Covid Jab

DMC

On 5/28/2021 at 8:40 PM, Mr T said:

Interesting that Austrian doctors lobby so hard to give injections, is this for everything or just Covid? Over here giving injections is definitely not the prerogative of doctors. 

No, it's not specifically related to Covid. It just came up this time as pharmacies offered their services in order to speed up the vaccination effort. In general, certain occupational groups in Austria tend to be very protective if others try to offer similar services. But I guess it is also about money. Doctors receive a fee of €25 for each jab and get an hourly rate if they work in vaccination centres. That way, some family doctors earn more per month than some chief physicians.

• Like 1

When I my jab at the GP's office, I had to wait an quarter of an hour before I could go home. I met one of our former modelling club members at the surgery of whom had a bowel cancer removed some years ago and is still in remission, but now has been given a diagnosis of early onset Parkinson's.

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

No, it's not specifically related to Covid. It just came up this time as pharmacies offered their services in order to speed up the vaccination effort. In general, certain occupational groups in Austria tend to be very protective if others try to offer similar services. But I guess it is also about money. Doctors receive a fee of €25 for each jab and get an hourly rate if they work in vaccination centres. That way, some family doctors earn more per month than some chief physicians.

Hmm, Mrs T worked all yesterday (Saturday) giving Covid jabs at the surgery. The team giving the jabs consisted of one GP, who had to be there, Mrs T as an ANP and three practice nurses and in the vaccination centres there is usually one doctor, some nurses and a lot of people vaccinating who are not nurses or even working in health care (my nephew being one of them). The practice (not the GPs) get the money for vaccinating. Paying GPs €25 a shot does not seem a particularly cost effective use of the cash or their time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

Hmm, Mrs T worked all yesterday (Saturday) giving Covid jabs at the surgery. The team giving the jabs consisted of one GP, who had to be there, Mrs T as an ANP and three practice nurses and in the vaccination centres there is usually one doctor, some nurses and a lot of people vaccinating who are not nurses or even working in health care (my nephew being one of them). The practice (not the GPs) get the money for vaccinating. Paying GPs €25 a shot does not seem a particularly cost effective use of the cash or their time. 

I agree with you that it is not especially effective. I mean, we don't even vaccinate during weekends and bank holidays, only between Mo - Fr. There are already experts who warn that we will not manage herd immunity (70% or more) till autumn and risk a massive 4th wave (like the Seychelles who have a surge in coronavirus cases even though 60% of its population was inoculated).

Problem is that certain occupation groups enjoy privileges which were granted to them decades ago (basically monopoles) and they and their unions fight tooth and nail against any change or reform to the status quo. This makes any reforms hugely unpopular in the decision-making bodies and leads to a rigid, expensive and outdated administration which is almost impossible to adapt to current needs.

The problem is not new and reared its head multiple times during the last years (like tobacconists who enforced that they should be the only ones allowed to sell E-Liquids and not private shops or the Taxi driver union which intervened to the government to force private ridesharing companies like Uber or Bolt to comply to such a rigid rule set that they either stopped service at all or had to severely reduce it).

Ok, I stop here before it gets too off-topic or political. Let's just say we are in a race to reach herd immunity before the next wave hits, and we still allow us the luxury to have the brakes engaged.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2021 at 10:01 PM, Mick4350 said:

I had to wait an quarter of an hour before I could go home.

Same here, complied on my first jab but not on the second, I had no ill side affects so felt OK to leave. I feel it is a 'cover all bases' policy and is a bit 'nanny state' for me......although, the caveat here is that if you have any known underlying conditions then it is a wise thing to do.

Very impressed with the set up and running of vaccination system.

40 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Same here, complied on my first jab but not on the second, I had no ill side affects so felt OK to leave. I feel it is a 'cover all bases' policy and is a bit 'nanny state' for me......although, the caveat here is that if you have any known underlying conditions then it is a wise thing to do.

Very impressed with the set up and running of vaccination system.

Where I had my first jab you only had to wait there 15 minutes if you were driving home, so I left straight away. Even if I was driving I would rather go for a 15 minute walk than sit in a pharmacy for that time.

• Like 1

Madame X had her second jab yesterday (I had mine a few weeks back now).  Her appointment was at the local cricket club & she was advised to watch the cricket match for 15 minutes before leaving.  I wouldn't mind - but I was the one doing the driving :doh:.

She said she has experienced no side effects this time round - but did quite enjoy the cricket - well it was a lovely sunny afternoon yesterday :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

My mum got covid three weeks ago, she's ok now, didn't need the hospital luckily. We share the same house so that was interesting. I'm not working right now and she was lucky to be off for a month during it all. I did have to force her to call for a test otherwise she would've wrote it off as a cold and ate more garlic like she always does. My auntie who she sees quite often has been sick with something for about 3-4 weeks. She won't go in to get looked at, very stubborn. It could be serious but I gave up on trying to tell people to do something for their own good. I had two tests done and I'm ok. At the end of the month, my mum and I are scheduled to get our first shots. I have a friend who is very antivax and I do listen to what he says to see that pint of view. It becomes very muddled and confusing. In Manitoba we have a premier who is reactionary and not (don't know the word) taking action pre-emptively. This just feeds the antivaxers even more even though they voted for him, but now hate him, there's a contradiction).  i try to listen to science more than heresy on FB and such. Guess hearing stories from both sides just makes it more confusing. But I like to see situations from all directions to help make decisions.

Just had the first jab in NZ - Pfizer. Easy booking, no hassle, had to wait 15 minutes afterwards until they give you your vax card back. No side effects after 36 hours too.

Edited by Jo NZ
mi spelink

I had my second jab today. I was warned that because I had already had Covid and was suffering from Long Covid, that I would have side effects from the second jab. Two hours gone and no side-effects at all. Booster jab in the Autumn to follow according to the nurse.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Booster jab in Autumn?  Ok.  I didn't get any side effects from my 2nd one, so I'm not overly worried, apart from having to interact socially with other human beings.  I've kind of got out of the habit :blink:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Booster jab in Autumn?  Ok.  I didn't get any side effects from my 2nd one, so I'm not overly worried, apart from having to interact socially with other human beings.  I've kind of got out of the habit :blink:

I know exactly what you mean about the interacting with other humans. I was never keen at the best of times, but I can’t help but feel anxious when I’m anywhere near more than a handful.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lasermonkey said:

I know exactly what you mean about the interacting with other humans. I was never keen at the best of times, but I can’t help but feel anxious when I’m anywhere near more than a handful.

Some of them are awful.  Some are nice, and some are meh.  Can't abide the first type, and try to keep the nice ones.  I make an exception for @Julien though :wicked:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm not overly worried, apart from having to interact socially with other human beings.  I've kind of got out of the habit :blink:

As I am grumpy and anti-social by nature, I haven't really noticed any difference!

Dave

• Like 2

Busproplinerfan. Next time you see your antivax friend ask him how he would like to see his friends and family die unpleasantly or be seriously ill of the infectious diseases vaccines that have either been eradicated (smallpox and very nearly polio) or far less common (TB, measles, rubella, etc.) He is entitled to his opinions and it would be interesting to hear if he saying anything new, but having spent a lot of my career in nursing with last part teaching healthcare law and ethics, his views have a moral impact. 

Sorry for sounding preachy, but this is something I feel fairly passionate about. It is not nice seeing people die from relatively preventable conditions. 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 9

At this point I don't care about the anti vaccine fools. Let them play Russian roulette with their lives. What they can't seem to grasp is that those of us who've been vaccinated can still carry the virus without symptoms. That's not just true now but into the future. 

So next year when life returns to normal, a vaccinated person might catch a new and more deadly variant with little or no symptoms to us but pass it on to the anti vax doubter and kill them. 

It's all a bit Darwinian. Covid isn't going away, it will continue to damage and kill people into the future. Those who refuse to protect themselves will suffer the consequences. 

There is no perfect vaccination but it reduces the odds and that's enough for me. 

10 hours ago, Mr T said:

Busproplinerfan. Next time you see your antivax friend ask him how he would like to see his friends and family die unpleasantly or be seriously ill of the infectious diseases vaccines that have either been eradicated (smallpox and very nearly polio) or far less common (TB, measles, rubella, etc.) He is entitled to his opinions and it would be interesting to hear if he saying anything new, but having spent a lot of my career in nursing with last part teaching healthcare law and ethics, his views have a moral impact. 

Sorry for sounding preachy, but this is something I feel fairly passionate about. It is not nice seeing people die from relatively preventable conditions. 

I'm looking for stories like that, you work in it so you see first hand. I don't deny it just like to look at it from first hand accounts. 

Had both my Pfizer jabs for some now, never had side effects from either, not even a sore arm and was jabbed on seperate arms ... bit disappointed I have not become magnetic and I'll leave that bit cryptic as it could get political and the world is crazy enough already, but if you follow news you will know what I'm alluding to :)

Regarding the 15 min wait before release after vaccine, had to do that too both times, but I'm sure its just good medical practise, they advise and have done long before Covid for that and other jabs.

It is now 18 hours since my second jab and thankfully no side effects except for more peeing as I expelled the gallons of water I drank to keep hydrated.

Dave

1 hour ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I'm still waiting for any side effect.....

There's where I went wrong!  :doh: I must have missed the side-effect line.  Silly me ;)

Took Minister For War for her 2nd Astra Jab early this morning. No side effects thus far. She did say that the 2nd jab was more painful than the first though.

Regards,

Steve