Covid Jab

DMC

I just received my second Moderna shot yesterday afternoon, so far it is the same as the first one was, about four hours afterwards my shoulder feels as though someone punched me, I hope that, like last time, that is all the side effects I go through. They explained what some of the possible reactions might be and I said "So, that means if I go out in the back yard and bay at the moon that's all on me?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Any medical intervention carries a degree of risk and the trick is to see if the often very small risk of something going wrong with the intervention is outweighed by the much larger risk of the disease or condition that is being treated. Although not a fuss has been made, it appears all the vaccines carry a risk of clots, it seems to be something tied up to  Covid itself. As we learn more about medical interventions, how we deal with stuff changes. An example. When I started my nurse training 40 years ago, the standard treatment for a fractured neck of femur was traction and keeping people in bed for weeks. This caused a lot of problems, not only about getting people mobile again but also a fair few people died and a fair few went a bit bonkers  Fast forward to the 2021. Old ladies with fractured neck of femurs have a hip replacement and are got out of bed first day post surgery, often the op is done under local anaesthesia with a bit of sedation, which avoids the very real risks associated with general anaesthesia. 

People really start to asking themselves some hard questions like: Do I risk catching a highly infectious disease that has a significant mortality rate and a number of nasty side effects, or do I have a vaccine that has a very low risk of side effects and a good chance of preventing me getting the disease or at least reduce the severity of any infection. 

• Like 6

First question at first Covid jab. Are you on blood thinners? If so, which one? Clotting was obviously considered from day one.

Same with the anaphylactic shock - you have to have the AZ shot if you carry an Epipen.

• Like 2

Anaphylaxis is always asked about when starting a new treatment, or at least should be, even if it something that has been around for years. Asking about clotting is not surprising when thinking about Covid and it provoking PE, it really seems to screw around with the immune system. 

What is interesting is that the media etc getting its collective knickers in a twist over the risk of clotting with the AZ vaccine (no mention of Pfizer which also carries a risk), whilst the contraceptive pill carries much, much higher risks as does long haul air travel. 

• Like 6

On 14/04/2021 at 23:23, Sidders said:

I’m 46 years old and managed to book appointments for my 1st and 2nd jabs via the NHS website Monday evening.

1st one being this Saturday and 2nd on July 3rd! 

Exactly the same as me. Could have got one a few weeks earlier but I thought the phone call was a scammer so ignored it.😳

NHS website was really good and simple too. Good luck.👍

• Like 3

My first vaccination was Monday 08 02 2021 and was Pfizer jab, mentioned it deep in this thread at time! 

Like Bentwaters, they asked me, are you on blood thinners? and I said yes, because I am as part of underlying health condition and they went on tell me after a few more questions and explanations I was getting Pfizer, the current worry of blood clot came out much later, its a standard question Nurses ask for anything really when dealing in injection into blood stream I think, most likely you have more chance of being struck by lightning or winning the lottery than being hurt by getting any of the Covid vaccines ... shrugs, easy for me to say on Pfizer for first one, but who's to say Pfizer may not have issues too in the future? I sincerely hope not and all others are as safe as can be too, no medicine is 100% safe and probably never will be, but considering the severity of the Covid 19 Pandemic, something had to be fast tracked as soon as was reasonably tested with volunteers ... I was happy to do this, it is still optional and not enforced, we have to remember that too.

Having said that though, have my appointment with Jabs Army for my 2nd vaccine (love the NHS) on Thursday 22 04 21 next week and that's well inside the 12 week window from first one to be effective, but will be asking to make sure it will be same Pfizer one again, really don't think you can mix them? If it were other variants would be asking the same ... just for peace of mind.

What a grim 18 months or so for all of us its been though, globally and for everyone, we've all lost a lot and we are really all in this together, we are a strong species though and will come out of this better, imagine lots of changes in coming years, but perhaps well overdue, we are going to see a new normal and all this will go down in history.

Take care everyone, stay safe.

Mean that sincerely

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wife and I had our second dose of the Pfizer vaccine this morning just over ten weeks since the first and only very general health questions asked.

Was I in any vaccine trials? , Have I ever had a bad reaction to any vaccine? , other then my first Covid vaccination have I had any other vaccinations since the Flu jab last autumn? , how did I feel today? and that was it other than a warning that flu-like symptoms were more likely with dose 2 and if so take paracetamol and fluids in the short term and medical advice if persisting after 48 hours.

Still not receiving Radio 2 though or does my dentist have to retune my fillings for that side-effect to work?

• Haha 3

On 4/16/2021 at 5:19 PM, One 48 said:

but will be asking to make sure it will be same Pfizer one again, really don't think you can mix them? If it were other variants would be asking the same ... just for peace of mind.

When I got mine last Saturday the nurse specifically said that as I was getting Pfizer this time, I'd  be getting it next time too - I don't think they mix and match :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Still don't actually know when my first jab will occur as it will be done by my GP.  She has 500 or so patients in the 1b portion of the jab of which I'm in, but my doctor only receives only 50 vaccinations per week from last week and I will be amongst the last of that group despite my stage 3B kidney failure.

I did receive my annual regular flu jab this last Monday.

Being part of the firefighter/ambulance community, I received my first Moderna shot in December and the second in January.  Absolutely no ill effects whatsoever.  Despite multiple potential Covid-19 exposures from patients, not a single member of our agency has reported any symptoms or has shown positive in any test. I find it difficult to understand the reluctance of some easily defined subsets of our population (either ethnic or political) to accept the inoculation. Its value is proven and refusal is foolish. Being part of a herd, unless we are considering "herd immunity" is not always wise and sometimes comes at great personal risk.  

• Like 2

Got my second Pfizer shot this morning, about nine to ten weeks since first, so far so good, had no side effects last time, hopefully none this time either, asked how I could prove I'd had them if needed and was told, call your GP they will have the records, would rather have had a card like some area's give, but not complaining ... Apparently Scotland are working on Covid passports for those that ask for them, just glad to be vaccinated at this point and see things slowly open up again.

Hope you all get trouble free vaccinated soon.

• Like 3

I'm getting my second shot today (Saturday) - not bad for a bloke of 56 - but I do have a few 'conditions'.

Wish me luck - Steve

• Like 6

Second Jab today, so still too early to see if any effects. Really smooth process and the NHS, GPs and local volunteers have done an incredible job. 

• Like 4

This morning I have a circle of skin around the jab about 3/4 inch diameter which is paler and sightly sunken, like one of the jabs I had as a kid. Minor sensation at the site but apart from that, nothing.

• Like 2

Got the second Pfizer jag on Tuesday as planned. Very slight muscle stiffness in my shoulder but otherwise no side effects. No sensible information from the vaccinator about how I prove I've been vaccinated beyond saying it's up to the Scottish government.

• Like 1

I think most people get the sore arm side effect, I certainly did too. I had a slight feeling of roughness, like I had been given a strong sedative, but nothing too heavy and it wore out overnight. At least I know that something inside me was kicking in.👍

• Like 1