag would be amazing, especially if it includes the option of a two-seater. 
And I’m desperately hoping for the RAF version of the 1/48 Buccaneer....

Like the idea of the Jaguar single or two seat option, as it's the only way we'll get a two-seater from Airfix — and such would provide very useful spare clear parts for the second and third buy. Alas, it's not Airfix's MO to offer such a major build option. 

Not so desperate for an S.2B but such would make a nice companion to the S.2C (as would an S.1, but I know I'm out of luck), as would too a Gannet AEW.3 or Westland Wasp in 1/48 scale.

Anyway, next Monday afternoon we'll know. I'm heading here as I suspect the Airfix site will be logjammed.

Tony 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wellsprop said:

the tooling in question was (I think) the 1/48 Jaguar.

I think the old Airfix 1/48 Jaguar GR.1 is actually a Heller tool - a by-product of when Airfix and Heller were in the same stable. Heller actually reboxed the kit in 2012 and Revell in 2014; Heller has announced a 1/48 Jaguar GR.1/3 in their 2023 line-up (I assume its this original tool). So I would guess that any future Airfix 1/48 Jaguar would most likely be a new tooling. I do think a new Airfix Jag is a distinct possibility - I actually recall Airfix designer Paramjit Sembhi throwing out a pretty random question during an online discussion, asking what weapons load people would expect on a Jaguar... (it was about 12/18 months ago...). My money would be on one in 1/72.

Rich 

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

For the first time in a long time, I almost don’t care what they do. I still haven’t seen many from the last couple of years for sale here and those that have made it are either hold no interest for me or are too pricey for ‘impulse’ buys (or, a kit that is meh to me but priced accordingly to suck me in anyway).  The mozzie was the last Airfix new tool I bought.  Am waiting for the Meteor and Anson, but who knows when it will get here. 

5 hours ago, noelh said:

Well the email just arrived from Airfix. We'll  find out more on the 10th of January at 4pm. Looking forward to it.

When they'll  be announcing the 1/24th scale F4U Corsair.🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🙏🙏🙏

Has anybody considered a Hawker Hunter in 1/72….?

I’d buy one…or two…

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Rafwaffe said:

Me too friend. Me too…

(and a Lincoln and a Battle and a Hampden…)

Hampden won't be released until Cosford restoration is complete.  I understand that this has been going in 'fits and starts': frustrating for Airfix and certain modelers, but the the free publicity is too good to pass up.  Meanwhile there are lots of other subjects.....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tonyh said:

It would make a huge amount of sense... obvious follow-on to the Meteor, existing Airfix research, iconic British aircraft, saleable in Swedish markings (not to mention others...) and the Revell one is MIA. If the world can find room for two 1/72 Shackletons from different mass-market companies, there's certainly space for two Hunters...

best,

M.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

In vintage classics I would love to see a return of the very old 1/32 old vintage cars. Mercedes, Rolls Royce, etc - would make ideal components of dioramas with WWings.

The Vauxhall Prince Henry would be a good choice for this. It hasn't been available for forty years, and being a 1911-14 production car would go well with an RFC aircraft.

• Like 2

Trying to think like a business rather than a modeller filling holes on a collection, there is perhaps three price points/sizes that Airfix might fill - the £20-30 range, £40-50 and £80-90 (in 1/48 aircraft). At the lower end you could see Vampire variants, a high back Spitfire Mk. XIV or possibly a Mk.XII. A Gladiator might fit there too. At the next level perhaps a Blemheim variant or a Hawker Typhoon - they have the research, the Eduard Tempests seem to have sold well and there's a big gap in the market there. At the top end, an RAF Buccaneer seems obvious or a RN Phantom - again, they have the research and there's a big gap in the market for it. A Harrier or Sea Harrier wouldn't surprise me or perhaps even a Tornado as replacements for the older kits, much as they've done with the Buccaneer. Given the economy, if I had to get I'd say one completely new tool like a Phantom plus two varaiants, say Mk.XIV and a Blenheim.

Edited by Phoenix44

12 hours ago, tonyh said:

I’d buy one…or two…

Yes

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 6:24 PM, Wez said:

If they were canny, they could break the fuselage down in such a way to release a Hunter T.7/8

Well, considering the 1/72nd Vampire and Hunter, accomodating both single- and twoseat versions does not seem something Airfix deem viable these days. 

As for historic anniversaries, the 1982 Falklands / Malvinas seems to have generated no specific releases, so..

Cheers,

Andre

Seems like it's every year we say "this is definitely the year we get the 1/72 Javelin", but I do live in hope.

A 1/72 Hawker Hunter new tool would be most welcome too and seems to fulfil a lot of the criteria Airfix look for in their kits. The only real negative that might be holding Airfix back is that the already very good Revell 1/72 Hunter F.6 does seem to be tooled for the older variants to be issued with new parts on the sprue. It was just something Revell never got around to for whatever reason. Considering the history between the 2 companies (Lancaster, B-17 and Shackleton etc.) it wouldn't surprise me if Airfix announced a Hunter F.1/4 and, just like that, Revell magically re-issue their F.6 with the older mark adaptations hitting the market first.

Otherwise for reissues I'm hoping for the Nimrod as it's a big ol' bomber that is due a re-release and I doubt there's a new big bomber tool going to be announced this year (the Vulcan quite rightly took all the thunder few years back). The Korean War Aussie Meteor kit issue as well but I doubt that will be this year considering we only just got the British Meteor box out. The flashed-over holes in the wings for rockets and the fact it was a combat type (which I suspect always sell better) make it an inevitability though.

Edited by Yes_Man

15 minutes ago, Yes_Man said:

A 1/72 Hawker Hunter new tool would be most welcome too and seems to fulfil a lot of the criteria Airfix look for in their kits. The only real negative that might be holding Airfix back is that the already very good Revell 1/72 Hunter F.6 does seem to be tooled for the older variants to be issued with new parts on the sprue. It was just something Revell never got around to for whatever reason. Considering the history between the 2 companies (Lancaster, B-17 and Shackleton etc.) it wouldn't surprise me if Airfix announced a Hunter F.1/4 and, just like that, Revell magically re-issue their F.6 with the older mark adaptations hitting the market first.

I mentioned in my original post on this subject, Airfix have stated in the past that regardless on whether another manufacturer has a kit available on the subject, if Airfix think they can do a better job, they will.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Yes_Man said:

Otherwise for reissues I'm hoping for the Nimrod as it's a big ol' bomber that is due a re-release and I doubt there's a new big bomber tool going to be announced this year (the Vulcan quite rightly took all the thunder few years back).

Can't see any release of that one any time soon - a number of retailers were stuck with tonnes of them for a number of years and couldn't shift them!

• Like 1

New Workbench out today has details of the new Airfix Club kit - The Meteor F9 in 1/72.

It also includes the follwing para:

By now, most Workbench readers will no doubt be aware that the traditional New Year launch of the latest Airfix range will be taking place at 16:00 on Tuesday 10th January, an occasion which has modellers from all over the world heading for the Airfix website to see our latest model collection. With our usual selection of all new model toolings, additional parts for recent tooling additions, new schemes and re-introductions, this is an exciting time of year for all modelling enthusiasts, and we know that many of you will be looking forward to seeing what the coming year has in store for Airfix fans. 

So I wonder which of the recent tools we will see with additional parts?  1/72 Mosquito, 1/48 Bucc, 1/48 Anson  - food for thought

19 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

So I wonder which of the recent tools we will see with additional parts?  1/72 Mosquito, 1/48 Bucc, 1/48 Anson  - food for thought

I immediately thought of the Beaufort, and some Twin Wasps for the Mk II or early Aussie DAP version. Some extra bits are already in the kit so a Mediterranean themed late Mk I could be done with just a change of decals. 

A PR.34 Mosqutio sounds like a good possibility and if Airfix are kind enough, how about throwing in a proper rear bulged bomb bay fairing (free of charge) to correct the Target Tug scanned fairing included in the original boxing. 

• Like 4