Hurricane Trio - Arma and Airfix 1/72

"If you WANNA"?????

It may help them if they spoke English!

Glad you got it sorted anyway. Did the wiring look like it was done by an Indian? (full credit given to HRH Prince Philip).

Ian

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CedB said:

Just like that, thanks Giorgio :D

Thanks Keith - yes, not their best grammar eh? :D 

Well, guess what?

BBC iPlayer has 22 episodes of 'Goodness Gracious Me' available and the 'Johnathan' sketch is the first sketch in the first episode!

Cheque please!

Had to go look it up, I get it my name is Dennis. However twelve years of teachers continuously called me Denise, the Feminine option. It got to be such a joke that all my classmates would wait for it every year and laugh when it was called out. I stopped fighting it after about 6-7 grade and would just respond “Here” or “Present” in a funny voice to try and embarrass the teacher. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, CedB said:

One of these:

50114906002_31720ff150.jpg

That reminds me of the " new " control panel in the new control room, at the plant I worked at, way back in '81. By '88, after the plant fire, we got a new Honeywell system that was a major step up, with touch screen. 

Chris

• Like 2

Hmm, I was just wondering while perusing a Baron build that I hadn't seen a link to a new Ced build.

I must have missed it as not only is there one but three ongoing.

I have the Airfix kit and the Arma plus some overtrees so perfect to watch along now that I am caught up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brandy said:

"If you WANNA"?????

It may help them if they spoke English!

Glad you got it sorted anyway. Did the wiring look like it was done by an Indian? (full credit given to HRH Prince Philip).

Ian

Indeed - I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for the fact that I'm sure they moved the jobs because they can pay them less. Globalisation? Tricky… :D 

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Had to go look it up, I get it my name is Dennis. However twelve years of teachers continuously called me Denise, the Feminine option. It got to be such a joke that all my classmates would wait for it every year and laugh when it was called out. I stopped fighting it after about 6-7 grade and would just respond “Here” or “Present” in a funny voice to try and embarrass the teacher. 

Kids are so unkind aren't they Dennis? I share your feelings - with a name like 'Cedric' I was open to all sorts of taunts from the 'less evolved' in our community.

I like to be called 'Ced' - mainly because I was only called Cedric at home when I was in trouble! :D 

15 hours ago, dogsbody said:

That reminds me of the " new " control panel in the new control room, at the plant I worked at, way back in '81. By '88, after the plant fire, we got a new Honeywell system that was a major step up, with touch screen. 

Chris

Thanks Chris :) 

ICL's 2900 Series was the last colourful computer IMHO - 'Hot Orange' it was called. After that everything went grey and beige. With some stylish brown highlights. :( 

8 hours ago, philp said:

Hmm, I was just wondering while perusing a Baron build that I hadn't seen a link to a new Ced build.

I must have missed it as not only is there one but three ongoing.

I have the Airfix kit and the Arma plus some overtrees so perfect to watch along now that I am caught up.

Hi Phil! :) Both kits are great once you know the slight 'pitfalls' - I think you'll enjoy them.

Some progress this morning as I de-stress from daily harassment by text (still waiting for one… fingers crossed).

Catching up the Arma 'kit' to the others.

I realised, perhaps too late, how the fuselage internals fit the floor in the wing - look, the frame goes into slots:

50118570561_cf2031e460_z.jpg

I made sure the bottoms of the frames were really clean this time.

The i/p went in without problems, just glued to one side:

50118607806_282bac5dfe_z.jpg

As PC recommended I've made sure the ends of the 'V' frame are sanded flat and had a bit of a fiddle trying to fit it (and the seat) through the bottom but no joy.

I'll fit them as instructed to one side just before close up.

With that extra care the join is much better:

50118044588_dc5896baf9_z.jpg

Not glued yet, of course.

I've also fitted to the controls to the floor:

50118062458_a23d7ceb8f_z.jpg

• Like 18

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Kids are so unkind aren't they Dennis? I share your feelings - with a name like 'Cedric' I was open to all sorts of taunts from the 'less evolved' in our community.

I like to be called 'Ced' - mainly because I was only called Cedric at home when I was in trouble!

Not only kids Ced. My Full name is Benedikt Maria Budde. Some of the authorities forgot to underline my second prename in my documents. So it's also not underlined elsewhere in my Id card passport etc.. I like that name nowadays., but as you can imagine my school fellows called me Maria, Marry, Benedikte and so on.  Not enough, I get official posts/mails to Frau Budde, Frau Benedict (french female name) Maria... from time to time. Last year I  phoned with one of my dentists crew for a meeting and they asked me, if it would be ok, when my wife could make the appointment at that date and if she doesn't mind, that I  make that for her.:shrug: I said no.

I don't explain these things anymore.. I introduce myself personally normally then with a slight pejorative look and it works mostly.

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
prename not surname
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I realised, perhaps too late, how the fuselage internals fit the floor in the wing - look, the frame goes into slots:

50118570561_cf2031e460_z.jpg

This is why I watch a CedB build thread. I built mine and didn't spot this.

Next time though.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I like to be called 'Ced' - mainly because I was only called Cedric at home when I was in trouble!

Funny you should say that.

Our daughter is Sally Anne. She was only ever called Sally Anne when she was in trouble!

Otherwise, Sal or Sally. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bbudde said:

Not only kids Ced. My Full name is Benedikt Maria Budde. Some of the authorities forgot to underline my second prename in my documents. So it's also not underlined elsewhere in my Id card passport etc.. I like that name nowadays., but as you can imagine my school fellows called me Maria, Marry, Benedikte and so on.  Not enough, I get official posts/mails to Frau Budde, Frau Benedict (french female name) Maria... from time to time. Last year I  phoned with one of my dentists crew for a meeting and they asked me, if it would be ok, when my wife could make the appointment at that date and if she doesn't mind, that I  make that for her.:shrug: I said no.

I don't explain these things anymore.. I introduce myself personally normally then with a slight pejorative look and it works mostly.

Cheers

Crikey Ben, I thought I had problems with Cedric! Makes you strong though eh? :) 

10 hours ago, AliGauld said:

This is why I watch a CedB build thread. I built mine and didn't spot this.

Next time though.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair - you probably assembled yours properly! :) 

10 hours ago, Whofan said:

Funny you should say that.

Our daughter is Sally Anne. She was only ever called Sally Anne when she was in trouble!

Otherwise, Sal or Sally. 

…and I bet it was in your gruffest voice too, eh John? :) 

10 hours ago, giemme said:

This ARMA kit is coming along pretty well, Ced :clap: Lovely job on the interiors

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

The second Arma is together:

50120908327_767251f169_z.jpg

I need to choose the pilots. Thanks to Simon ( @Beard ) I now have more to choose from - they arrived this morning. 

Thanks Simon! :D 

• Like 14

6 hours ago, CedB said:

I need to choose the pilots. Thanks to Simon ( @Beard ) I now have more to choose from - they arrived this morning. 

You're welcome and I'm sorry there was only one manspreading pilot. You can tell which manufacturers kits I've been making though.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Well that's looking clean Ced.

Thanks Cookie :) 

2 hours ago, Beard said:

You're welcome and I'm sorry there was only one manspreading pilot. You can tell which manufacturers kits I've been making though.

Thanks Simon, much appreciated - as always. I have plenty of man spreaders so he won't be alone :D 

Which kits? Oooh, a quiz - we're all doing lots of those nowadays eh?

I think…

50121169133_9985382c97_z.jpg

…these are Airfix, of course. Archie, slot back and two new Spitfire pilots (I think)

These?

50121170983_652aa7ece5_z.jpg

Airfix Luftwaffe and then four… um… no idea. Here are the brown ones (am I allowed to say that? 'Pilots of colour'?):

50121966292_b9835836e7_z.jpg

They look grumpy eh? Might be the colour. Might be the shiny plastic. Might be the holes in their tummies…

No idea though. Are they Japanese??

Empennage this morning.

The Airfix tailplanes and rudder went on with ease. I DO like these new tools that don't wobble. Nice

The Armas. New to me so…

How should this centre gate be cut off?

50121113648_bf3e97abd6_z.jpg

Answer: Straight across the end of the flat bit.

DO NOT DO THIS:

50121696881_7b197c3e0f_z.jpg

See the '16' on the instructions? That's the elevators - a separate part. 

I did realise after I'd panicked, turned over the page and found nothing.

I'm used to the bits being shown 'exploded' with arrows showing their location. Here 15 & 16 are already together.

No worries, the TET hadn't quite cured so off came the rudder and the tailplanes were eased up at the back.

Which way up do the elevators go? This way:

50121133673_421190960b_z.jpg

If you look at the outer hinge you can see it fits into this slot:

50121139748_34f2433ca9_z.jpg

…in the tailplane. Nice feature (once you know) that allows you to drop the elevators if required.

If your elevators are bent, it's upside down. As me how I know.

I also found the rudder fit to be very tight. TET in the groove and on the bottom of the rudder and LOTS of pressure got it in in the end and the resultant assembly is impressive:

50121719006_4eae40db1a_z.jpg

Three ready for gap checks, filling and sanding:

50121942947_69386a944b_z.jpg

• Like 19

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Three ready for gap checks, filling and sanding:

50121942947_69386a944b_z.jpg

You're a war machine, Ced - proceeding at fast pace :clap:  :D 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Spot on with the Airfix ones but the manspreader comes from the Airfix P-51 and the other four are from the Revell (Matchbox) Swordfish (the pale ones) and Matchbox Lysander (the dark ones).

Nice work on the Arma Hobby Hurricane BTW. I've got the wings and empennage on mine so it's ready for paint.

Thanks Keith and Giorgio :) 

1 minute ago, Beard said:

Spot on with the Airfix ones but the manspreader comes from the Airfix P-51 and the other four are from the Revell (Matchbox) Swordfish (the pale ones) and Matchbox Lysander (the dark ones).

Nice work on the Arma Hobby Hurricane BTW. I've got the wings and empennage on mine so it's ready for paint.

Oooh, thanks Simon. Swordfish and Lysander eh? Nice :) 

Bit of a diversion this morning. I reached for my small stand only to find an Invader lurking there.

Had to go on the ceiling:

50122060671_31e8a898e8_n.jpg 50122285022_f8b365fee8_n.jpg

Funny how my newer builds are being hung lower than older ones (fnaar!)

Hopefully, eventually, some of them won't be seen at all.

Not the Peacemaker of course - still showing that off :whistle:

The Airfix radiator is on, with a bit of encouragement:

50122081436_36d950c3fe_z.jpg

That done, I tried to fit the pipe thingy in the wheel bay:

50122327437_9cbf588996_z.jpg

Well, that doesn't work.

Did I fit the tank in the wrong place? Who knows.

I was about to search for other builds to see how they got on when I realised I was going to do this:

50122347412_f2049965f4_z.jpg

So there.

I've sanded the seams now and, as there's only sticky out bits to do, this will be put aside ready for pilots and canopy.

Armas next. Wheels up. Hmmm…

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

wow Ced. Sounds like you've had some challenging ah... ehrrr ...challenges over the last few days of this build. 

It looks like you're coming out on top. For the most part anyway. Sometimes upside down, sometimes back to front, but mostly on top.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:
1 hour ago, Beard said:

Oooh, thanks Simon. Swordfish and Lysander eh? Nice :) 

The Lysander is done but I'm yet to do the rigging on the Swordfish..  *shudder*

• Like 1

On 15/07/2020 at 17:49, keefr22 said:

Unplugged it

Sadly, a lot of people don't...

I did have a special secure* terminal start smoking and catch fire on me once. Lots of Mission Impossible jokes after that one!

Regards,

Adrian

* "secure" = "four times the price and technology four years behind the current standards"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Had to go on the ceiling:

50122060671_31e8a898e8_n.jpg 50122285022_f8b365fee8_n.jpg

Funny how my newer builds are being hung lower than older ones (fnaar!)

Hopefully, eventually, some of them won't be seen at all.

Not the Peacemaker of course - still showing that off :whistle:

Hi Ced,

I just had to say that the B-36 is awesome (not a term I use often), my ghast is suitably flabbered! And is that a Sea Fury?

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Do the Arma kits have the pipe thingy? I've not spotted it on the sprues.....

Looking forward to the next instalment :)

Kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

Funny you should say that.

Otherwise, Sal or Sally.

…and I bet it was in your gruffest voice too, eh John?

Sometimes. Other times it was exasperated, cross or alarmed. Usually cross🙄

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2020 at 12:08 AM, CedB said:

Crikey Ben, I thought I had problems with Cedric! Makes you strong though eh? :) 

Could be worse than that. E.g. Horst Bärbel or so.  I'm calm and relaxed (geschmeidig) on that  at all.  Always nice to hear, when people say "nice and unique name". I also like  to meet people that don't checked it. I like their faces when I walk in and say "Hello I'm here for my appointment: Mrs. Budde at ten o'clock." Priceless!

Btw The kits coming along very nicely. Fine work Ced. The Invader looks also rather nice there.

Cheers

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Well, that doesn't work.

Did I fit the tank in the wrong place? Who knows.

I would say, yes, you did fit the tank in wrong. Wrong side up, to be exact.

50055394622_eb1348cf86_b.jpg

But, as you're building it wheels up, no worries!

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1